Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:18 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

"Rivals prepare August attack on Apple's iPod"

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: \"Rivals prepare August attack on Apple\'s iPod\"
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
so since when is the hPod supposed to have a 60 GB capacity?
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:20 PM   #3
rikers_mailbox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
You beat me to it.
rikers_mailbox is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:27 PM   #4
millhouse_man
macrumors member

Bring it on Creative. I can't wait to watch a movie on a 3.8 inch screen!
millhouse_man is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 04:33 PM   #5
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse_man
Bring it on Creative. I can't wait to watch a movie on a 3.8 inch screen!
What are you supposed to do; hold that thing up to your face? And it's US$499.
bbarnhart is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 05:10 PM   #6
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

The competition hasnt been able to compete up till now and I am not expecting to see that change. The only way the competition is going to get a foot in the door would be if Apple cant get enough iPod minis to market on time and customers get pushed into buying an alternative music player.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Photorun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy
The competition hasnt been able to compete up till now and I am not expecting to see that change. The only way the competition is going to get a foot in the door would be if Apple cant get enough iPod minis to market on time and customers get pushed into buying an alternative music player.
I think the competition will catch and pass Apple in the future. Why? This is Apple, legends for blowing it when they have all the cards and superior everything, it's amazing they've never been betamaxed. NOT saying it as a slam on Apple, I love Apple, own stock in them, just have watched them since I began using in 1982 (II days) be brilliant and do dumb stuff to drop the balls or not capitalize.

That being said, will they be trounced in August? Uh... no. Why? They got hype right now still solidly on their side, they can barely keep up with demand and that doesn't change overnight unless they can link an iPod to 9/11 (Dubya/Cheney could BS the American people/world of this I'm sure, but they're too busy eliminating other freedoms for now). And these offerings really wont make much of a dent in Apple's lead, not yet, until they're offering 100 GB craptacular but craptacularly cheap "iPod killers" starting at $49 while Apple keeps theirs at $399 for a less capacity, then things will change. For now, August will continue the year of the iPod, the competition can only sit back and do what they always do of Apple, copy and make lousy imitations of the best.
Photorun is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 06:38 PM   #8
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
ok besides the tiny a$$ screen to watch your movie and an overblown price, video just isn't at the stage where it makes sense for a portable. the point of an ipod or the original walkman for that matter, was to allow you to have portable music to do activities like sports or what have you and enjoy your music. video is cool, but is it really practical?! the only way anyone is gonna beat apple, is to make a larger capacity, much cheaper, similar quality, and compatible with any music format player.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 06:55 PM   #9
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
The iPod won't be going anywhere for a while. Even if there is a better alternative out there, people won't buy it. The average consumer thinks of iPod as the mp3 player. Sort of like "walkman" means a tape player. It is the player. Even if some of the competition may have more features and all, iPod has so much momentum right now, and do you know how much of a marketing campign a company like Creative would have to do to beat the iPod. That would be impossible. If Dell hasn't taken down Apple yet, I dont' think anyone will for a while at least.
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:07 PM   #10
ITR 81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ITR 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmithMacEd
The iPod won't be going anywhere for a while. Even if there is a better alternative out there, people won't buy it. The average consumer thinks of iPod as the mp3 player. Sort of like "walkman" means a tape player. It is the player. Even if some of the competition may have more features and all, iPod has so much momentum right now, and do you know how much of a marketing campign a company like Creative would have to do to beat the iPod. That would be impossible. If Dell hasn't taken down Apple yet, I dont' think anyone will for a while at least.
This is the same reason all these award programs are giving away iPods and not Dell Jukeboxes...because if they did ..no-one would enter.
ITR 81 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:24 PM   #11
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Imagine if it did, and that was the distinguishing difference between the iPod and the hPod? Maybe HP can sell it at $499 while Apple decides not to sell it at all because they don't see a point. Maybe Apple isn't releasing one soon because HP is the one to do it?
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:33 PM   #12
JDOG_
macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see this guy reveal his sources regarding the 60GB hPod rumor since it's been generally denied by anybody whose big up in Apple. The only lead for that I could see was that faux pas regarding Toshiba's 60GB microdrives a month or so ago.

Some pictures of these "ipod killers" included in the article would be cool too.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 05:01 AM   #13
svenas1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOG_
I'd like to see this guy reveal his sources regarding the 60GB hPod rumor since it's been generally denied by anybody whose big up in Apple. The only lead for that I could see was that faux pas regarding Toshiba's 60GB microdrives a month or so ago.

Some pictures of these "ipod killers" included in the article would be cool too.
Yeah, me too. Strangely, there was an auction on ebay a few days ago, where someone was selling a link (get this) to a site where you could buy a 60 GB iPod. I mailed the bloke, telling him he was off line, as these babys don't exist yet. He mailed back saying these were preproduction models... Sounded like a scam to me, I can't believe ppl are alowed to sell their mules. NDAs need to be violated...

