Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jul 4, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
puckhead193
macrumors G3

12" or 15" powerbook

I thought i wanted a 12" powerbook for college because of the size, i was using my brother's 12" ibook and i thought the screen was small. The next thing up would be the 15". Do you think it will be too big to fit on those tiny desk in a college classroom?
Thanks
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2004, 01:14 PM   #2
BakedBeans
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
I thought i wanted a 12" powerbook for college because of the size, i was using my brother's 12" ibook and i thought the screen was small. The next thing up would be the 15". Do you think it will be too big to fit on those tiny desk in a college classroom?
Thanks
no there quite compact really...with a really great screen......
fast and reliable

go with the 15 if you think the 12 is gunna be 2 small you will only regret going to small...

hope this helps
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Jul 4, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
JzzTrump22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JzzTrump22
I would go with 15. Even if there are small desks, just make sure you keep the computer centered and you should have no problems. I just got a 15" 1.5 for college myself. I love it and i know i can easily take this thing around. Some people claim it's not portable, they should be slapped for being so ignorant!.... J/K. The 15" is totally portable and could easily be used in a classroom every day.
JzzTrump22 is offline   0
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Lia2004
macrumors newbie

yeah i was deliberating also about which to get for college the 12 or 15 ...and i chose the 15 it just has a bit more handrest space and the size of the screen though a measley 3 inches bigger gives you a totally different more spacious view...and as far as the sizes of the desks...you may not have to use your computer for all of your classes...but then again i dont know your note taking habits or course requirements...but generally speaking the desk size shouldnt be that big of a deal..i mean it's not like your gettin a 17
Lia2004 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 08:55 PM   #5
TreeHugger
macrumors 6502

Here's a far out idea

Let me just throw this out here: (please don't flame me immediately)
I think the choice is much more between the 12" and the 17".

From a size wise stand point the 17 inch is only a couple inches bigger, and only a bit heavier. If portability is an issue get the 12. if money is an issue and you do want a bigger screen (when is it not? ) get the 15.

But I think you can't really go wrong with whatever choice you will make.
Nice problem to have, isn't it?

Powerbook 17" 1.5 Ghz
80 GB @5400 RPM
Superdrive, 1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 @ 128 VRAM
TreeHugger is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:55 PM   #6
bigsteve3
macrumors member

As a proud owner of the 12" Pbook, I will say that this is a wonderful machine. Although a bit underpowered for games (although Return of the King is playable), it is quite speedy. That said, I really wish I had paid the extra money for the 15". There are plenty of times when I find myself hunching over to see the small 12" screen, and while clear, this definitely gets old. Listen to the people above: Go with the 15"!

-S
bigsteve3 is offline   0
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:59 PM   #7
belf8st
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve3
As a proud owner of the 12" Pbook, I will say that this is a wonderful machine. Although a bit underpowered for games (although Return of the King is playable), it is quite speedy. That said, I really wish I had paid the extra money for the 15". There are plenty of times when I find myself hunching over to see the small 12" screen, and while clear, this definitely gets old. Listen to the people above: Go with the 15"!

-S
I actually owned a 15" powerbook, but then soon sold it to purchase the latest 12". I found the 15" too large to tote around. I travel quite a bit and the 12" has worked out a lot better for me. The 12" powerbook is an awesome machine. I don't regret "downsizing" at all.
belf8st is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 03:24 AM   #8
BakedBeans
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belf8st
I actually owned a 15" powerbook, but then soon sold it to purchase the latest 12". I found the 15" too large to tote around. I travel quite a bit and the 12" has worked out a lot better for me. The 12" powerbook is an awesome machine. I don't regret "downsizing" at all.
You must be one small dude....because carrying the 15 inch is so easy for me...plus its got huge advantages over the 12 like graphics car and screen size...
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 04:02 PM   #9
dav
macrumors 6502

The 15" is very portable.. The 12" is insanely portable..
dav is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 05:12 PM   #10
MikeLaRiviere
macrumors regular

12"

I use the 12 inch. If you're a user of the 12" you'd never concede that the 15" is "just as portable." While the 15" will fit on a desk without problem, I can use the 12" literally everywhere. This thing is the size of a school notebook. The only time I find the screen small, as I remarked in another post, is after using my boss's 23" Cinema display. Yes: I am doing graphics and web work on a 12" screen, and I have absolutely no problem. You can probably use the 15" book anywhere, but with some effort, no doubt. I had a 14" or 15" PC notebook a year back, and I couldn't do nearly as much with that as I do with my 12" PBook. Working on the train, watching DVDs in the air or car, using it on my lap anywhere in the house - I can't see anything being better suited to portability, without sacrificing much else, than the 12" model.

Don't get me wrong; the 15" PBook is very cool. A coworker of mine uses a 1 GHz version, and I think it's one cool looking machine. But it's nowhere near as portable as the 12". If you're looking to use your 15" at a school desk or at a desk in your dorm, you have found your match. But if you're looking for a computer that you can use anywhere, 12" is the way to go.

Mike LaRiviere
MikeLaRiviere is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews