Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1
datszach4u
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
iphone wont start apple logo then shuts off

Hey, I have a 2g Iphone that has firmware 3.0 and wont start up. When I try and hold the power button the apple logo comes up but then the screen goes black after about 30 seconds. It is not detected on my computer and I cannot put it in DUI mode. I have also tried holding down the home button with Itunes and nothing. Please help me.
datszach4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 603
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Tried leaving it on charge for a good amount of time??
__________________
iPad 3 4G 64Gb - iPad 2 3G 64Gb - iPad 3G 32Gb - iPhone 2g 8Gb - iPhone 3g 8Gb - iPhone 3gs 16Gb - iPhone 4 32Gb -iPhone 4s 64Gb - MacBook unibody Alu - mac mini i5 2.5Ghz - mac mini 2Ghz
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:42 PM   #3
cohenpts
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
you do get an apple logo..? for how long?

Last edited by cohenpts; Nov 4, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
cohenpts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:47 PM   #4
spykar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
3GS not starting, just logo comes up & nothing happens

I've recently jailbroken my 3GS iPhone with pwnage tool but then in Settings tab on iPhone, I've selected to delete all the data & settings, after that when I start my phone, just Apple logo comes in the startup but don't move ahead.

Can't even detected by PC & also can't even go to recovery mode.

PLEASE HELP.
spykar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:18 PM   #5
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykar View Post
I've recently jailbroken my 3GS iPhone with pwnage tool but then in Settings tab on iPhone, I've selected to delete all the data & settings, after that when I start my phone, just Apple logo comes in the startup but don't move ahead.

Can't even detected by PC & also can't even go to recovery mode.

PLEASE HELP.
You erased all your data, so no wonder you're having problems. Don't ever do that in the future, unless you plan on giving the phone back to Apple.

@OP and spykar:

You need to get your phone in DFU mode. Look at my sig and do EXACTLY what the link says. Watch some videos on how to do DFU mode, if need be. Just do it. The OP has a chance of getting into DFU mode. IDK about spykar. Deleting all your data can be problematic.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:56 PM   #6
ralphcastle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone.aggie View Post
You erased all your data, so no wonder you're having problems. Don't ever do that in the future, unless you plan on giving the phone back to Apple.

@OP and spykar:

You need to get your phone in DFU mode. Look at my sig and do EXACTLY what the link says. Watch some videos on how to do DFU mode, if need be. Just do it. The OP has a chance of getting into DFU mode. IDK about spykar. Deleting all your data can be problematic.
i did that too
ralphcastle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:58 PM   #7
ralphcastle
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykar View Post
I've recently jailbroken my 3GS iPhone with pwnage tool but then in Settings tab on iPhone, I've selected to delete all the data & settings, after that when I start my phone, just Apple logo comes in the startup but don't move ahead.

Can't even detected by PC & also can't even go to recovery mode.

PLEASE HELP.
i mean this i did that too.but mine is stuck with a pineapple sorry for double posting
ralphcastle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:25 AM   #8
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Well, if DFU mode won't work, try this. First open iTunes and connect your USB cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while connecting the USB cord into your iPhone, while continuing to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
winrawr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
i am also having the same issue that the apple logo comes on for a short amount of time then turns off i can get into DFU mode but i get error 23 and i also can turn my iphone on when its not plugged into something :/ oh i have the 3G 8gb
please any help will be greatly appreciated
winrawr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:09 PM   #10
chrisco91
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Unhappy Similar issue!

I have just replaced my back housing on my iphone, started it up and it was fine... one minute later, it dies in the arse, i try and turn it on again but it doesn't turn on unless it is plugged into the wall charger (usb does not register), and when it does turn on, it stays on the apple logo for 10 seconds and dies again. it was charged before I replaced the housing, and I can't get it into recovery mode or anything, because it shuts off as soon as I unplug the USB and connect to the PC. I then have to reset the phone again (connected to power).
So, tried DFU mode, iTunes doesn't detect it. Also, and very quiet, high pitched squeal is coming from the back of the phone, is this just my iphone or do they all do it, but I simply haven't noticed before? I have thought of trying to find a USB dock with a seperate power supply but now sure if they exist of if this will help.
Determined to fix this as I think the phone is great, if only Apple can sort out the battery life issues!
Hope someone can help.

I am willing to crack open the iphone again and do whatever inside, as long as I'm not wasting money buying parts that won't fix it..

Last edited by chrisco91; Mar 1, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
chrisco91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:15 PM   #11
ajmeelan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exact Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by datszach4u View Post
Hey, I have a 2g Iphone that has firmware 3.0 and wont start up. When I try and hold the power button the apple logo comes up but then the screen goes black after about 30 seconds. It is not detected on my computer and I cannot put it in DUI mode. I have also tried holding down the home button with Itunes and nothing. Please help me.
I'm having the exact same problem. The phone will turn on, but only for about 30 of the apple image, then it shuts off. Can't get iTunes to recognize it.

Did you ever get your problem resolved?
ajmeelan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:27 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
It's called a restore boot loop.
Try irecovery.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 07:07 AM   #13
rec2150
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
try this

If you opened it and its starting to do that, then it might be that the battery is not well connected or adjusted, try removing it and placing it correctly in the spot, also what it might be and you might try first, the screws from where it says do not remove and the one above that one might be to tight or to loose, try messing with them first to see if the connection of the battery is not connecting with the board.
rec2150 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 08:02 AM   #14
Ratatta
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Unhappy Same problem here... 3.1.2 3GS

Used blackrain. no problems until i erased all settings and content...

Then appel logo for a few minutes and black, then all over again.
Irecovery does not work, this message comes.

"Got USB
No IPhone/iPod found."

have been trying meny different DFU attempts.

so any other suggestions???

all give 20 $ on paypal. if anybody find the solution.
Ratatta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 11:25 AM   #15
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatta View Post
Used blackrain. no problems until i erased all settings and content...

Then appel logo for a few minutes and black, then all over again.
Irecovery does not work, this message comes.

"Got USB
No IPhone/iPod found."

have been trying meny different DFU attempts.

so any other suggestions???

all give 20 $ on paypal. if anybody find the solution.
See my sig on how to do DFU. Don’t ever click on “erase all content…” again.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Maskinare
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisco91 View Post
I have just replaced my back housing on my iphone, started it up and it was fine... one minute later, it dies in the arse, i try and turn it on again but it doesn't turn on unless it is plugged into the wall charger (usb does not register), and when it does turn on, it stays on the apple logo for 10 seconds and dies again. it was charged before I replaced the housing, and I can't get it into recovery mode or anything, because it shuts off as soon as I unplug the USB and connect to the PC. I then have to reset the phone again (connected to power).
So, tried DFU mode, iTunes doesn't detect it. Also, and very quiet, high pitched squeal is coming from the back of the phone, is this just my iphone or do they all do it, but I simply haven't noticed before? I have thought of trying to find a USB dock with a seperate power supply but now sure if they exist of if this will help.
Determined to fix this as I think the phone is great, if only Apple can sort out the battery life issues!
Hope someone can help.

I am willing to crack open the iphone again and do whatever inside, as long as I'm not wasting money buying parts that won't fix it..
Funny (not), I have done exactly the same... Hade you found any solotion yet?
Maskinare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 04:10 PM   #17
mfrias
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Iphone recovery

I would like to buy one of this iphones from you guys if it does not turn on anymore. I would like to try a theory to see if I can find the solution to this problem.
If any of you wouldn't mind selling your non-working iphone pls. let me know.

you can reach me at frias1009@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

Last edited by mfrias; May 18, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
mfrias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:16 PM   #18
hammeros
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisco91 View Post
I have just replaced my back housing on my iphone, started it up and it was fine... one minute later, it dies in the arse, i try and turn it on again but it doesn't turn on unless it is plugged into the wall charger (usb does not register), and when it does turn on, it stays on the apple logo for 10 seconds and dies again. it was charged before I replaced the housing, and I can't get it into recovery mode or anything, because it shuts off as soon as I unplug the USB and connect to the PC. I then have to reset the phone again (connected to power).
So, tried DFU mode, iTunes doesn't detect it. Also, and very quiet, high pitched squeal is coming from the back of the phone, is this just my iphone or do they all do it, but I simply haven't noticed before? I have thought of trying to find a USB dock with a seperate power supply but now sure if they exist of if this will help.
Determined to fix this as I think the phone is great, if only Apple can sort out the battery life issues!
Hope someone can help.

