Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
McKenna
macrumors newbie

Question Help! iBook screen broken, being held ransom by a computer fixing place!

Hello,

I got an iBook in April 2006 right before they released the MacBook. About two years later, I saw something pushing the plastic outward off the screen, right about where it says 'iBook'. I stuck a fingernail in to try to get whatever it was out (oops) and my screen immediately went black. You can still make out whats on the screen, but just barely.. mostly where the light is coming through the Apple logo.

I just recently took it to get fixed, and they are saying it's going to cost 500 to fix, because it's something with the logicboard. I'm not computer-savvy at all, but I'm not convinced I didn't cause some sort of damage that should be relatively cheap to fix.

Can someone educate me on what might be the problem before I pay the 50 service charge just to get my broken computer back?

Thank you!
McKenna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:16 AM   #2
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Check this:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Wiki/iBo...graphics_on_it
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:02 PM   #3
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

500 to fix it... sounds like
A) ********
B) a new computer, if you want
Either way, you only pulled out the LED backlight inverter. You could disassemble it and plug it back in, but the LCD assembly is somewhat difficult to take apart from experience.
XboxMySocks is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Genesiscreative
macrumors newbie

Thats bizarre because the plastic is pushed out on my iBook in the exact same place....either way its not cheap to fix these. Bummer.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:35 PM   #5
californiak
macrumors newbie

It's either the fluorescent tube backlight known as CCFL or the inverter board that it plugs into. LCD inverter sell for about $10 and CCFL the same, about $10. On Ebay. Inverter easy to replace, CCFL extremely difficult. Both located on the bottom behind the iBook logo

Good luck,
californiak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
old-wiz
macrumors 604

No iBook is worh 500 pounds to fix. You could get a refurb or used MacBook for that kind of money.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs