Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
LA
Hi everyone!

So I am helping granny to use her Mac and trying to make her life a little easier. She just got an iPhone and I am trying to teach her to use the calender. I went onto her Mac to set up the sync (via Mobile Me) and realized that in her messing around on the computer she has somehow managed to erase iCal. And its not just that she moved the icon or anything simple like that but she has actually somehow deleted the app! Haha. I have no idea how she managed that, and neither does she. She is using OS X 10.5.8 I tried to reinstall it from the original install disc by using Pacifist (it is not an option to just install iCal for some reason from the start-up disc). But the version of iCal that it installs will not run. A message pops up saying that the version of iCal can not be run on this computer. (Or maybe it says ...on this operating system. I can't remember) I checked and the version that it tried to install is iCal 2.0.5 So I tried a system update and it said everything was up to date. Weird...

So my question is....how do I get iCal back? I don't want to have to reinstall everything.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!!

CEH

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
download the 10.5.8 combo update from Apple.com/support and try to install iCal from the update package using Pacifist. iCal could have been updated to a newer version since the one included on the install disc and so cant run.

CEH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
LA
thanks richthomas!

I'm not back at her place until Monday but I will give it a try then and let ya know how it works.

I appreciate it!
CEH

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Then create a non-admin account for granny, and change the password of the admin account.

Unless she's installing software or changing the configuration, there shouldn't be any need to run as an admin user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.