Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Adobe Points Finger at Apple on 'Get Flash' Page for iPhone






GearDiary reports on a recent change to Adobe's "Get Flash" download page for Flash Player that appears when visited by iPhone users. iPhone users are linked to the page when attempting to load Flash video and have traditionally been greeted with a simple message informing them that Flash was not available for their platform.

The updated text clearly passes the blame for lack of Flash support on the iPhone to Apple, pointing to Apple's restrictions on the use of such technologies.
Quote:
Apple restricts use of technologies required by products like Flash Player. Until Apple eliminates these restrictions, Adobe cannot provide Flash Player for the iPhone or iPod Touch.
Adobe recently launched a Flash Player initiative to facilitate the integration of Flash across platforms, including smartphones. Apple, however, was been notably absent from the list of companies participating in the initiative.

Article Link: Adobe Points Finger at Apple on 'Get Flash' Page for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604
 
thegoldenmackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: dallas, texas
Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
Whine whine whine. That clearly makes Apple fix the problem.
__________________
thegoldenmackid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Adobe is throwin' bows
__________________
Love.
Capt Underpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Underpants View Post
Adobe is throwin' bows
Agreed.

Owch! Damn. Just burned myself on that flame bait ADBE is casting out.
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:09 PM   #5
duke49er
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Like Apple gives a rat's ass.

Took them like over 2 years to get something as basic as MMS on "the world's most advanced phone", why would they care about flash?
duke49er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:13 PM   #6
wackymacky
macrumors 65816
 
wackymacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Putting aside the fact that Flash is crap, fair enough for Adobe for being so frank.
wackymacky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:22 PM   #7
Shookster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Apple restricts use of technologies required by products like Flash Player. Until Apple eliminates these restrictions, Adobe cannot provide Flash Player for the iPhone or iPod Touch.
People don't care about Flash Player itself, they just want the ability to play video in the browser, which the iPhone is perfectly capable of doing. So instead of lobbying Apple for Flash support we should be lobbying web developers for video tag support.
Shookster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:28 PM   #8
tundrabuggy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Talking Everybody loves Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
Putting aside the fact that Flash is crap, fair enough for Adobe for being so frank.
You are in such a HUGE minority of Flash bashers....learn to love it!.....cuz just like taxes, you're gettin' it on your iPhone pal.
tundrabuggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
MacFly123
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
FLASH

Apple does not care to support flash on their devices because it is horribly inefficient and has been holding back progression of the internet for over a decade. Instead of using much more efficient open standards that the world wide web is founded upon, companies like Adobe and Microsoft are more interested in locking you into their inferior technologies in order to maintain revenue! Until Flash dies Apple will continue to support the progression of the internet using approved standards!

FLASH SUCKS! GO SUCK ONE ADOBE!
__________________
- Steve Jobs' best friend!
MacFly123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:32 PM   #10
richardhunt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I disagree that people don't care about flash players. Plenty of sites out there use flash extensively and do not offer a non-flash version. Adding adobe flash capability to the iphone would make it that much better in my opinion. Just because apple doesn't want it, doesn't mean it's not useful. I for one believe that apple "sometimes" listens to it's users, and if enough people complain, apple will react. Think apps for the iphone (remember apple's stand, it's an ipod, not a computer), cut/paste and push service. Background apps seem to be the next barrier to be broken, why not flash?

As far as adobe and MS "holding back" web progression, the whole point of flash is that it is a tool that makes highly interactive media sites easier to accomplish.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:32 PM   #11
DrewG5
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Yeah cuz I just want to see all the advertisements on every page on my iPhone... Flash is a joke at best, every laptop mac or not that I have had it on the simplest flash would get the fans running for lift off...
__________________
PowerMac Dual 1.8, Macbook Pro 15", MacBookPro 13", iMac 24", iPhone3GS, iPhone3G.. Asus EeePc, HP MediaSmart Server, Q9300/nVidia 9800/500Gb SATAII/8 GIG DDR III
DrewG5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #12
KT Walrus
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Apple should bundle the ClickToFlash plug-in into Mobile Safari. It prevents flash from running unless you really want it to run. This should address, in part, Apple's stated reason for not allowing flash (battery drain and stability) as the user would only enable it for those parts of the web that they really want to see.

