Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Greetings all.

I recently purchased some RAM from a nice woman on eBay. It was advertised to work in Al PowerBooks. However, after I checked the specs, I still figured that a PC2100 SO-DIMM would still work in my Rev. C 12" PowerBook. The native RAM is PC2700. Should this RAM work or do the Rev. C's block out all RAM slower than PC2700? Because, I installed it (properly) and my PB does not recognize that the slot has RAM in it, however, it didn't give me any of the signs of bad/unrecognizable RAM (i.e. not booting up, beeping, visual indicators). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
The RAM is definitely the wrong speed for your system so I'm not surprised it isn't being recognized.

In some cases all the RAM should slow down to the match the speed of the slowest RAM in the system. You system may not be designed to do that though or the stick could be bad.

Either way PC2100 isn't the right RAM for your system and would slow your performance considerably if it did work.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
yeah. your system is only as fast as your slowest ram stick. either that or it becomes unstable. tey to sell it again and get another pc2700 stick. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Yeah, I had figured out what the problem was as soon as I installed it and it wasn't recognized. Oh well, Thanks for the tips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.