Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Wow, I must say, I have always considered myself a tech head and to some degree always have the latest and greatest of gadget wizardry.

Yes, it's ironic that I'm posting something like this because I must've fell off somewhere, where I am actually completely stumped.

Seriously...

I finally got my 24" ACD and 17" MBP, custom with the latest CPU, 4gig, 7200rpm 500gig drive and here I am, I have had the two "devices" for ONE WEEK and I have not yet opened it.

We'll let me be a bit more truthful. I powered up my MBP, went through the welcome screen and upon landing on the "desktop", I was like like, uhhh. Where do I go from here???

I know that the best way to learn is to obviously just play around but even then I literally just shut it down, packaged it back up and carefully, slid it back in the comfort of it's box.

As I am writing this, I'm actually laughing. I'm actually intimidated. The MBP is so beautiful that I don't want to even put a fingerprint on it.

Don't get me wrong, I think...

I know enough of getting myself around the OS but if anyone is out there that can help me first break into this please do tell.

From a brand new PC laptop perspective, oh, I know exactly where to go, what settings to change, etc. etc. etc. to get everything back up and running and onto my network.

For a mac, I'm lost. I know...I should just dive right in but wow I can't believe I'm actually hesitating.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Maybe get a case/ skin for the laptop so you feel better that its protected? Then you can go from there and just dive in! Seriously. I know its what you're hesitatnt towards, but you have a great machine. Make use of it! :)

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Embrace the inevitability of the beginning of its demise, otherwise leave it under the bed!

I already scratched mine and its 3 hours old. I'm over it already ;)

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I am willing to rid you of this problem, send them to me, and then you will not have to worry!:p

There really is only one way around this, and that is to sack up it and love your new toys. You paid way too much for them, to never be used.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Don't worry sometimes it's best to let products acclimate to their new home before you start using them otherwise they might go into shock. ;)

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I know enough of getting myself around the OS but if anyone is out there that can help me first break into this please do tell.
What is there to learn? Clicking icons and using menus?

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
From a brand new PC laptop perspective, oh, I know exactly where to go, what settings to change, etc. etc. etc. to get everything back up and running and onto my network.

Well, first off, is it able to connect to the internet and your network?

Secondly, a good place to start with settings and customizing your environment to be just the way you like it is System Preferences, which is under the Apple menu in the top left of your screen. Just open it up and click around.

Another thing you could do is fire up iTunes and import your music and video library. Fire up iPhoto and import your photo library.

Open Safari and start surfing your favorite sites. If you find you're not happy with the browser, download Firefox and start installing the plugins you like to use.

How's that?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Something ain't right with this thread. Who the hell spends this kind of money and is totally clueless as to what he got?

Sorry but I think we're getting played.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Hahahaha, thanks for the encouragement. Seriously though, I was completely lost. Knowing what to get spec wise versus using the actual device are two different things. I just have to dive in and start clicking around. I guess I know that there are so much things to learn that I'm waiting for that great opportunity to lock myself in the room and just start making mistakes.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to see what everyone's first approach was when they got their toy.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I've had 3 Mac laptops. It's OK to baby them, they'll last longer that way :D

It's also a good idea to get a case, or at least a one of the clear armor sticker covers.

You should also get a keyboard protector if you're going to eat or drink around it. Throw the cover on whenever you're going to close the clamshell, or drink near the machine. It may be pretty dorky, but it can save a lot of heartache.

Other than that, just enjoy it. The best way to acquaint yourself with your new Mac is by using it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.