And, while they are at it, they should enable file uploads in Mobile Safari to upload photos and videos.

I hate only being able to use part of the internet on my iPhone when there is no technical reason I shouldn't be able to do both Flash on demand and file uploads.
KT Walrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
doctoree
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Secret lair/ Earthmiddlepoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post
People don't care about Flash Player itself, they just want the ability to play video in the browser, which the iPhone is perfectly capable of doing. So instead of lobbying Apple for Flash support we should be lobbying web developers for video tag support.
Exactly! And not only video video tag support but the whole HTML5. Much faster and cleaner and ready to replace this flash crap. Good thing Apple is so large that they can actually transform whole markets.
__________________
I just signed my Organ Donor Card because Steve J. asked for it. That's how you know Apples marketing works!
doctoree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:39 PM   #14
supernaut
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Who cares about Flash? Most of the time it's used, it's because the web designers are too dumb or lazy to get the page right without it, because they haven't kept out with what a modern browser is capable of.
supernaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Hemingray
macrumors 68030
 
Hemingray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ha ha haaa!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke49er View Post
Like Apple gives a rat's ass.

Took them like over 2 years to get something as basic as MMS on "the world's most advanced phone", why would they care about flash?
Do you think that was Apple's decision to hold off on MMS, or AT&T pressuring them to hold off because they were afraid it would bring their network even more to its knees? From what I've read, it sounded like MMS was already in the iPhoneOS, just disabled. I don't know for sure though, anyone else wanna chime in on this?
Hemingray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:48 PM   #16
lowbatteries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhunt View Post
I disagree that people don't care about flash players. Plenty of sites out there use flash extensively and do not offer a non-flash version. Adding adobe flash capability to the iphone would make it that much better in my opinion. Just because apple doesn't want it, doesn't mean it's not useful. I for one believe that apple "sometimes" listens to it's users, and if enough people complain, apple will react. Think apps for the iphone (remember apple's stand, it's an ipod, not a computer), cut/paste and push service. Background apps seem to be the next barrier to be broken, why not flash?

As far as adobe and MS "holding back" web progression, the whole point of flash is that it is a tool that makes highly interactive media sites easier to accomplish.
Users don't care about flash, they care about websites. Some site developers seem to care more about Flash than about their users. Therefore, we get crappy Flash "websites" that don't work for the users. Who is at fault here? The developer. It's the developer's job to use technologies that will be future-proof and well, not suck.
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:53 PM   #17
MacUnixGuy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
Putting aside the fact that Flash is crap ...
Yes, flash has issues, but there are several sites that I want to use from the iPhone that require it. It would be good for the iPhone to support it.

Also, there are several enterprise development shops rolling out custom enterprise applications for mobile phones. They don't want to write custom applications for the iPhone, so using Flash/Flex would definitely be attractive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymacky View Post
... fair enough for Adobe for being so frank.
Agreed. The best way for this to proceed forward is for the discussion to be more open. If the current lack of iPhone Flash support is not a technical limitation, but instead an Apple policy problem, then it is best for the community to know that and put pressure on Apple to move forward.

Don't underestimate the power that the community can have for seeing results from this.
MacUnixGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:53 PM   #18
sommls
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
This is almost Microsoft-like: at what point does the public simply become so sick of badly written software from an arrogant company that historically captured a large market share and is now doing everything possible to stifle innovation that it simply moves on?
sommls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:54 PM   #19
locust76
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingray View Post
Do you think that was Apple's decision to hold off on MMS, or AT&T pressuring them to hold off because they were afraid it would bring their network even more to its knees? From what I've read, it sounded like MMS was already in the iPhoneOS, just disabled. I don't know for sure though, anyone else wanna chime in on this?
Well, MMS wasn't available anywhere else in any other market worldwide on the iPhone until 3.0 came out, so no, I don't think it had anything to do with AT&T. That was just a case of Apple trying to tell everyone what makes an advanced mobile device.
locust76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #20
Detlev
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Hmm, support of the standards on one hand (see Adobe apps in the Itunes store) and criticism on the other.