I am willing to crack open the iphone again and do whatever inside, as long as I'm not wasting money buying parts that won't fix it..
I have exactly the same problem after replace back housing. Is anybody know how to fix?
hammeros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:23 AM   #19
dino.rawrr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
See my sig on how to do DFU. Don’t ever click on “erase all content…” again.
would doing that DFU thing delete anything on my iphone?
dino.rawrr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:17 AM   #20
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino.rawrr View Post
would doing that DFU thing delete anything on my iphone?
It's a restore, so everything gets deleted.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:24 PM   #21
MasterTeeee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Not sure if anyone who posted originally in this thread is still interested or not.

But I have/had an iPhone with this problem. It would turn on ONLY when connected to a power supply, the Apple logo would appear for a little while, then the phone would turn off in a rather unglamorous fashion. The best way I can describe the way it turns off is... Did anyone own one of the original yellow & black lcd gameboy's? The big white brick things? Well when the phone died it was like turning off one of those, you'd get the apple logo freeze and a couple of lines come across the screen for a couple of seconds, then total shutdown.

I tried doing a DFU restore on it, receiving the error 23 message near the start of the update...

Error 23 refers to an Hardware issue (can't be arsed to find the link, but it's documented on Apple's site), more to the point, error 23 usually refers to a connectivity error.

So, I fiddled with battery screws as advised here, no joy. I proceeded to replace the battery as it could've been a dud (bought the phone 2nd hand as faulty, so had no idea on its history. Also the sticker was removed from the MB). No joy, same results.

So, going back to my point about error 23 being a connectivity error, I assumed that the USB port must of been faulty, only allowing through a very small amount of electricity as to barely charge the battery. Then, once it's turned on, it uses all it's power and dies. Picked one up on ebay for £5, stuck it in, and bingo.

Works like a charm now. So if you're reading this, and your phone doesn't appear to be accepting charge, and iTunes can pick it up in DFU, but can't restore because of error 23, this is probably your solution.

Hope this helps someone.

Peace!
MasterTeeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 03:17 PM   #22
ASP272
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
I've fixed this problem twice now

I've fixed this exact problem for two iPhone 3Gs and I am fixing another tonight. All three phones were dropped or hit at some point which caused the front bevel to start coming away from the back of the phone. This allowed dust, lint, etc. to get into the phone's innards and cause a faulty connection with the battery and likely at the 30 pin connection port, as noted above by MasterTeeee.
I fixed the first two by taking them apart, using the proper tools and knowing what I was doing because of iFixIt guides, cleaning them thoroughly with 99% alcohol at any dirty connections and at the battery and 30pin port connections specifically. I then reassembled them slowly, ensuring all screws and connections were made properly. Once reassembled, both iPhones were still stuck in the Recovery Loop that cuts them off at the Apple logo. This is where I did a DFU recovery and restored them to factory firmware. Once that was done both phones were in perfect working order. The first phone had a corrupt backup on the users machine so it couldn't be restored from the backup, however the second user was able to use their backup to restore their apps and all other data from their last save.

The point here is that you probably have a bad battery connection or a bad 30pin connector from it being damaged or too dirty to charge the phone properly. If a DFU fails then a take-apart, cleaning, reassembly ensuring good connections and then DFU should do the trick. You can also simply try to take some 99% alcohol on a Qtip and clean the 30pin connector port from the outside, though I doubt you'd have any success with that.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
__________________
P.C.=Personal Confuser, Perfectly Crappy, Promotes Cussing, Prone to Crash, etc.
MAC=Mighty Awesome Computer
ASP272 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 06:37 AM   #23
Amylittlehands
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisco91 View Post
I have just replaced my back housing on my iphone, started it up and it was fine... one minute later, it dies in the arse, i try and turn it on again but it doesn't turn on unless it is plugged into the wall charger (usb does not register), and when it does turn on, it stays on the apple logo for 10 seconds and dies again. it was charged before I replaced the housing, and I can't get it into recovery mode or anything, because it shuts off as soon as I unplug the USB and connect to the PC. I then have to reset the phone again (connected to power).
So, tried DFU mode, iTunes doesn't detect it. Also, and very quiet, high pitched squeal is coming from the back of the phone, is this just my iphone or do they all do it, but I simply haven't noticed before? I have thought of trying to find a USB dock with a seperate power supply but now sure if they exist of if this will help.
Determined to fix this as I think the phone is great, if only Apple can sort out the battery life issues!
Hope someone can help.

