Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WordPress 2 for iPhone Now Available

Blog software publisher WordPress today announced that WordPress for iPhone 2 [App Store, Free] is now available. The new version, which is a separate application from the original WordPress app and thus can not be obtained via the App Store's update mechanism, brings a number of new features for those looking to administer their WordPress-based blogs on the go. The most notable changes include:

- Faster, more efficient user interface with various other refinements and bug fixes
- Keychain storage of passwords
- Automatic saving and restoration of blog posts in case of loss of network connection
Quote:
Our efforts were focused on creating a better user experience -- the beginnings of a user interface overhaul that we'll continue with the next version, and eliminating the bugs and incompatibilities with some self-hosted WordPress setups that was the source of the majority of the support requests we see in the forum.
Article Link: WordPress 2 for iPhone Now Available
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Sounds real good. I do like the original WP iPhone app. I've only used it to write an entry twice but it's nice.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:59 PM   #3
infowarfare
macrumors 6502

Location: Reykjavik, Iceland / Stockholm, Sweden/ Los Angeles, CA/ New York, NY
I don't get why they didn't have this as an update to the original app; if they are both free and there will now be no reason to keep the original app they should just update the original to this 2.0 version (but having to remember all of my passwords and user names by switching to a whole new app will be a pain!) Just doesn't make sense...
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
design-is
macrumors 65816

Wordpress iPhone dev blog says:

Quote:
MT October 29th, 2009 at 6:06 pm **reply
Between version 1.x and 2.0, ownership of the app in the App Store changed from a subcontractor to Automattic. I guess this is fairly uncommon, because creating a new application in the store was Apple’s recommendation for our situation. Shouldn’t have to happen again, though.
so fair enough...

I also don't use it often, but will definitely upgrade/download... It is free afterall

/Doug
design-is is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
OneMike
macrumors 68040

About to test this out now. Hopefully the features I really want will be implemented

posts look fine but looks like not all pages are showing up. Same problem in version 1

Last edited by OneMike; Oct 29, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
OneMike is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
not too bad - did a quick test post to my blog ( www.costabunny.com ) and all looking good - hopefully Ill actually post more often now I can do it on the move (I never remember when I get home as 13hr shifts take it out of you)....

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
mrtune
macrumors 6502a

I wrote a few posts on one of my blogs today with this updated app. Works pretty good. They finally fixed the issue with the photos uploading in reverse from how you added them in the app. They now show up in the same order as the app.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:11 PM   #8
stagi
macrumors 65816

Cool, I do like the existing app for a quick blog entry but it was very basic in what it could do. Look forward to seeing what the new app offers
stagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Pundle
macrumors member

I wonder what the reasoning is behind making it a separate app? Plenty of users won't be aware this new app exists.
Pundle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:23 AM   #10
Toronto111
macrumors newbie

A new, more efficient user interface that makes it faster to switch between comments, posts, and pages.
* Various user interface refinements and bug fixes
* New Comments interface, with Gravatars and the author URL shown in the comment list
* Passwords are now stored in the keychain
* Posts are now automatically saved and restored if network connection is lost during publishing
* Added persistence, so the app re-opens in the blog you last used
* Added an interface for manually entering the XMLRPC endpoint for non-standard setups
* Fixed rotation-related visual glitches
* Fixed errors where malformed XML prevented access to XMLRPC endpoint
* Fixed edge case where local drafts were sometimes not saved
* Fixed the order of photos so that they’re displayed in the order they’re uploaded

WordPress for iPhone is an open source application and is available free from the Apple App store.
Toronto111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:10 AM   #11
fusse
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowarfare View Post
I don't get why they didn't have this as an update to the original app; if they are both free and there will now be no reason to keep the original app they should just update the original to this 2.0 version (but having to remember all of my passwords and user names by switching to a whole new app will be a pain!) Just doesn't make sense...
They're probably just releasing the new 2.x branch separately by convention. But I can't see why the passwords would be an issue, since you'd change them regularly and have a procedure for that anyway... right?
fusse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:18 PM   #12
doug in albq
macrumors 65816

Wordpress 2 for the iPhone is getting some pretty bad reviews at iTunes app store...hope they fix that stuff.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 02:48 AM   #13
theBB
macrumors 68020

It works quite well for me, but mine is a new and very simple blog. Maybe that's why it is good enough for me. So far there is only one bug: If I sync iPhone app when I have a draft on prepared through the desktop web browser at wordpress.com, it stays on the app even if I later delete the draft through the web browser.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:10 AM   #14
kjanice2009
macrumors member

Great! I do like the original WP iPhone app... anyway, worth to try!
kjanice2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:50 AM   #15
aggleam
macrumors newbie

hepl me plzzzzzzzzz

I am having this issue as well. I simply don't know where to look for the Local Drafts - there is no folder or anything, so the post seems to disappear out in the open.

Using iPhone 3.0, Wordpress-in-iPhone 2.0, selfhosted wordpress 2.8.4.

Where are the Local Drafts supposed to be found? Because they might be there, I simply cannot see them. Have created a 5,6 small new posts, all saved to Local Draft, but I cannot find any of them.

Thanks in advance
aggleam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:41 AM   #16
kites4sale
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggleam View Post
I am having this issue as well. I simply don't know where to look for the Local Drafts - there is no folder or anything, so the post seems to disappear out in the open.

Using iPhone 3.0, Wordpress-in-iPhone 2.0, selfhosted wordpress 2.8.4.

Where are the Local Drafts supposed to be found? Because they might be there, I simply cannot see them. Have created a 5,6 small new posts, all saved to Local Draft, but I cannot find any of them.

Thanks in advance
Great ideas here - thanks for sharing peeps.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion