Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Hi, I have an Early '05 Mac Mini (Intel) and the thing just now refuses to power-up. I have opened it and everything seems to be connected correctly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Kinda stuck on what to do here.

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Sorry, my mistake.
Tried reconnecting power to motherboard and nothing is loose. Its weird, it just doesn't come on anymore. Anyway to test the motherboard theory?

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I do not know. I am not sure how I can go about testing this either.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I do not know. I am not sure how I can go about testing this either.

From the Mac mini (Early 2006) Service Source manual:

No Power
The Mac mini won’t turn on, no startup chime, no drive or fan sound, maybe no
power on LED
  1. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it’s properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
  2. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the back of the computer.
  3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or iPod.
  4. Reset the SMC. (Refer to Reset the SMC mentioned in this chapter.)
  5. Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power cord.
  6. Try connecting a different power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter.
  7. Replace the logic board.

How to Reset the SMC
The SMC (System Management Controller) is a microcontroller chip on the logic board that
controls all power functions for your computer. If your computer is experiencing any power issue,
resetting the SMC may resolve it. The SMC controls several functions, including:
  • Telling the computer when to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, and so on.
  • Handling system resets from various commands.
  • Controlling the fans.
Note that resetting the SMC does not reset the PRAM. Resetting the SMC will not resolve issues
in which your computer is unresponsive—in these situations, restarting your computer will
generally suffice. If your computer isn’t responding, perform these steps one at a time, in this
order, until the issue has been resolved:
  1. Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape).
  2. Restart (Control-Command-Power).
  3. Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds).
Resetting the SMC can resolve some computer issues such as not starting up, not displaying
video, sleep issues, fan noise issues, and so on. If your computer still exhibits these types of issues
even after you’ve restarted the computer, try resetting the SMC. To reset the SMC :
  1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
  2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
  5. Let go of the power button.
  6. Press the power button once more to start up your computer.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
This is the problem. I dont have the accessories needed to test the power box. And I do not have a logic board. -_-

Did you try resetting the SMC? If so, and that was unsucessfull, then I think an Authorized Apple Service Provider is your next step.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Okay, I just had one more idea come to mind, maybe it's the battery? Here's why, I have an iMac G3, and when it was around 4-5 years old it had the PRAM battery die and the symptom was that it would do nothing. Just like it wasn't getting any power. I replaced the PRAM battery, ($12 from Radio Shack) and reset the PMU (the SMC on newer Macs) and I was back in operation. I know that the usual symptom of a dead battery is that it doesn't remember the date and time (my current iMac G4 has that symptom but still boots) but with the iMac G3 it was effectively dead from the dead battery. Maybe the same is true of your mini. It's the only thing I can think of besides a trip to an Apple Authorized Service Provider at this point.

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Hmm, good idea. Is it the little silver battery standing upright inside of the Mini?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Hmm, good idea. Is it the little silver battery standing upright inside of the Mini?

Yep, it's a button battery in a little black holder:
1xlKQAdcwKWC61Av.standard

iFixit: Installing Mac mini Model A1176 PRAM Battery

P.S.: You might want to correct your sig, according to :apple: Apple: Mac mini (Early 2006) - Technical Specifications your mini is an Early 2006 not 2005. :)

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
No :( the PRAM didn't work. Got the new battery at Radioshack for $5. I don't know what the hell to do now.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

The new Minis are very nice right now. If you can handle $50 a month for the next 12 months you would have paid one off.

I know. Not the answer you need right now. The problem is that computers are not worth fixing anymore. A logic board replacement would probably cost near the price of a new mini (I'm guessing).

s.

mercuryguy

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Tampa
I had similar issue happen to me at work couple weeks back. The mini won't power up, our tech guy found out that the mother board was damaged and ordered a replacement and fixed it. Now I am writing this comment on the fixed mini.

My suggestion is to take it into your nearest apple authorized repair shop.

hconatser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Mac Mini

I've looked it over just about every way I can. This thing is dead. I don't really have the money (or warranty) to take it to Apple. :,(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.