I am willing to crack open the iphone again and do whatever inside, as long as I'm not wasting money buying parts that won't fix it..
Did you find a way to fixing this? Alot of people are saying it's hardware problems but other people say it's in recovery loop?! I can't even get into recovery mode, DFU mode or even keep the thing on. Someone please help!
My skpe is: amym.baldwin
email: muffin-madness@live.co.uk
Amylittlehands is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:22 PM   #24
tat24me
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
herre;s the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatta View Post
Used blackrain. no problems until i erased all settings and content...

Then appel logo for a few minutes and black, then all over again.
Irecovery does not work, this message comes.

"Got USB
No IPhone/iPod found."

have been trying meny different DFU attempts.

so any other suggestions???

all give 20 $ on paypal. if anybody find the solution.
hi mate,open itunes,download redsnow and open it,load the ipsw into redsnow you want to use.plug usb end into pc and then dock end into dock ,iphone powers up,if its only 30 secs dont worry.now hold at same time the power button and the home button for 10 secsnow press power button to see if it starts to power up again.if it does good.disconnect from dock and reconnect to power up again and press again together power button and home button.phone will go off.now start red snow and follow the directions;eg,press power button for 3 secs then without releasing it press and hold home button for 10 secs then without releasing home button release power button keep home button pressed for 15 secs.if done correctly phone will start to flash firmware(jailbreak data)then will load settings.redsnow will say done and youwill see loads of script on phone.when this has finnished phone will turn off and then reboot and should then be ok.if not ok it will at worst be in recovery so you can recover in itunes.if the phone dies whilst the script is running you have a hardware power problem usually the battery or dock connector but seeing as it powers when connected it wont be the dock.if you connect to itunes and have hardware prob it will say error 23.you can sometimes with this prob get out of recovery with tiny umbrella.using the same precedure as above you can also put the phone into dfu mode but best for itunes is to plug in cable til powers up and press together home and power button for 10 secs til off then press power for 3 secs then without releasing it hold home as well for 10 secs then phone will be in recovery.
tat24me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:40 PM   #25
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tat24me View Post
hi mate,open itunes,download redsnow and open it,load the ipsw into redsnow you want to use.plug usb end into pc and then dock end into dock ,iphone powers up,if its only 30 secs dont worry.now hold at same time the power button and the home button for 10 secsnow press power button to see if it starts to power up again.if it does good.disconnect from dock and reconnect to power up again and press again together power button and home button.phone will go off.now start red snow and follow the directions;eg,press power button for 3 secs then without releasing it press and hold home button for 10 secs then without releasing home button release power button keep home button pressed for 15 secs.if done correctly phone will start to flash firmware(jailbreak data)then will load settings.redsnow will say done and youwill see loads of script on phone.when this has finnished phone will turn off and then reboot and should then be ok.if not ok it will at worst be in recovery so you can recover in itunes.if the phone dies whilst the script is running you have a hardware power problem usually the battery or dock connector but seeing as it powers when connected it wont be the dock.if you connect to itunes and have hardware prob it will say error 23.you can sometimes with this prob get out of recovery with tiny umbrella.using the same precedure as above you can also put the phone into dfu mode but best for itunes is to plug in cable til powers up and press together home and power button for 10 secs til off then press power for 3 secs then without releasing it hold home as well for 10 secs then phone will be in recovery.
Why you're bringing up a thread from Nov 4, 2009?
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Iphone 5 stuck on apple logo wont restore from DFU or Recovery mode BLIPY Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 13 Aug 18, 2014 12:44 PM
iBook G4 Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard shuts down after apple logo amll PowerPC Macs 7 Oct 21, 2013 02:31 PM
Apple logo wont start iPhone 3GS martin5504 iPhone 4 Jun 29, 2013 04:59 AM
Iphone 4 shuts down and stuck on logo when on power mandrack111 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Dec 9, 2012 06:41 PM
Slow Start (BEFORE the apple logo) pappysven MacBook Pro 4 Sep 11, 2012 03:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC