Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
What a horrific app experience. Can't recommend against this app enough.

Anyway, I downloaded LogMeIn, hated it versus its competitors and went to uninstall it. I "AppZapped" it, but noticed it was still in my status bar, even though it couldn't do anything...

I have no idea how to uninstall it. Their site has an article on how to uninstall, but despite it being available for Windows, Mac and Linux, they only have the article for Windows. Nice one!

After reading around, apparently there's an uninstaller app in the app's application folder. That was AppZapped...

So I go to install it again, hopefully getting the uninstaller. It says no, I have a newer version installed.

AHHHH.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I may can send you the uninstaller, if you want it. PM me, then be patient.

By the way...I'm very disappointed in LogMeIn too...they used to have some really great stuff, and they've really just dropped the ball completely on Mac support.

What competitors stuff have you used successfully that you like?

Brian

What a horrific app experience. Can't recommend against this app enough.

Anyway, I downloaded LogMeIn, hated it versus its competitors and went to uninstall it. I "AppZapped" it, but noticed it was still in my status bar, even though it couldn't do anything...

I have no idea how to uninstall it. Their site has an article on how to uninstall, but despite it being available for Windows, Mac and Linux, they only have the article for Windows. Nice one!

After reading around, apparently there's an uninstaller app in the app's application folder. That was AppZapped...

So I go to install it again, hopefully getting the uninstaller. It says no, I have a newer version installed.

AHHHH.

polo3400

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Behind you!
I may can send you the uninstaller, if you want it. PM me, then be patient.

By the way...I'm very disappointed in LogMeIn too...they used to have some really great stuff, and they've really just dropped the ball completely on Mac support.

What competitors stuff have you used successfully that you like?

Brian

hey i have the same problem, can you send the uninstaller to me too please?

mohangbits

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
hey i have the same problem, can you send the uninstaller to me too please?

Generally if you want to uninstall, Logmein from your mac, you can search in the spotlight for Logmein. There you can see the uninstall program, and run it.

If unfortunately, you deleted the LogmeIn folder from applications directory, then you won't be able to find the uninstaller for uninstalling Logmein.

So what you need to do is, Install LogmeIn again, and this will be having the uninstaller in Library -> applications --> logmein. Run this.

owjhart

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Pacifist app

I also found that when I removed logmein without running the uninstaller, it left the app in the status bar.

Downloading the Pacifist app to help uninstall logmein worked great.

- Download Pacifist
- Re-Download LogMeIn for Mac from Download.com
- Run Pacifist
- Open Package - choose your logmein pkg or dmg
- Find the uninstaller and copy to your desktop
- Run the uninstaller. Then you're done.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Have you tried manually uninstalling:

View Entire Thread: Best way to FULLY DELETE a program? View Single Post
Oct 4, 2010, 10:35 AM #16
GGJstudios
macrumors G4

While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.
Launch Finder (see image below) and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
Click the "don't include" and change to "include"
Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
Delete all files and folders related to the app.
Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Jan 18, 2012 at 06:29 AM.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Rather than copying the contents, it's probably better to post the link, as the instructions aren't as helpful without the numbering and associated image.
I also found that when I removed logmein without running the uninstaller, it left the app in the status bar.

There's an easier and more effective method. The most effective method for complete app removal, including removal of LogMeIn, is manual deletion:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Rather than copying the contents, it's probably better to post the link, as the instructions aren't as helpful without the numbering and associated image.

There's an easier and more effective method. The most effective method for complete app removal, including removal of LogMeIn, is manual deletion:

And here I thought I was being so cool. That's what happens when I try to pretend to know stuff.

I think I figured out how to store a link instead of a whole page. Not sure, but I'll try it out.

That will teach me to mess with GGJstudio's bailiwick!

Oh, I'm so embarrassed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And here I thought I was being so cool. That's what happens when I try to pretend to know stuff.

I think I figured out how to store a link instead of a whole page. Not sure, but I'll try it out.

That will teach me to mess with GGJstudio's bailiwick!

Oh, I'm so embarrassed.
It's cool. Just click to quote my post with that link in it, then copy everything between the INDENT tags, which is the part surrounded by URL tags. You can then paste that into any post you like. So what you paste will start with [URL and end with /URL]

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's cool. Just click to quote my post with that link in it, then copy everything between the INDENT tags, which is the part surrounded by URL tags. You can then paste that into any post you like. So what you paste will start with [URL and end with /URL]

Thank you, sir. You are, indeed, a gentleman and a scholar.:D

I will learn stuff if it kills...everybody who has to put up with me!!:rolleyes:

Thanks again, mate.:D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So how do you launch activity monitor...? Where is it?
Press the Command key and the space bar together, then type "Activity Monitor" in the Spotlight search window in the upper right corner of your screen. You'll find it there. You can also look in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

WKowalski

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
I am having a horrible time uninstalling LogMeIn. I went into Finder and found all files with that name, deleted them using CleanMyMac, and found that it still did not allow me to locate all the files associated with the program. There were still three files in the Library-->Preferences that did not show up in the search, and getting rid of those STILL does not get rid of the LMI icon in my taskbar. This program is unreal. I think LMI is actually preventing my MacBook from sleeping, according to the log file from PleaseSleep (which isn't even working for me!) Can someone help me please?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am having a horrible time uninstalling LogMeIn. I went into Finder and found all files with that name, deleted them using CleanMyMac, and found that it still did not allow me to locate all the files associated with the program. There were still three files in the Library-->Preferences that did not show up in the search, and getting rid of those STILL does not get rid of the LMI icon in my taskbar. This program is unreal. I think LMI is actually preventing my MacBook from sleeping, according to the log file from PleaseSleep (which isn't even working for me!) Can someone help me please?
In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

WKowalski

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
OK, I see your point about removal programs and appreciate the advice. But--here's the situation now. When I do the manual search for anything with LogMeIn in the name, just as you recommend, nothing comes up. Yet there is still a LogMeIn icon in the menu bar up top. So obviously the search is not finding it, which leads me to believe it exists under a different name.

Nov 28, 2010
located
OK, I see your point about removal programs and appreciate the advice. But--here's the situation now. When I do the manual search for anything with LogMeIn in the name, just as you recommend, nothing comes up. Yet there is still a LogMeIn icon in the menu bar up top. So obviously the search is not finding it, which leads me to believe it exists under a different name.

You even followed the steps to the T and INCLUDED the system files?
2012_04_26_pB1_UninstallIncludeSystemFiles.png

WKowalski

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
I finally uninstalled LogMeIn completely by reinstalling the package, then while in LogMeIn going to the About menu and selecting Uninstall. The LMI uninstaller is not a separate app as it is in some programs. I guess that's why Pacifist was unable to find it. Anyway, I ran uninstall and it removed the program. I STILL had to go into Library-->Preferences and remove an additional related file. My computer is now sleeping like a baby. Conclusion: LogMeIn prevented my computer from going to sleep.

Thank you for your help.

----------

Simsaladimbamba,
Just to be thorough in my reply, yes, I did follow the directions GGJ so thoughtfully provided. The problem I encountered was that my finder search window doesn't look quite like yours or GGJstudios'. It did not allow me the option of including the system files. What am I missing here? I'm running 10.6.8.

eN29p.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just to be thorough in my reply, yes, I did follow the directions GGJ so thoughtfully provided. The problem I encountered was that my finder search window doesn't look quite like yours or GGJstudios'. It did not allow me the option of including the system files.
Read steps 5-7 in my instructions. You didn't follow all of them. Click the "+" next to the "Save" on the right side, as circled in the screen shot in my instructions.

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
@GGJStudios

Thanks for that. it worked perfectly after months of that LogMeIn icon bugging the hell out of me

JamaulDrew

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you

View Entire Thread: Best way to FULLY DELETE a program? View Single Post
Oct 4, 2010, 10:35 AM #16
GGJstudios
macrumors G4

While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.
Launch Finder (see image below) and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
Click the "don't include" and change to "include"
Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
Delete all files and folders related to the app.
Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Jan 18, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
I just registered with my first forum ever because I just had to THANK YOU. This issue has been plaguing me for months. More specifically it was the bit about adjusting my criteria drop-down. THANK YOU!!

jsmith1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Thanks for all the great information on removing the LogMeIn program. I would like to add a recent personal experience and solution to my recent bout with trying to remove the program.

Should your free account expire and you mistakenly reinstall the program thinking its just an account mistake you will not then be able to uninstall the program as you are now in an endless loop of having to choose a valid account (no longer an option if it expired) with NO WAY OUT.

I tried restarting the computer, force quitting the program, and deleting all I could. It only made matters worse because now the program wouldn't even let me in as it claimed I had multiple instances running, even after rebooting again.

I broke down and tried calling the companies 1-800 number and spoke with Nick. The company will not talk to you until you provide an account, and an expired one doesn't count. Nick was insistent that no help could be provided to me by him since my account was expired.

The only thing that did work in the end was to run the installer again, quitting when it got to the point of asking for a computer name. It is then possible to quit all running instances of the program and uninstall from there. To me, this is horribly written software that demands the customer to have an account, a virus for those without active accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.