Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BASE1330

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
NOOB here to FCE and AVCHD. I'v been shooting in SD and HD and have been working with both in FCE. If I am looking to export in the best possible quality, what settings would I save it under? Quicktime conversion? Which file extension? Thanks in advance!

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I assume you finished your project and want to export it?

An important question is on what kind of media you want to distribute your movie. Are you going to burn it on DVD, Blu-ray, internet or are you just going to keep it on your computer.

Can you tell what the sequence settings are? (that information should be in your browser, you can add some column's of information by right clicking one column's name). What size does the sequence have (for example; 720X480 or 1920X1080). Also what codec is used (AIC, apple intermediate codec or somethings else).

BASE1330

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Thanks for the reply,
I would want to use it for Internet, something like Vimeo.

I have some clips in 720x480 apple mpeg-2 SD and a few in 1920 x 1080 in AIC. I hope this helps you answer my question, thanks.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Well I can't say all the settings you should choose (like audio and such), but if I were you I would "export quicktime" (actually I would do it with compressor, but you don't have that), then go to custom and use the h.265 (or h.264 when there's no h.265) for the codec. Set the resolution to 1920X1080 or HD if the option is there.

Now the size will not be huge, but it'll probably be big. And because it's not huge it will not be the best of the best quality. But this way it should be able to upload to vimeo.

Now there could occur a problem I often have with just regular sd. I always messed up the aspect ratio and resolution. I always got 4:3 ,instead of 16:9. When this occurs you can do 2 things; 1) set the resolution to 1920X1080 and the pixel aspect ratio to 1 (so the pixels are square), or 2) leave the pixel aspect ratio and make it 1440x1080 (didn't know the size so I just checked wikipedia which says; 1440x1080 frame with 1.33 pixel aspect ratio), but that's for HDV, and you used AVCHD, and therefore AIC.

-- edit, removed grammar faults

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.