Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMacLoven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Hey people, I did a small search on this topic, but came up with no finds.

Just wanted to know about the browser that you use on your mac. Is it fast than safari, what are the pros about it, etc.

Thanks in advance, just keeping my options open in case I ever switch browsers.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
if you get 100 responses

you are gonna get 45 for Safari, 45 for Firefox and 10 for all others -- with a ±5 variation

use what ever you like the most

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
Which Mac ?

Which OS ?

Firefox if you need to use any of the thousands of add-ons, like Web Developer or Grease Monkey (essential for me).
Never took to the Firefox v3 interface, loks like it belongs in OSX 10.2. So I still use Firefox v2 for everything I can. Some sites require I fire up v3.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I used to love Firefox, but I couldn't live with the slow speeds, beach balls, and terrible performance. Firefox used to be great on the Mac, but now Safari blows Firefox away in speed and stability. Safari is a no brainer for anyone who wants speed on the Internet. I don't care for all the plugins that destroy speed either. About half of them cause crashing bigtime, especially with the 32/64 bit thing SL is now going through.

Go Safari!

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Safari is quick and has a clean, simple interface.

Firefox can get annoying with all of the extensions and add-ons that need updating all the time.

Both are in my dock, but Safari is used 99% of the time. I've removed other web browsers from the dock - Opera, Chrome, etc.

Opera is cool and has a lot of built-in functionality, but I found myself using Safari majority of the time due to MobileMe and 1Password support (though 1Password works with other browsers), as well as being fast and uncluttered.

I've read about some people complaining about Safari crashing all the time for them. Not sure what the cause is because Safari has rarely crashed on me and I use it daily with my computer on for at least a week at a time.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I use Safari all the time on OS X.

I absolutely cannot stand Firefox on OS X. Constantly nagging me to check for or install updates, then requiring that I restart it to apply those updates.

Do I need a weather plug-in? Can't I just see this on the Dashboard, or go to a website that displays the weather? Do I need to have a picture of a sun in the status bar all the time?

GlimmerBlocker blocks ads system-wide so no need to use Adblock on FF.

Safari is so much cleaner and faster, and loads very quickly. Firefox is far too slow to do anything.

However, having said that, I use Firefox on the PC at work because it's better than IE. Basically, I use what's best for the situation. IT policy means I can't have Safari on the PC at work.

BertyBoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
A lot of "Don't use X" being thrown around.

But I still have the same questions, Which Mac ? Which OS ?

A lot whine about the Firefox add-ons slowng the browser down, and constantly nagging for updates. This is only if you set the Firefox preferences to automatically check for updates. And if you load up dozens of add-ons, that you usually don't need. Firefox is never slow on a Mac Pro.

Like I tried to explain in my last post, Safari is fast and mostly reliable. But, if you need the use of add-ons, Firefox blows Safari out of the water. Knowing the OP's Mac and OS would help with a more definite answer.

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
I use Firefox as my primary Browser, with Safari as the second choice.

I switch quiet often between My Mac and my PC, and as such like to have a unified experience in my browser. With XMarks and Weave I can quicky pickup where I left on one and switch to the other.

While Safaris is faster on my Mac (In the same way Chrome is on my PC) I like the flexibility afforded by Firefox and mainly stick to using it.

Safari and CHrome are useful when I want to open another Gmail account or want to open a site which I think may crash the program without impacting my primary workspace.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
minefield nightly build with nightly tester tools addon so all my plugins work :)
it's really great using it on both my pc and mac

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I use Camino for day-to-day browsing (Firefox for web development; Safari for ridiculously javascript-heavy sites). Camino is faster than Firefox and better integrated with OS X; more stable than Safari. It uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (although usually a slightly older version) but with a native interface around it.

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
I use safari at home mainly. My only complaint is that with some websites it doesn't seem to render items properly if at all. My work website seems to not load half of the information in safari ( java based). Firefox is nice but I can really feel the speed difference, it just seems slower than safari. But it does seem to render most sites correctly. IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.