Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
jdfrolik
macrumors newbie

Clean Erase and Reinstall iMac G3 400Mhz DV

The iMac is a 400Mhz G3, Special Edition DV model purchased in late 1999. After warranty expiration it was upgraded to an 80GB HD (from 12GB) and to 768MB RAM (from 512MB). Never have had a problem with this model and it still works just fine—still in mint condition.

I am now trying to wipe my HD clean and reinstall OS X in preparation for sale before the Xmas holidays. Don't expect to get much for it, but it would still be good for some young kid just getting into computers. It has ran—ran because it was retired a year ago after upgrading to a new iMac—for quite some time on OS 10.2; the original OS was 9.1.

I wanted to do a Clean Install in order to completely wipe off the HD, but this menu option never came up on the OS X install disk.

I never thought I'd forget how to work my old, beloved iMac. But I know I'm missing something. Any ideas?
jdfrolik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 06:46 PM   #2
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

yes you missed something

Start up the iMac with the OS X CD. Before you click on the install screen, you need to use Disk utility.
Look at the menus at the top of the screen. You need to select Installer> Disk Utility.
When that opens, give it a few moments for it to gather information about your hard drive. A hard drive icon will appear in the side bar at the left.now click on the erase tab, just to make sure that hard drive is totally empty. Select MacOS Extended as the format (not any other format). You can name the drive and make sure you install OS 9 drivers just in case you want os9 too you can also use partition tab but remember Mac OS Extended and very important Do not lock for editing

and please make sure the little iMac gets to a good home

Last edited by MacHamster68; Nov 7, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs