Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Is there anybody that can recommend a tv tuner for me to use? I wouldn't need all the uneccessary options such as recording the television like EyeTv...just a simple/basic tv tuner that allows me to watch tv on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
AlchemyTV is probably your only real option if you want an internal TV card. Formac also make an external firewire TV tuner, the Studio TVR.

You're not going to find a TV tuner without "unnecessary options" like recording they're the main selling points of them.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The Alchemy TV also has the advantage of having no delay like Firewire options, therefore allowing you to play console games using it.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
The tuner is just set up to watch and record. I beleive they all do this because it would just be kind of pointless to not include it. Tivo is just a small computer hooked up to your tv, this is essetially the same thing with your computer with a tuner card.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You could also consider buying a cheap VCR (what are they nowadays, $5 or so? ;)) and an analog->DV converter (or use any relatively recent digital camcorder to do the conversion). $200 or so for the converter (if you don't have the camcorder), maybe $40-$50 for the cheap VCR (if that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.