Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
swwack91
macrumors 6502a

Menu Bar Notifications for Twitter?

So I downloaded the new Facebook Desktop Notifications applet and it's great! It's just a Facebook icon in the menu bar that turns blue when I have any notifications. A little pop-up also comes up in the corner with the text of any comments. It's great and there isn't any actual "application" that needs to be running... it's just a menu icon and runs in the background.

Is there anything like this for Twitter? I know there's things like Twitterific and TweetDeck, but I don't want an actual desktop application.

Thanks!
swwack91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
aleksandra.
macrumors 6502a

It is with sincere regret that I must inform you Facebook Desktop Notifications is "an actual desktop application", which needs to be running.
aleksandra. is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
swwack91
macrumors 6502a

Well, obviously it's a real application, but it doesn't show up in the Dock, doesn't need to be opened, and has no window to take up screen space. Forget the semantics.
swwack91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 03:16 PM   #4
DKatri
macrumors 6502

I use tweetie which has a icon in the menu bar which turns blue when there are new tweets, click that and it opens the window for tweetie, click it again and then it hides the window.

Doesn't do exactly what you want but I don't think that anything will.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 03:29 AM   #5
slapguts
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKatri View Post
I use tweetie which has a icon in the menu bar which turns blue when there are new tweets, click that and it opens the window for tweetie, click it again and then it hides the window.

Doesn't do exactly what you want but I don't think that anything will.
That in combination with Growl should be what the OP was asking for.

Just checked, it runs in the dock, regardless. Bummer.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:57 AM   #6
treedazzled
macrumors newbie

Twit Menulet

I think Twit Menulet does exactly what the OP requests: it shows Twitter status updates in the menu bar, without showing itself in the dock. Twit Menulet somehow manages to support multiple accounts and Lists in that tiny package. I think it is quite nifty!

Here's a link: Twit Menulet Twitter for Mac
treedazzled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:03 PM   #7
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

EXACTLY! Would love an app like this. In fact, desktop notifications is what makes me want an app of this nature as well. Facebook DN are great and I really wish Twitter had one that didn't require being docked and "open".

I know Google+ has the Google+ "tab" in the app store which is essentially the same thing.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store