Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

does Apple TV work on a TV that is not HD ?? can it be connect via a scart or AV port ??

or in the case of a non-HD TV is it just as good to connect the iPod to the TV?

cheers

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
If you have a EDTV, one with COMPONENT inputs (green, blue, red), then it will work. Otherwise no.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
The Apple TV also only outputs a 16:9 picture so your TV would need to be able to compensate for that if it is a 4:3 set.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
To add to what others have said, :apple:TV has never required an HD capable TV, just ED or HD, but it does 'require' a widescreen TV. From Apple's Tech Specs page for the :apple:TV:

Compatible with enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz.​

If your TV is 4:3 the image will be distorted (compressed horizontally, so everything's tall and skinny), unless your TV has a 16:9 mode, where it letterboxes the image.

Having said that, the other hurdle is getting your TV connected. The :apple:TV only outputs component (not composite) and HDMI, so you need a way to connect to one of those. There is a hack (cited above) for using the component output to connect to a composite input, but I don't have any direct experience with that. I wish I could give you some advice about SCART; I know there have been several discussions about that. I think it requires a converter of some kind, and if I recall correctly it may not be cheap to go from component to SCART (rather than the other way around), which is what you need. You might try searching the forums for 'SCART' and see what you turn up.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Another way to enable composite output is given in post #2 of this thread. Don't know if it works, but this method doesn't require any software hacks. I think that the previously popular method was similar but involved shorting some pins on the adapter. Not sure I'd wanna do that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.