Hours later, the auction was down.

Last edited by svenas1; Jul 24, 2004 at 08:31 AM.
svenas1 is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 06:10 AM   #14
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
For capacity rumors, hPod == iPod. There has been a lot of speculation about when iPod will use the new drives, and everything that's come out of HP suggests that the HP-branded units will be built alongside the Apple-branded ones. HP wouldn't need be tracking Apple's product revisions quite so closely otherwise.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 07:29 AM   #15
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsebastian
ok besides the tiny a$$ screen to watch your movie and an overblown price, video just isn't at the stage where it makes sense for a portable. the point of an ipod or the original walkman for that matter, was to allow you to have portable music to do activities like sports or what have you and enjoy your music. video is cool, but is it really practical?! the only way anyone is gonna beat apple, is to make a larger capacity, much cheaper, similar quality, and compatible with any music format player.
Video in the sense of feature films or TV programming isn't what will eventually sell devices like this. They will catch on when they sell for under $100 and have 7-inch color displays. They will be the missing link in home digital photography, to replace photo albums.

Really, we can already see the demand now. How many times have we been forced to look into the tiny viewfinder of someone's digital camera to see what was just shot? Oooo, look at this one, and this one!

People can already drop the trips to the photo counter by loading their little cards into a home PC, and printing out the good ones on an inkjet. But it's slow, and you can't help but think that those little bar graphs showing the ink level should be marked in currency instead of percentages.

Most of the shots end up living on the computer -- not a bad place, in some ways. It sure beats having shoe boxes full of old prints that need to be sorted and stuffed into albums one of these years, and it's easy to browse through the stuff using something like GraphicConverter or IrfanView, but it's really tedious to share the photos that way. Everyone has to gather around the computer to see them, or as an alternative they can go into the DVD player and everyone can sit around the TV. The bigger screen makes viewing a bit more comfortable, but it's still duplicating the old slide projectors, and everyone hates sitting through a slide show, listening to narration we couldn't care less about and being held captive until the sequence is finished.

The 7-inch portable display thingy would be just right. It's roughly the size of an envelope full of prints, so you get about the same kind of social setting you would with paper prints or an album -- comfortable for one or two viewers at a time, and it's sitting on a lap or a coffee table so people can look up and away and talk about them. Even the tiny movies digital still cameras can take would work well at that scale.

A toy like that would work well enough with syncing, but it would lend itself well to a wireless connection too. Photos and small movie clips don't take that long to transfer. The bandwidth needs of a full-fledged wireless remote display don't apply.

Where a device like that would fail miserably is if it tried to do too much, like the devices discussed in the article. It just gets more expensive and complicated to operate, and makes a lot of compromises because there isn't room for an interface conducive to all those different activities. And look at the size of those things! They're just too bulky to carry around in the same manner as an MP3 player.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 02:08 PM   #16
nagromme
macrumors G4

Maybe a device that does too much--adding cost and complexity beyond what music playback ought to need--is really a good way for a company to sell something to a smaller group of people. It could be a profitable product on a smaller scale, without beating the iPod. It may have its place.

It must be hard to be an Apple competitor, and every time you make a move, it's reported in a headline that advertises the iPod
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 04:42 PM   #17
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
Maybe a device that does too much--adding cost and complexity beyond what music playback ought to need--is really a good way for a company to sell something to a smaller group of people. It could be a profitable product on a smaller scale, without beating the iPod. It may have its place.
I guess there must be someone who actually buys all that weird stuff from Brookstone and Sharper Image, so sure, there will be buyers for these gadgets somewhere.

I can actually understand Sony making their pocket VAIO and stuff like that; they've always made expensive but wicked nice niche toys alongside their mainstream junk products. Years ago I picked up an incredibly small Walkman cassette with stereo recording (and the built-in microphones were really nice!), EQ, Dolby, radio, metal housing, the works -- but it was ridiculously expensive compared to the larger mainstream models. Same for the original MZ-1 portable Minidisc recorder, and the little DAT Walkman recorders they used to make (maybe they still do?). The cassette machine died a horrible death during a house move, but the others are happily collecting dust and still work fine on the rare occasions I drag them out. They were all fun and even useful back when they were new.

Creative and Samsung I have a hard time picturing in that market. Maybe they could do the niche thing, but it seems weird to picture them that way. iRiver don't really sell in huge volumes anyway, so they might be pleased as punch with something that sells on a small scale.
Quote:
It must be hard to be an Apple competitor, and every time you make a move, it's reported in a headline that advertises the iPod
Yeah. I do wonder if it's the manufacturers who are telling the press that these things are positioned against the iPod, or if the writers are coming up with this on their own.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 04:57 PM   #18
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Since when was the hPod a threat or competition to the iPod? Apple makes money off both and the nagain through the music store.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion