Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:32 PM   #1
dhart535
macrumors newbie

Running adblock plus on firefox completely ineffective

I just recently purchased a Macbook pro and have downloaded firefox as my web browser. I installed the add-on adblock pro, and it is without a doubt 100% ineffective; I view web pages and when I place the mouse on top of the icon it tells me it is active, however below it notifies me that it has blocked 0 out of 150 or however blockable items on the given page. I mean absolutely nothing is prevented, I found a similar add on for safari, and the same results, nothing blocked. I must be doing something completely wrong, or something so blatantly obvious, but I really am clueless.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
dhart535 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
psxguru
macrumors 6502a

You got a subscription active? Force an update?
Failing that, start adding your own wildcard filters as you go.
psxguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:52 PM   #3
dhart535
macrumors newbie

No I have no subscriptions, I don't know what could interfere with those functions, something seems inherently wrong. I literally just bought the computer yesterday.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:55 PM   #4
psxguru
macrumors 6502a

I'm just using the EasyList (USA) subscription in ABP, works for most ads. I also have my own custom filters as well.
psxguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Kate.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhart535 View Post
No I have no subscriptions, I don't know what could interfere with those functions, something seems inherently wrong. I literally just bought the computer yesterday.
Subscriptions are what tell Adblock how to work. When you first install it, it asks you to choose a subscription. Otherwise, you have to block ads manually.
Kate. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
dhart535
macrumors newbie

I'm not given any option to choose a subscription when downloading, I just click ok and then it asks me to restart firefox after it's installed.

I found that easy list subscription online and now I am seeing results, and yes I understand the logic that there must be a list out there, I just assumed that abp would already carry it. Bad assumption,
thanks guys and gals

Last edited by ergdegdeg; Oct 31, 2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: merging consecutive posts
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

After you install Adblock Plus and Firefox restarts, it pops up a browser window asking you to select a subscription.

Most of the times I've done this, that window ends up getting hidden behind another Firefox window, so it's easy to miss. And if you're like me and command-Q when you're done browsing, it closes all Firefox windows, so you'll really never have seen it.

Glad you got it up and running!
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604

If you pair Adblock with NoScript you'll be able to eliminate even more ads.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store