Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrNelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
NJ
To all those suffering from performance issues with safari, flash and overall sluggishness of the system try to turn off Airport and turn it on again.

After you turn Airport off the CPU (actually the core that goes through the roof) goes back to normal, and the system is smooth and buttery overall again.

In my case CPU usage went from 68 to 1.25!! right after Airport was turned off.

Please give it a try and report here if that works for you guys.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I also have noticed some crazziness with airport lagging the system, almost like its looking for newtworks endlessly and turned it off and back on and noticed a big change. Snow leopard early bugs i guess. Everything was bogging down till i messed with airport.

Leon575

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Thanks for the tip.
My iMac will be placed right next to my router anyway... so I might just turn AirPort OFF and connect to internet via cable.

sharkync

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
Raleigh
Awesome info - this thread needs to be kept at the top so people can try this and report back.

GOOD JOB!

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Great tip for a temporary solution! Just used ethernet instead.

Thanks!

DrNelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
NJ
Tried it, but the issues comes back again after a few hours of use.

Yeah the problem comes back because there is a memory leak coming from Airport drivers. I think it would be interesting to know if there are other actors involved in this issue, read graphic drivers, hard drive issues, etc.. it might be something else acting up besides Airport.

Until Apple pushes an update, if your mac becomes a turtle this tip will put that turtle on steroids :)

rmg007

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah the problem comes back because there is a memory leak coming from Airport drivers. I think it would be interesting to know if there are other actors involved in this issue, read graphic drivers, hard drive issues, etc.. it might be something else acting up besides Airport.

Until Apple pushes an update, if your mac becomes a turtle this tip will put that turtle on steroids :)

Does the problem come back even if you leave airport off?

DrNelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
NJ
Does the problem come back even if you leave airport off?

I can't test that with safari because I'm far from my router, but when I do other offline work no lag whatsoever, regardless of the application. So that's a good sign...

jmonfire

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009

You guys are just gonna have to wait for SL update 10.6.2
which I think will in many ways, fix most of issues posted in the forum.

ktolani

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
i believe you really dont have to go upto turning yr airport off and back on. just click on the airport, and let the wireless list refresh with the circle thing rotating around on the top, once its done refreshing the network lists the circle will dissapear and the sluginesh nd lags goes away too. (just a simpler/faster way for the temporary fix rather than turning off and on)

kelf

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
can we possibly just turn off the "auto search" by some tweaking?...i mean im no expert on this front, but i cud do tht on my PC...so why not on the mac?

sharkync

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
Raleigh
You guys are just gonna have to wait for SL update 10.6.2
which I think will in many ways, fix most of issues posted in the forum.

I hope you're right. But given past performance with 6.0 and 6.1 - I'm not so sure.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.