Best ear/headphones for listening to iPod - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1
maclamb
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to maclamb
Best ear/headphones for listening to iPod

I am wondering what you think are the best:
1. in-earphoens
2. Noise-cancelling headphones

and why?
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:04 AM   #2
St Soichiro
macrumors regular

Noise cancelling - if you travel by air a lot

I really love my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones, especially during air travel. In a typical year I take 2-3 flights long-long flights - they are amazing then. Work best with white noise. But, they are expensive!

In regular use I tend to prefer my regular iPod earphones.
St Soichiro is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Nspace
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nspace
I am still waiting for my iPod, but with previous mp3 players such as my creative 20gb, I just used standard ear-bud panasonic headphones. I like the earbud style the best for being on the road. So natually I will probably use the standard ipod headphones when it arrives.

When I am at home listening to music and the player can be plugged in or I am on my computer, I have a pair of Sony MDR-v700's. These things are dj headphones, block like all outside noise, fit really snuggly to your head, can go real loud and have amazing bass definition.
Nspace is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:49 AM   #4
Whigga Spitta
macrumors 6502

I HATE the iPod headphones. Maybe I have weird shaped ears or something, but they can never stay in, EVER. The sound quality isn't *TERRIBLE* but I much prefer my Bose QuietComforts. If you can justify spending the money for them, they will be one of your best investments, especially if you fly. Our family has 4 pairs of them, that's how good they are. They are unrivaled in sound quality and super comfortable.
Whigga Spitta is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 07:34 PM   #5
kbonnel
macrumors 6502

I am a real big fan of apples in-ear headphones. They sound fantastic, and reproduce bass real well. not only that, but when I am flying (which is a lot), I don't hear anything other than the music. Another big plus, they are comfortable.

Kimo
kbonnel is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says...the Apple in-ear ones were not availabl;e yet when I got my original 5GB iPod and I did not like the Apple supplied buds much....so I got the Sony MDR-EX70's - really happen with them. I think they've now been updated to EX71's and there is a cheaper version (EX51) too.....oh yeah! **
Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:36 AM   #7
aptmunich
macrumors member

I prefer in-ear (canalphones) as well.

I use either the shure e2 or the shure e3, depending on what mood i'm in

But the shure e2 are excellent value at around $80, which sounds like a lot, but isn't when you consider that these are almost professional musicians quality...

But the sony ex51/71 are also quite good at around half the price

For more info check out www.head-fi.org

apt
aptmunich is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:55 AM   #8
jemeinc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich

But the shure e2 are excellent value at around $80, which sounds like a lot, but isn't when you consider that these are almost professional musicians quality...

apt
I'll second that about the shure e2's... I got a pair at "The Guitar Center" for $79.99 the guy at the store asked me if I was going to be using these to perform on stage with or for my iPod... lol... When I asked how he knew I had an iPod he said the only people that buy them are either performers or people with iPods...

They are comfortable (unlike the iPod earbuds- those things feel like an ear infection to me) & they block all outside noise... I just finished cutting my grass & couldn't even hear the tractor running at all...lol...
jemeinc is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:33 PM   #9
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Soichiro
I really love my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones, especially during air travel. In a typical year I take 2-3 flights long-long flights - they are amazing then. Work best with white noise. But, they are expensive!

I have to agree, I love my bose headphones. I have the first ones there like gold/champage color.... Everyone is so jealous when i can't hear a single thing. There even good around the house.
There expensive but are the best!
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 08:30 PM   #10
Xenious
macrumors 6502a

Yea noise cancelling is great for headphones. Note that for a while American airlines was giving away Bose v2 noise cancelling headphones if you flew business class to london from several american cities.

Also I like the Sony V700DJ's for studio work (nice boosted low end for electronic tunes). And the upcoming Etymotic ER-6i's sound very interesting (if they come through on their promise of increased bass without compromising fidelity).
-jim
Xenious is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:20 PM   #11
suraj
macrumors member

I like my Bang& Olufsen A8's although many will say they aren't worth the money.

They are definately expensive, but they are stylish and comfortable.

suraj is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:39 PM   #12
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Soichiro

For your type of use, do you think that the cost is worth it for the rest of us ?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:53 PM   #13
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Maybe I have strange ears, but, for me, comfortable over-the ear headphones are much better - noise cancelling or not. Not as portable, no, nor as cool. But, listening at my desk at work, I can leave over-the-ear ones on all day. I can't do that with earbuds. My choice is the Sennheiser HD600, but they cost a fair amount. However, I wear them while at work a number of hours most days, and I've had them for years, so it was a good investment.

Noise-cancelling ones are great during travel, but I have no real use for hem otherwise. And they don't sound as good, IMHO, as similarly-priced "normal" ones.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:30 PM   #14
St Soichiro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip NoVaMac
For your type of use, do you think that the cost is worth it for the rest of us ?
Probably not. I am as cheap/broke as the "rest of us" and this is one of the few wanted-but-not-needed items that I have splurged on in the last one year.

However, a week after buying them I got to use them on a last-minute transatlantic flight in which I was seated in the middle seat in the last row (the one that does not lean back) The headphones made that ungodly trip fairly bearable
St Soichiro is offline   0
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:30 AM   #15
JFreak
macrumors 68040

i also recommend the shure E-serie. i myself have the flagship E5 earphones, but that's just because i'm a musician and need those on stage. however, for most of us, the E2 model might be enough to be in awe of how great the music sounds
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:49 AM   #16
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
i have some sony h.ear's. i would have gotten them in pink but circuit city didnt stock them so i got blue. very comfy, fit my ear perfect. sound really good for earbuds which never do sound as good as over the ear.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 01:41 AM   #17
whyrichard
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to whyrichard
etymonic research er-6's are absolutely incredible. expensive, but incredible. i heard things from them and my ipod that i never heard from a cd and a $4000 stereo.

they are incredible.

r.
whyrichard is offline   0
Old Jul 26, 2004, 02:16 AM   #18
geeman
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=whyrichard]etymonic research er-6's are absolutely incredible. expensive, but incredible.

I use the ER4-S Etymotic combined with a headphone amplifier running out of the "line out" of the iPod. Etymotic do a version of the ER-4S specifically for portable players called the ER-4P which, while I haven't heard them myself, are supposed to be very good also.

Etymotic have also just released an "iPod-version" of their ER-6 (much cheaper than either the ER-4S or the ER-4P) in white

Etymontic Research: http://www.etymotic.com/

When I'm travelling (which I do a lot) I use the PocketDock adaptor which is fantastic as you don't have to lug around your Dock:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pd_lineout.html

IMO a headphone amplifier improves the sound output quality immeasurably. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain carrying around yet another piece of kit; but the pros outweigh the cons.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews