Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:46 PM   #1
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Basic question about using iPod as a USB 'mass storage device'

I'm thinking about getting a new iPod, and the thing that _was_ clinching it for me is that, in addition to its primary function (music, of which I only have about 5Gb on my computer), I can use the remainder of the memory to back up the data on my iBook (w/ only 18Gb HD).

But the thing that's suddenly REALLY appealing to me is the possibility that I can use it to transport large-ish files (more than one CD's worth, say ~2-3Gb) between home and my work computer. At work they make me use a PC w/USB only (no firewire), but it accepts devices that conform to the USB 'mass storage device' standard. Will the iPod work this way? I mean, should I expect to be able to plug it into my work PC with the USB cable and have it show up as a 'drive' on my desktop?
sandman42 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:57 PM   #2
seamuskrat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to seamuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to seamuskrat
Good and Bad news

USB 1 or 2? That will make a huge difference.

The iPod is supported by Apple for one platform at a time only. So, technically you cannot use it as you wish officially.

That said, as long as I am not syncing music between the two and only data, a Mac will read a PC formatted iPod just fine. A PC cannot read a Mac formatted iPod.

Since you have the iPod on the Mac with music from the Mac, I do not see how this can be done. Like I said a Mac can read the PC format but not vice versa, however Mac iTunes won't play nice with a PC formatted drive.

So, you can use it as a data storage device but not MP3 device.

Maybe invest in a 512 meg USB Flash disk. I use those and for simple files it works great. For typical Office docs a 256 should do you well, and works out of the box with both systems.
seamuskrat is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:12 PM   #3
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamuskrat
Since you have the iPod on the Mac with music from the Mac, I do not see how this can be done.

Maybe invest in a 512 meg USB Flash disk. I use those and for simple files it works great. For typical Office docs a 256 should do you well, and works out of the box with both systems.
Dang, that's bad news. It woulda been pretty slick -- I record TV to my iBook a lot using EyeTV, but it creates files that are too big to transport via CD or CD-RW (plus that's a little bit of a tedious process). If I could just save them to the iPod, then just plug it in at work and have those files available, I could be watching the Tour de France in a little window while I work.

Unfortunately, because the files are too big for a CD, they're also too big for a 512Mb card or equivalent -- they're often too big even for a 1Gb microdrive. I have a 256Mb card and card reader, and that works fine for transporting files that will fit, but it's only good for about 25 minutes of TV so it doesn't really work for that.

Thanks for the info, although you've spoiled my justification for finally springing for an iPod!
sandman42 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:35 PM   #4
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

...might work after all?

Sorry I asked the question before I saw this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=81110, but now I wonder if I could use the iPod as I want if I had the Macdrive software installed on my work PC?

In other words, what I want to do is:

- Buy an iPod and format it for Mac

- Sync it with iTunes on my iBook, but also store files on the space left over

- Use 'macdrive' (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/13831) to read the files on my PC at work

Anyone have any experience with using Macdrive to read files from a Mac-formatted iPod?
sandman42 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Ilikemacs
macrumors newbie

I've run into a problem with transferring large amounts of data using an iPod. I have a 3rd gen. 20 gig iPod that will not read certain characters, one being a question mark, others I'm not sure about. So unless there are none of these characters in the file names I can't copy the files. This may not be a problem with the updated iPods, it also may be solveable.
Ilikemacs is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 05:27 PM   #6
PHARAOHk
macrumors regular

Couldn't you partition the iPod drive and choose windows format on one of the partitions for cross platform file transfers?
PHARAOHk is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 05:52 PM   #7
CalfCanuck
macrumors 6502a

MediaPlay - third party software solutions

If your compnay isn't too strict about it, you can install a third party solution that lets Windows machines mount Mac hard drives.

I use their flagship Macdrive, but MediPlay has a program XPlay just to let Mac formatted iPods be seamlessly read by Windows boxes. I think it's about $30 (MacDrive is $50 and well worth it).

oops... forgot the link
http://www.mediafour.com/
CalfCanuck is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers