Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like crap ever since the time has changed, maybe its because it gets dark earlier now or that its getting colder. I don't even know why we even do a time change to start with, I was more than happy with it getting dark at 7 instead of 6.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
6 would be nice. I'm watching the sun set at 4:30 now, with it completely dark outside at 5. Have definitely went to bed earlier the past few nights.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What's driving me crazy about the time change is that I'm waking up early, on my own, about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. And then I can't fall back asleep, so I just lay there .. pissed .. for 60 minutes. :eek::rolleyes::D

Never used to have that problem with the time change. Guess I'm officially getting old™.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What's driving me crazy about the time change is that I'm waking up early, on my own, about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. And then I can't fall back asleep, so I just lay there .. pissed .. for 60 minutes. :eek::rolleyes::D

Never used to have that problem with the time change. Guess I'm officially getting old™.

I'm doing the same too. I used to sleep like a rock until the alarm went off, now I'm waking up early, falling back to sleep, only to be woken up by the alarm.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yeah it's hit me pretty hard to. It seems easier to get up in the morning, but after lunch everything just goes down hill and 7:00 feels like 12:00 now. In fact, my eyes are drooping now as I typeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not feeling any different here. Bed at 4am, up at 11am unless I'm working at college. Just gets darker earlier is all. But hey I love the night anyways so it's no problem for me.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not feeling any different here. Bed at 4am, up at 11am unless I'm working at college. Just gets darker earlier is all. But hey I love the night anyways so it's no problem for me.

Thats usually close to my schedule unless a client calls in the morning. After the time change though I am out at around 2 and waking up at 8 for some reason.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
What's driving me crazy about the time change is that I'm waking up early, on my own, about an hour before my alarm is set to go off. And then I can't fall back asleep...
+2

I don't even know why we even do a time change to start with...

It's to save energy. Ties business hours more closely to daylight hours. The worst time is now, right after switching back to Standard Time. It's not as bad when we switch to Daylight Savings, 'cause the Sun is up there longer.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I actually like it. It'd be 7:20 right now, but it's only 6:20 :D

Funny thing is it actually felt we had lost an hour on Sat.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I like it.

Early on the day (Around 7 AM), when I'm walking to school the sun is up, and shining.

But what I don't like is that it gets dark around 4:30....and since I can never do homework whenever it's dark outside (I don't know why, I just need natural light to do homework, unless I absolutely force myself, when I have a lot of homework), I have to basically cram all my homework in that hour and a half of when I get back from school.

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
I don't like the time change. I wish DST was just permanent - I'd rather it be dark in the morning than after work! There's something I hate about it being dark out before I even leave the office. But the reasoning goes, for kids who walk to school and such, it's important to have some daylight in the morning hours. Oh well!

I also find I am waking up too early now.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Crap, that's a lot of homework! hour and a half? Ewwww! lol :)
When I was in school, starting right with the first grade, I had at least 4 hours of homework each day, and the teacher insisted that somehow even 4 hours didn't equal enough dedication :eek:

As for the time change... I don't really mind it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't like the time change. I wish DST was just permanent - I'd rather it be dark in the morning than after work! There's something I hate about it being dark out before I even leave the office.
Same here! It's depressing I think.

But the reasoning goes, for kids who walk to school and such, it's important to have some daylight in the morning hours.
It was started for the farmers so they would have more light during the day to tend to crops, etc.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Same here too. I love the bus ride home when its dark. It winds all around the hills and valleys for an hour and a half. Just kick back with the iPod on...
Best time of my working day!
This probably makes me slightly mad.

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Not for me. But then again, I didn't normally go to bed before 1-2 before the time change, so that might have something to do with it.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Same here too. I love the bus ride home when its dark. It winds all around the hills and valleys for an hour and a half. Just kick back with the iPod on...
Best time of my working day!
This probably makes me slightly mad.

The time change does suck. . . But I agree with you James, nothing better then being on a bus, half empty dark, relaxed with some good tunes. It was beautiful when I was in Cardiff, great scenery but here in NYC, I am always in a subway, I do miss the busses, used to be the best time of my day.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

It was started for the farmers so they would have more light during the day to tend to crops, etc.
Wait, what?! All of this could have been avoided if the farmers just woke themselves up an hour early? So instead, we have to wake a good majority of society up an hour early?!?! Le Sigh :D

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Ha! An urban myth in the purest sense, in response to another urban myth. All the farm folks I've spoken to about DST hate it and blame it on city dwellers. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

The practice is controversial. Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours, but causes problems for farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun. Traffic fatalities are reduced when there is extra afternoon daylight; its effect on health and crime is less clear. Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity, modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited and often contradictory.

The link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.