Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm getting a new MBP at the end of this year. Should I get a SSD or a ATA drive in it? I don't store much on my computer as most of my stuff is online, and I write for Triond a lot as well so all my stuff is on the net. The application I'll be using the most is Safari, and Pages. It would be nice to have the speed of the SSD since I don't need a big HD.

What do you think? How have SSD compared to ATAs for you?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
They both fail, SSD's a lot less then ATA's.

I don't really see the need if that's all you do and given the price a 7200 RPM hard drive might be enough.

I have 4000 to 5000 dollars to spend on a new MBP. When I added it up I could easily afford a SSD, so I think I'll get it. I don't really care about how much it can store since all my stuff is on the net.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
SSD (Solid State Drive) is a name for a storage device, like HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) is the name of an interface, also called IDE or P-ATA.

The current Macs, and most other modern computers today, use S-ATA (Serial ATA) for interfacing with its storage device (an HDD or SSD or even optical drives).

HDDs use mechanical platters, SSDs use Flash or DRAM, which makes them two to five times faster than normal, more inexpensive HDDs.

Searching this forum via MRoogle will give you many, many threads about the advantages of SSDs, and also its disadvantages. If you don't need much storage space, a 64GB or 128GB SSD will definitely make your Mac faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.