Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
gvdv
macrumors regular

How to Import Title Graphic Into iMovie

How would you suggest that I import a multi-coloured logo graphic (.jpg) into imovie and superimpose it on a title 'slide' (the final appearance will be: white lettering on a black background, with the multi-coloured logo .jpg positioned above this)?

This graphic/text combination will be the introductory title to my movie.

Thanks,
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
mwchris
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
How would you suggest that I import a multi-coloured logo graphic (.jpg) into imovie and superimpose it on a title 'slide' (the final appearance will be: white lettering on a black background, with the multi-coloured logo .jpg positioned above this)?

This graphic/text combination will be the introductory title to my movie.

Thanks,
If I understand you correctly you want to put a colored graphic above a graphic with lettering on it?

As far as I know iMovie does not support multiple images layered on to one another on a title or menu screen.

I would make it one image using layers. Then flatten the image and export. Then all you need to do is drag and drop the image onto the title or menu screen or background of iMovie.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
gvdv
macrumors regular

Hi mwchris,
Many thanks for such a quick reply.

Sorry, maybe I haven't been clear. Here is what I want to do.

I want the first image/slide of the movie to be white text on a black background, which I would generate in imovie (not sure if this is considered a graphic as such, but I wouldn't think so). I would also like to import the title logo from my webpage, which is a .jpg, and put it on the same page as this text.

Is this possible?

What app. should I use to do what you suggest (i.e., making it all one image, using layers)?

Thanks,
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:21 AM   #4
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

I would create the entire image outside of iMovie, and only use iMovie for transitions and such. BTJMO.
jodelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
mwchris
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdv View Post
Hi mwchris,
Many thanks for such a quick reply.

Sorry, maybe I haven't been clear. Here is what I want to do.

I want the first image/slide of the movie to be white text on a black background, which I would generate in imovie (not sure if this is considered a graphic as such, but I wouldn't think so). I would also like to import the title logo from my webpage, which is a .jpg, and put it on the same page as this text.

Is this possible?

What app. should I use to do what you suggest (i.e., making it all one image, using layers)?

Thanks,

Ok, I just tried it in iMovie and it can not be done. The only way to insert text onto video is to use a title template. You can not add a image onto the the same portion of video.

The easiest most consumer friendly and probaly easily obtainable and easiest to use would be powerpoint. Create a slide and then export it as a jpg and drag it into your movie.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6
gvdv
macrumors regular

Hi mwchris and jodelli,
Many thanks for your replies and help.

All the best,
gvdv
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:08 PM   #7
xStep
macrumors 68000

I haven't seen in this thread what version of iMovie is being used.

iMovie 09 can have picture-in-picture. People have used that to place logos onto video. Unfortunately the iMovie title sequences all overlay the both images.

Using the above tool, you should be able to make a picture with titling and logo with transparency and import that. You'll have to figure out the right sizing for the end effect.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
gvdv
macrumors regular

Hi xStep,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the version of iMovie that came with OSX 10.4.9 (haven't got the Mac Pro on at the moment, so can't check the version number).

GVDV.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:04 AM   #9
xStep
macrumors 68000

Use the 'iMovie' 'About' menu item to list the version. I suspect that you have some version of iMovie HD. If so, then perhaps GeeThree has a plug-in. I don't recall that version having a PIP effect.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video