Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Was wondering if anyone has tried putting 800 Mhz DDR2 ram into a Mac Pro 1,1. Only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because 800 Mhz ram is quite a bit cheaper at the moment over 667.

I know that it will clock it self down and all, done that many times before, I just wanted to make sure that there will be no problems (Since these mac pro's seem to be a bit picky on some things), just so I dont waste my time ordering this.

Thanks

Stephen23

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, TX
Yes, I've done it... I needed extra RAM in my 1st gen machine, but knew I was going to be moving up to a 2008 model in the next year or so, so I bought the 800mhz memory, since it was the same price. It worked fine, and when I bought the new machine, I just transferred it over. Never had any issues...

I do recommend buying from a quality vendor though... I get mine from OWC.

Stephen

osssua

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Was wondering if anyone has tried putting 800 Mhz DDR2 ram into a Mac Pro 1,1. Only reason I'm thinking of doing this is because 800 Mhz ram is quite a bit cheaper at the moment over 667.

I know that it will clock it self down and all, done that many times before, I just wanted to make sure that there will be no problems (Since these mac pro's seem to be a bit picky on some things), just so I dont waste my time ordering this.

Thanks
Same here, works no problem. I even have mixed RAM from different vendors and speeds (667 and 800) and it all adjusts to the 667 speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.