Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Little Endian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu
Which is faster My Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 or the new 27" imac?

I'm thinking about purchasing a new 27" imac 2.66 Ghz i5 or the 2.8Ghz i7 option, but I would like opinions about how much faster it would be compared to my 4 year old Quad 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5.

My Quad 2.5 G5 has 4Gb of ram and a Nvidia Geforce 7800GT GPU. For comparison this setup is faster in almost every single way compared to my Unibody 15" MBP 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, with 9600M GT. In many cases the G5 is easily twice as fast, and in few Rosetta app situations it is 3-5 times faster.

So the question is, if I replace my Power Mac G5 with a new quad core i5 or i7 imac, will I finally see performance gains that could justify replacing my trusty G5 or must I buy a new Mac Pro to see performance gains that are considerably better.

I would rather not purchase a quad or Octo core Mac Pro as the imac seems to be much more cost effective, however I have not been able to find any benchmarks that effectively compare the Quad G5s to the latest Intel offerings. Any advice or opinions would be helpful.
Little Endian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Endian View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a new 27" imac 2.66 Ghz i5 or the 2.8Ghz i7 option, but I would like opinions about how much faster it would be compared to my 4 year old Quad 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5.

My Quad 2.5 G5 has 4Gb of ram and a Nvidia Geforce 7800GT GPU. For comparison this setup is faster in almost every single way compared to my Unibody 15" MBP 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, with 9600M GT. In many cases the G5 is easily twice as fast, and in few Rosetta app situations it is 3-5 times faster.

So the question is, if I replace my Power Mac G5 with a new quad core i5 or i7 imac, will I finally see performance gains that could justify replacing my trusty G5 or must I buy a new Mac Pro to see performance gains that are considerably better.

I would rather not purchase a quad or Octo core Mac Pro as the imac seems to be much more cost effective, however I have not been able to find any benchmarks that effectively compare the Quad G5s to the latest Intel offerings. Any advice or opinions would be helpful.
http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/
Matthew Yohe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
21ce
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post
why does it claim the 2009 mac pros to have 16 cores?! Am I missing something?
21ce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
nek
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post
That shows that the last gen 3.06GHz iMac should be noticeably faster than the Quad 2.5GHz G5. And the i5 or i7 will be faster still. There aren't any Mac reviews yet, but a PC comparison of the 3.33GHz Core 2 Duo to the i5 and i7 shows that the fastest of new iMacs would be a good upgrade choice:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3641&p=2
__________________
Reality is just the limitation of what you are willing to believe.
nek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
gugucom
macrumors 68020
 
gugucom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ce View Post
why does it claim the 2009 mac pros to have 16 cores?! Am I missing something?
Hyperthreading. So they are talking virtual cores.
__________________
MP4,1●3,33GHz Octad●2*160GB SSD●12GB RAM●Blu-Ray●FireDTV-S2●SL/Vista64
uMBP●SL/Vista64
TC 2TB iPhone●16GB
gugucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 01:13 AM   #6
21ce
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugucom View Post
Hyperthreading. So they are talking virtual cores.
Thank you, I didn't realize this
21ce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 01:29 AM   #7
SydneyDev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I think the iMac would be a cost effective upgrade, but there will probably be a Mac Pro with 12 cores released early next year. That is 3 times more CPU power than the iMac. This is based on Intel's new 6-core Xeons being available.
__________________
27" i7 iMac, iPhone 3G
SydneyDev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 01:46 AM   #8
300D
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek View Post
That shows that the last gen 3.06GHz iMac should be noticeably faster than the Quad 2.5GHz G5
This information is based on a very flawed benchmarking utility that focuses only on CPU, memory and drive performance. Depending on which GPU you have, the quad G5 will be faster than any C2D machine.

It will be slower than an i5 an i7 iMac and all Mac Pros but the quad 2.0ghz.
300D is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's faster: a MBP with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7? oxband MacBook Pro 9 May 5, 2014 09:44 PM
Mid-2010 2.93 Ghz i7 27" Imac vs 2012 3.2 Ghz i5 27" Imac Can0nfan2379 iMac 0 Jan 28, 2013 06:03 PM
2012 27" 3.4 GHz Quad Core i7 and VMWare Fusion - Take advantage hyperthreading? C-Dub iMac 4 Dec 28, 2012 05:08 PM
Is the 2.8 ghz Quad still a good upgrade from an iMac? SteelBlueTJ Mac Pro 36 Jul 12, 2012 06:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps