Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
The "New Zune", iPod killer has been out for a month or two, why hasn't Apple been brought to it's knees? Right after the new Redmond wonder came out, it got awful quiet around here. Maybe Windows 7 will give the Zunee the final push it needs to dominate the market........:rolleyes:

TheEvilDonut

macrumors member
Maybe because the Zune is only available in one market (US) while the iPods are available world wide?

Maybe because there are thousands upon thousands of apps available for the iPod Touch?

The only thing that I find absolute GENIUS on the Zune platform is the Zune Pass. If only Apple could wake up and offer something on iTunes!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
But doesn't your Zune Pass music vanish if you stop paying the monthly fee?

If I remember correctly, users get to designate ten songs per month that are theirs permanently. All the others would vanish, I guess.

Besides, I thought the word for Zune wasn't "fabulous"-- I thought it was "Crackalackin'!" :D

/obscure?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Because there is sadly software that is worse than itunes to use. If the software was better to use, or at least allowed the usage of switching to UMS, I know at least 4 people who would have switched just for the better sound quality.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
iPod Killer? NOT!

The "New Zune", iPod killer has been out for a month or two, why hasn't Apple been brought to it's knees? Right after the new Redmond wonder came out, it got awful quiet around here. Maybe Windows 7 will give the Zunee the final push it needs to dominate the market........:rolleyes:

Apple has nothing to worry about! :D

I just picked up a Zune 4GB at a Black Friday sale, thinking it might make a good gift. After a day of checking it out, it became apparent why they were on sale so cheap. BTW, no, I don't think it would make a very nice gift.

The only way this thing could kill an iPod is if the iPod laughs itself to death.
This has just gotta be the work of secret Apple operatives in Redmond.

The good points:
Nice packaging.
Good sound quality.
FM radio that can "tag" songs for later purchase
Apparently decent battery life.

The bad points:
-Unmarked, oddly shaped and awkward main control button/pad.
-Cheap "feel".
-Cheap plastic appearance.
-Cheap looking and feeling "back" and "play/pause" buttons.
-Poor color selection.
-The LCD has a wide black bezel under the glass. The outer glass is 2.5", the -LCD is 1.8". Yuk! (Yes, the Nano has a bezel too but not as large)
-In a misguided attempt to blend in with the black bezel, the screen text is tiny white letters on a black background. (MS- you're not fooling ANYONE)
-Compounding the tiny white single line-spaced text is inconsistent scrolling action on the touch-sensitive control pad which must be pressed in quite a bit without accidentally scrolling to an undesired menu item.
-Cannot be used from within MS's own Windows Media Player.
-The slow Zune software must be installed, which wants to take over all Media playback.
-No Mac support.

Basically, it's just another generic MP3/Video player except that you can't just copy files to it..
One that at first glance is trying to catch a few iPod Nano sales... If you stand waaaay back and squint really hard, it looks Nano-ish.

Hah! It's a 1/2 price Nano? It wasn't a great deal at 1/3 price.

The only reason I can think of to buy one is to get an FM radio that can "tag" songs for later purchase.

Have Fun,
Happy Holidaze,
Keri

PS, Use of this turkey on an XP netbook was annoying. Perhaps Win7 has some built-in support?

PPS. Yes, I know that this is the "Cheapest" Zune. MS needs to realize that impressions made by a low-end model will nearly always factor into later purchases. They would have been much better off spending a little more on a 2.2" screen (like Nano did), better controls and better "feel", finish and colors. Yes, it would cost more but wouldn't be well, a pathetic laughingstock that scares off repeat customers.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Zune is hardly competition to Apple at this point. At this point, I think Apple's software is as big a reason for the iPod/iPhone's success as it is the hardware. None of the other stores/playback interfaces are nearly as intuitive or easier to use as iTunes/iTunes store.

The Zune software and WMP are really outdated and clunky, even on Windows 7.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The only thing that I find absolute GENIUS on the Zune platform is the Zune Pass. If only Apple could wake up and offer something on iTunes!

Zune pass is just a repackaged failed product from microsoft.

Guess what they had before zune? Microsoft Play For Sure DRM / platform. The whole system was discontinued by Microsoft because they weren't making enough money. Sure, it's genius alright. Genius at extracting money from the unknowledgeable people with short memory.

