Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Well I've had the 3GS for about a week now...
And I know they'll release a 4.0 software update sometime next year, but I was wondering:
What could they improve on in the next gen iPhone besides better battery life, more ram, better processor, and increased storage size?
For instance, iPhone 3G added some "exclusive" features such as gps and 3G data. And iPhone 3GS added video camera, voice control, and autofocus.
But what could they possibly make that has more exclusive features?
I hope not much, because I don't wanna be jealous when the new one comes out. :eek:

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
it could have both kinds of flash, turn-by-turn, front-facing camera, the ability to customize, removable battery, thinner body, bigger screen, and much more.

and I'm not saying it will have this, but these are just possibilities

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
it could have both kinds of flash, turn-by-turn, front-facing camera, the ability to customize, removable battery, thinner body, bigger screen, and much more.

I think he means software wise.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009

That's what I was wanting... POSSIBILITIES... Cuz I wanna see if it would be worth upgrading from a 3GS.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009

That would be very nice, considering the iPhone isn't known for it's very long battery longevity... But it's Apple, and they don't seem to do this for a lot of their hand-held devices.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Of course they could. Theoretically could do all kinds of things: better speakers (stereo?), higher screen resolution, front-facing camera for videoconferencing, WiMax, Wireless N, FM radio, micro USB charging, more bluetooth profiles, multitasking, bluetooth file sharing, UI customization, Flash, support for HD video, better voice recognition...the list could go on and on. But all of these things will, to greater or lesser degree, affect battery life, performance, and their vision for the iPhone experience. The question of whether they could add features is a silly one; the question is what they will add; and that none of us can predict.

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
I don't think we need more or better, in terms of performance, than what the 3G S already offers. Perhaps, with each new addition to the iPhone series, a small bump in CPU speed and advance in Graphics etc is all we need. This can't go on forever, at some point the size of CPU, and amount of RAM and density of flash chip will come to a stop, as Apple will try and maintain the size of the iPhone.

Imagine an iPhone with over 1GB of RAM and 2GHz CPU speed! :eek:

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Of course they could. Theoretically could do all kinds of things: better speakers (stereo?), higher screen resolution, front-facing camera for videoconferencing, WiMax, Wireless N, FM radio, micro USB charging, more bluetooth profiles, multitasking, bluetooth file sharing, UI customization, Flash, support for HD video, better voice recognition...the list could go on and on. But all of these things will, to greater or lesser degree, affect battery life, performance, and their vision for the iPhone experience. The question of whether they could add features is a silly one; the question is what they will add; and that none of us can predict.

Do you want to re-program all of the apps to work on a higher screen resolution?

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I don't think we need more or better, in terms of performance, than what the 3G S already offers. Perhaps, with each new addition to the iPhone series, a small bump in CPU speed and advance in Graphics etc is all we need. This can't go on forever, at some point the size of CPU, and amount of RAM and density of flash chip will come to a stop, as Apple will try and maintain the size of the iPhone.

Imagine an iPhone with over 1GB of RAM and 2GHz CPU speed! :eek:

That is an iPhone that will really overheat. That would be nice but we'll have to see if the hardware can take it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iPhone HD, High Def (720p) video recording and trimming, playback via iPod HDMI cable, 802.11n with new Bluetooth standard for faster p2p connectivity may allow for wireless proximity-based syncing of certain types of data (user configurable) as well as faster internet speeds.

Support for 21.1Mbps networks like the telstra one that's been operating down here for the best part of a year at the cost of an arm, a leg and your firstborn.

Possibly a better screen, if they can build a higher resolution screen without wrecking apps then so be it. At least give us better colour and a fair bit brighter (the Aussie sun's pretty damned bright...)

Class-leading battery life that's not mostly a lie.

Larger capacity.

Louder built-in speaker and a vibrate that would rattle your teeth would be nice too.

I think the design is pretty close to perfect but if they could shave a fraction off the thickness I think they'd have a masterpiece on their hands.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind if it was a tad bit thicker/bigger (I'm talking mm here) so a bit more "guts" could be put in. Higher mp camera with some zoom would be nice. HD video and the like. I see no need for front facing camera or a flash but I know some would like to see that. I would rather have a faster processor, more ram and a higher res screen... and of course a longer lasting battery would be nice.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Do you want to re-program all of the apps to work on a higher screen resolution?

Just make is 720x480. That's exactly 150% of the current phone so it would be simple for the phone to scale everything up 50% larger and it should look pretty good. (Since the display wouldn't be all that much larger physically you'd be both blowing the images up and shrinking them down at the same time.)

I'm sure many programers would want to re-do parts of their apps so they'll look better, but if someone doesn't, no big deal.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

Ughhh...stupid argument. It's not Apples responsibility to do that. If the developers want to continue to sell their application, then they will update and adapt. Simple as that.

Learn2Economics.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
ummm

don't we already have a 100 threads like this iphone wish list etc. oh well I guess when you break it downit's really hard to be original here. oh well have fun.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The camera might get improved, and maybe a dinky flash will get added. The storage capacity will likely increase if 64GB flash chips are available by then.

In 12 months, there is always a possibility of more RAM and a faster CPU. But whether that's worth it is another story. Connection speed is more of a bottleneck on iPhones than the other stuff, but Apple can't do much more about that. Most of the complaints people have about an iPhone are software-related, so don't expect a major hardware change.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That's what I was wanting... POSSIBILITIES... Cuz I wanna see if it would be worth upgrading from a 3GS.

Next year we will probably see lte and tethering in the US. Better security for corporate email will probably come as well. And I think apple will partly copy RIM's cloud offering.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Next year we will probably see lte and tethering in the US. Better security for corporate email will probably come as well. And I think apple will partly copy RIM's cloud offering.

But AT&T doesn't have LTE yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.