The only thing they failed to do is provide a call to action. There is neither a link to Adobe or Apple. They are expecting that people actually care enough about the product that they will search out a way to provide feedback on the topic to the appropriate powers that be.

If they are serious about making it a cause then they need to do something radical. Pull all of their products from the store, even if it is only temporary. Otherwise, it's just talk.
Detlev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:03 PM   #21
SpinThis!
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I bet Adobe got sick of all the support e-mails asking them "why doesn't flash download on the iPhone?!" Previously, on Adobe's website you could get all the way up downloading the file and mobile Safari would obviously say the file isn't supported. Adobe should have done this from the beginning.
SpinThis! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Darkroom
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montréal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sommls View Post
This is almost Microsoft-like: at what point does the public simply become so sick of badly written software from an arrogant company that historically captured a large market share and is now doing everything possible to stifle innovation that it simply moves on?
WHAT are you talking about?! Adobe clearly isn't the one "stifling" innovation here.

*EDIT* wait, i think that's what you were saying. sorry.

Last edited by Darkroom; Nov 2, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Darkroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:10 PM   #23
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000
 
ThunderSkunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durango, Co
Good

Apple needs to pull its head out on this one.

Flash eats battery! Ok, and? So does fieldrunners. Guess what? I can decide if I want to spend the power playing it!

Flash is full of archaic crap. Well dang. The web is full of archaic crap. Including a lot of flash. But it's still the web, and I still need to access it.

Flash isn't necessary, you can use Java, Wookie, etc... whatever. Ok, sure, I'll just write every website I need to visit to find my travel reservations and itinerary, and have them rewrite their page in a new format.

This stupid tug of war leaves the end users in the lurch. Adobe, clean up flash, Apple, encourage them and accept that it ain't gonna be perfect.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:17 PM   #24
SpinThis!
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookster View Post
People don't care about Flash Player itself, they just want the ability to play video in the browser, which the iPhone is perfectly capable of doing. So instead of lobbying Apple for Flash support we should be lobbying web developers for video tag support.
Developers aren't the problem. A lot of it is Internet Explorer and Microsoft not supporting standards. For one, IE doesn't do much html5. Microsoft will probably never support the svg-based "flash killer" canvas tag. Also, due to bickering on all browser makers, HTML5 doesn't specify a mandatory video format so you have Apple doing mpeg-4, Firefox and friends doing ogg, and IE supporting nothing. And let's not forget users who still run IE6.

Out of the box, most Windows machines don't know how to play MP4 files (unless a user has QuickTime) but most do play flash content. Mac OS X won't play ogg out of the box. So you're left with Flash. As a web developer, Flash is the easiest way to get multimedia, especially video, on your website and looking the same in all browsers. Unless you run a predominately Mac OS X website, HTML5 just isn't ready for prime time yet.
SpinThis! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 05:19 PM   #25
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake George, NY
I actually really hate flash.

But I'd like it on my iPhone since seemingly every important web site utilizes it these days.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Enforces Adobe Flash Player Security Upgrade with Updated Malware Definitions MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 51 Feb 15, 2014 11:04 AM
flash iphone to page plus on ios 7? shatheone iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Oct 5, 2013 09:24 PM
Apple Updates Anti-Malware Software to Block Older Versions of Adobe Flash Player Plug-in MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 40 Mar 9, 2013 04:46 PM
Adobe Releases Flash Player Update to Patch Security Holes as Apple Blocks Earlier Versions MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 162 Feb 15, 2013 09:48 PM
Apple and the whole Adobe Flash issue? klmaj Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Aug 8, 2012 10:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC