Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karlchen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
Germany
I need a new keyboard and mouse for my new external display / powerbook setup. Now I am thinking of getting the Apple bluetooth devices. Anyone care to share his/her thoughts? Do they work without flaws? Should I rather go for the usb (conventional) mouse and keyboard?

Thanx !!!

Karlchen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
Germany
sooo sad, you guys...

Hey, this thread has been on a while, and quite a few people have watched it... but apparently, noone knows anything about the bloetooth mouse and keyboard thing...
hasn t anybody tried it... ?
are all of you still connected by cable with your Mac ?
is the bluetooth thing a dead end ?
wondering...
:)

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
I got both. The bt-mouse and the bt-keyboard.

Are you used to the one-button mice? Then i'd say, go for it, i just love it. Never ever want a bloatmouse again...

The keyboard i don't use anymore. It had some isssues when i woke up my powerbook with the mouse. Then the connection to the keyboard could not be established. After a discovery it always worked again. Maybe my bad, but never got it working properly (did all the firware upgrades). Im not blaming the keyboard, i just stoped using it.

Mouse = great
keyboard = ??

Cuckoo

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
i use the apple bt keyboard and have no issues with it at all. wanted to try a bt mouse with more than one button so decided to go with the macally bt mouse, and again no issues with that. though i've decided not to carry it around with me since it doesn't have an off switch and even in a bag, i think the buttons were being pressed and the batteries were draining - they didn't last more than 11 days :confused: so now i can get an idea of how long they can last if the mouse just sits at home. i have the feeling the keyboard will last ages - it's still on 5 bars after three weeks.

it's good to not have the cables :)

Karlchen

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
Germany
Cuckoo said:
I got both. The bt-mouse and the bt-keyboard.

Are you used to the one-button mice? Then i'd say, go for it, i just love it. Never ever want a bloatmouse again...

The keyboard i don't use anymore. It had some isssues when i woke up my powerbook with the mouse. Then the connection to the keyboard could not be established. After a discovery it always worked again. Maybe my bad, but never got it working properly (did all the firware upgrades). Im not blaming the keyboard, i just stoped using it.

Mouse = great
keyboard = ??

Cuckoo

Hey... thanx you guys, this was what I wanted to hear... I am an Apple-man and I will definitely still go for a one-button mouse..
Cuckoo, how long did your mouse-batteries last?
Thanx again...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sorry - just didn't see this thread before.

I have the BT KB on my G5, and the BT KB & mouse on our iMac. Love both (just waiting for multi-button BT mouse for G5, now using Kensington StudioMouse Wireless). Batteries last forever - many months. Changed G5 KB batteries once (and bought when KB was first sold). iMac KB & mouse have never had a battery change, and they were bought sometime early spring.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Depends. If im home all day, then 3-4 weeks... when im at work during the daytime, then 4-6 weeks...

And when im home, i use the mouse 8 hours a day...

To give you an idea... i think pretty ok...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I think there is a good chance that Apple will bring out a new metal look BT keyboard (with USB for hardwiring bootups) and mouse when the new iMac appears in September so I am waiting a little over a month to see if that happens.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I've just got a new MS BT 2 button mouse with scroll wheel and it's fantastic. I could not go back to a traditional Apple one button mouse now.

I'm still using my ApplePro usb keyboard (with an iBook) and my only gripe with the MS mouse is that that BT adapter can't be used with the usb ports on the keyboard. Luckily the Belkin adapter I already had to sync my 'phone does and it's much smaller to boot. Interestingly it recognised the mouse far quicker than the MS item and new it was a MS BT Mouse whereas the MS item only saw a mouse with a BT address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.