Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurphur

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2003
Austin, TX
How long will a 15" powerbook battery live if you were to be watching a DVD? Would it die prior to the end of a 2hr 30min video? Just wondering, since I would assue watching a DVD puts a strane on the laptop, and it wouldn't get the normal 3 or so hours of battery life with the DVD-rom running.

Thanks,

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
If you have 100% battery life when starting the DVD, then I don't think you'll have any trouble seeing a full 2:30 hour DVD movie. You may want to go into the Energy Saver System Preference and have it so that it reduces the processor speed when running off the battery. That shouldn't create any problems while watching the DVD, but you should easily be able to watch a DVD movie off your battery. One other thing to do is to turn off AirPort, and Bluetooth if you're not using it as that eats away at your battery. Also if its at night, I'd lower the brightness of the screen which will save battery life too, although if you have the backlit keyboard then it will do that for you as it lights up the keys on the keyboard.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Last year, I ran iTunes for an hour, then watched a two hour movie, then ran iTunes for another hour, and there was still some battery left. This was on an iBook (advertised 6 hour battery life), not a PowerBook.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I reccomend Handbrake for watching DVDs on the go. What you would do for example, if you are going on a plane trip, before hand you could rip the DVD to your hard drive, and while on the plane you could watch off of the hard drive, instead of the computer having to constantly spin up the disk.

It should save some battery life.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
musicpyrite said:
I reccomend Handbrake for watching DVDs on the go. What you would do for example, if you are going on a plane trip, before hand you could rip the DVD to your hard drive, and while on the plane you could watch off of the hard drive, instead of the computer having to constantly spin up the disk.

It should save some battery life.

DVD2OneX could also help in the same situation.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Macmaniac said:
A PB should handle a 2 hour movie and it should have at least an hour of life left, it all depends on how you tweak the power settings.

And with the "DVD" setting under the power management there should be no issues.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If the purpose of the original question was to determine if the PB could make it through a flight, then I have a vaguely on-topic post: get a 12V CD->120V AV power inverter. Plug it into the power outlet on most planes. Problem solved. Also, you can charge a cell phone, etc. - and you don't need to "pre-burn" the DVDs.

davidahn

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2004
Apple Valley, CA
Variable Battery Life

I have an AlBook 15" 1.25 GHz set to battery save, no trouble with a 100 min. movie from DVD, but not much battery life was left after that. I doubt a 2.5-hr movie would work, since w/o using the optical drive I got about 2:30 from my setup. Of course, from other users' reports, battery life seems to vary quite a bit. I'm going to get a Newer Tech 4800 mAh (53.3 Wh) battery to see if I see much better results (I wanted an extra battery anyway, but if I never have to swap on most flights, I'd be ecstatic).

I tried ripping to MP4, but haven't done any testing (my wife keeps falling asleep during the movie, and I hate watching alone).

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.