Microsoft's goal with subscription is to get enough people to sign up, then they'll raise the price, just like how Microsoft tried with vista ($400 for vista ultimate, lol).

Aug 26, 2008
Err...I hate to break it to you guys, but the Zune 4.0 software kills itunes for just playing your library. It's fast, and attractive, two things you cannot say for iTunes 9. I have no idea how well it interacts with an actual Zune, because I do not have one. But for just playing the music you got? Zune is FAR superior. I somehow think most of you guys have never even tried it.

Someone here actually thinks iTunes is a SELLING point for the iPod? It's more like a necessary evil to use that thing.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I would never buy the Zune just for the fact that it doesn't work with iTunes.
Yes, that is the biggest reason I love my iPods/iPhones. Itunes makes everything so easy.

The Zune would not allow me to sync my thousands of TV shows bought in iTunes along with my purchased music. I have too much invested in the iTunes music store to have to buy it all again just to get it on a Zune.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Err...I hate to break it to you guys, but the Zune 4.0 software kills itunes for just playing your library. It's fast, and attractive, two things you cannot say for iTunes 9. I have no idea how well it interacts with an actual Zune, because I do not have one. But for just playing the music you got? Zune is FAR superior. I somehow think most of you guys have never even tried it.

Tried it. Don't agree with you.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009

Someone here actually thinks iTunes is a SELLING point for the iPod? It's more like a necessary evil to use that thing.

I used the Zune software once last year and once around a month ago and didn't like it. It wasn't any faster on my system than iTunes 9, and I didn't like the interface and lack of certain options that iTunes has. I guess everyone has their preference, but I really think the iTunes/iTunes Store/iPod is the triple threat to other software/players. I don't think the Zune software is ALL bad, but I really don't think it compares to iTunes either.

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009

Non sequiturs galore.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I too was completely unimpressed with the Zune. The software for it is atrocious.

I'm sorry, I know this is opinion but if you think iTunes is bad and Zune software is better you obviously don't know how to use iTunes.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Zunes are good for those who never had an iPod and those who use Virus Laden Windows OS. The Zune even Gold Plated can not come close to the quality and performance of an iPod or iPod Touch, however I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB and this thing does it all, so where does that leave Zune?

Also Windows Mobile Sucks, I know I just got off a Win Mobile phone on Verizon, can not be happier I switched to AT&T with my iPhone.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Zunes are good for those who never had an iPod and those who use Virus Laden Windows OS. The Zune even Gold Plated can not come close to the quality and performance of an iPod or iPod Touch, however I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB and this thing does it all, so where does that leave Zune?
Can you say rabid.....Interesting to note, the Zune HD in a blind street test was rated better in SQ, one of the KEY factors about a mp3 player, than the Nano was. http://blog.laptopmag.com/tastetest

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Can you say rabid.....Interesting to note, the Zune HD in a blind street test was rated better in SQ, one of the KEY factors about a mp3 player, than the Nano was. http://blog.laptopmag.com/tastetest

I'm not saying that this test is necessarily wrong, but I'm always a little suspicious of these sorts of tests. For example, a tiny increase in volume (not enough to perceive as "louder") will make you perceive the same music as fuller and richer. What steps have they taken to ensure that this is not a variable?

Similarly, an increase in treble and bass can make music sound superficially better in situations when you are comparing two things back-to-back, but may not translate into a better long-term listening experience (which is why so many cheap hi-fis are over-extended at the top and bottom, so they sound impressive in the store).

Aha... just looked at the original article and in the comments the author mentions that "all volumes were set to 50%". Well, this confirms how unscientific they are being. The obvious question is "50% of how much?" because each device's inherent loudness may be different.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
First of all it's just a blog, not a proper test. Why was the zune hd pitted against the nano and not a full sized ipod, that should have been the comparison.
Because last I check and from all the stuff I have seen the Nano is currently the best sounding iPod on the market.

And when they said 50%, they are referring to 50% of max volume I assume. What else can it be.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

True. I bet even little Etheopian kids know what an iPod is.

*Cough*

Attachments

• tribesman_with_ipod.jpg
    tribesman_with_ipod.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 38
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.