Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 2, 2009, 02:18 PM   #1
iThinkFan
macrumors newbie

PowerMac G3 b&w superdrive upgrade

Hi,

I'm an Apple freak, and so I'm collecting old macs. I have got an old PowerMac G3 b&w/350 here, and because I don't own a desktop computer (I have a MacBook Pro), I'm frequently using it. Manufactured in 1998, it has only built in a CDROM drive, and of course, it's slow and loud.
I have got a DVD burner here, it's an LG GSA-4167B. It is not from a Mac, it's from an old PC. My questions:
- Does anyone know if that drive will work in my G3?
- I already tried putting it into my G3 and trying out if it works. I found that tutorial and followed it, but I wasn't able to get the power plug out of my old CDROM drive. Is there a trick in removing the cord? How can I remove it?

Thanks in advance,

iThinkFan
iThinkFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2
hansolo669
macrumors regular

i find that to remove the power cord from the g3 b&w cd drive(i had one) you should, take a screwdriver and agenst each of the "tabs" on the connector push away using the cd drive as a pivit for your makshift screwdriver lever.
hansolo669 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
iThinkFan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo669 View Post
i find that to remove the power cord from the g3 b&w cd drive(i had one) you should, take a screwdriver and agenst each of the "tabs" on the connector push away using the cd drive as a pivit for your makshift screwdriver lever.
Thanks for the tip I didn't get the connector completely out that way, but suddenly the ODD tray started to move, so I pulled it a bit out to be able to plug out the connector with my fingers.
Then, I swapped the CD drive with my DVD burner and put it all together again. And YES - it's working.
So, now I have got a LG-GSA4167B working in my PowerMac G3 b&w 350MHz. It plays CDs, DVDs (yes, also movies from DVD, smoothly, it's working perfect), and it burns CDs. I didn't test if it also burns DVDs.
To get the burning functionality working, I had to use PatchBurn. After installing the profile and rebooting my G3, it worked.

So, yeah, my G3 is really cool now: It burns CDs (and, as I think, DVDs), it plays CDs and DVDs perfectly, it has 802.11g WiFi... the next upgrades will be USB 2.0 and OS X Tiger, I think
iThinkFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs