Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:40 PM   #1
Grimace
macrumors 68040

G5 to Projector: DVI Splitter Needed?

Here's what I'm trying to do: Get a G5 (with a 9600XT [ADC and DVI] to a projector with an digital M1 port.

A few questions:

1. If I want to split the outgoing G5 video signal - can a DVI splitter device like this be used? (some splitters need to be powered - this one doesn't look like it needs anything)

2. (this question irrelevant if #1 answer was yes.) If the DVI out is being used by a monitor, that leaves the ADC port open - can the ADC port go straight into the M1 port? I ask because the two connectors look incredibly similar, and both split to video+usb. Below are pics of (M1 and DVI) and (DVI and ADC)

They looks similar, but they may not be the same. My other option would be to go from ADC--->Composite Video--->M1. There are adaptors which would make that work but it's a little messier. I'd like to stay digital if possible, but component video will do. I don't have funds to buy the new GForce Double Dual-Link Card!!

Last edited by Grimace; Jul 24, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
Grimace is offline   0
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:57 PM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I found this PDF which implies that M1 = DVI + USB. Since ADC = DVI + USB + power, I'd strongly recommend against plugging it into the ADC port, even if it fits - who knows where the power will go and what it might fry?

If you've got a DVI monitor, I think your best bet is to get a cheap ADC->DVI adapter (the one that's $19 at the Apple Store, not the one going the other way that's $99) and use that for either the monitor or the projector. A splitter might work - I don't know if the resulting signal would be strong enough.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
I found this PDF which implies that M1 = DVI + USB. Since ADC = DVI + USB + power, I'd strongly recommend against plugging it into the ADC port, even if it fits - who knows where the power will go and what it might fry?

If you've got a DVI monitor, I think your best bet is to get a cheap ADC->DVI adapter (the one that's $19 at the Apple Store, not the one going the other way that's $99) and use that for either the monitor or the projector. A splitter might work - I don't know if the resulting signal would be strong enough.
Very good solution - that one totally slipped my mind!! The remaining open DVI port will be powered by the computer - that will provide more than enough signal to get to the M1 port via a DVI--->M1 cable.

Thanks!!
Grimace is offline   0
Old Aug 8, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4
s_italy
macrumors newbie

carletonmusic,

Did you actually try using this ADC to DVI connector? How did it work out?

I have a similar problem: G5 (with ADC and DVI) should be connected to VGA monitor and to a TV with S-video.

I'm using DVI to VGA little connector (that goes with each G5) to hook up my monitor.

For TV I was thinking to get (ADC to DVI connector cable - $29 at apple site) + (DVI to S-Video connector cable $19 at Aplle store)

I was confused by a MacMall tech guy saying that these ADC to DVI connectors, displayed on Apple website and produced by Belkin are for G4 and G4 cubes and he wasn't sure if I can use it for G5. On Apple website it doesn't say also that it fits G5. Well, I would guess that ADC ports are always the same regardless of computer...

Please let me know if you tried using this ADC to DVI connector for G5.
Thanks a lot!
s_italy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers