Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
yeah, they're really good at marketing.
I think they proven theirselves in computer-business.

altho, iPod is another story. I personally think they should stick at computers.
iPods are much more instable and are full of problems.

I had 2 iPod video's (30GB), 1 iPod Shuffle (1GB) and now I'm rolling with a Nano G4 (8GB).
All of these have (had) problems
and to reply on this thread. Yes, Apple has me! I'm still buying new iPod's because theire fancy!

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
There are a number of flaws in this writer's argument, but the biggest is the source: MSNBC. A TV channel/web site critiques Apple and we're supposed to accept that it has some sort of objectivity? If it were a MacRumors post, it would be shot down as trolling. Just because it's on a corporate stage doesn't make it less so.

mt

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
There are a number of flaws in this writer's argument, but the biggest is the source: MSNBC. A TV channel/web site critiques Apple and we're supposed to accept that it has some sort of objectivity? If it were a MacRumors post, it would be shot down as trolling. Just because it's on a corporate stage doesn't make it less so.

mt

Did you even read the article?

It's not an MSNBC piece, it's a PC World piece.

Third paragraph says…

Of course, many people don't want to leave Apple's tent. After all, it's filled with iPhones and MacBooks and other cool stuff. And Apple is hardly the only business that tries to lock in customers — wireless carriers (including Apple partner AT&T) are probably the worst offenders. Nor is Apple the only vendor to use one product as leverage to push others onto consumers (let's declare Microsoft the champion there).

The article is pretty spot on.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
There are a number of flaws in this writer's argument, but the biggest is the source: MSNBC. A TV channel/web site critiques Apple and we're supposed to accept that it has some sort of objectivity?

Please read it and demonstrate with evidence where it is being non-objective.

Dismissing it for lacing objectivity simply because of a URL, without demonstrating WHY it lacks objectivity is, well....not particularly objective, is it?

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009

mt

look, another blind mac follower who clearly can't even read.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Article doesn't seem to work, MSNBC search seems atrocious - got the full text?

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Did you even read the article?

It's not an MSNBC piece, it's a PC World piece.

Tell me you're not that naive. You really think MSNBC can use PC World as a human shield? If AppleCBS ripped the Zune, you don't think people would be all over this board screaming impropriety?

mt

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Please read it and demonstrate with evidence where it is being non-objective.

Dismissing it for lacing objectivity simply because of a URL, without demonstrating WHY it lacks objectivity is, well....not particularly objective, is it?

You asked for it …

These are ranked, more or less, starting with the worst.

Paragraph 21:
Ever since the Second Coming (aka the return of Steve Jobs to Apple in 1997), the Mac has been a tightly controlled, closed system. The result? High prices and limits on the options you can get with Mac hardware.
To me, this is the biggest flaw. The Mac has been a tightly controlled, closed system ever since its introduction in 1984. John Sculley made an abortive attempt to allow Mac cloning, but it failed miserably and nearly sank the company. But for someone who tries to write with the sweep of history of the company, to make this comment is ridiculous.

Scratch that, it’s not ridiculous. He just wanted to work in a cheap shot at Steve Jobs’ expense. If Steve Ballmer didn’t look like he lived in a van down by the river, we wouldn’t hear half the wisecracks about Jobs and his “second coming.”

Complete section on iPhone: AT&T has nothing to do with App Store disapprovals? The source on Google app rejections is Google itself?

And there are 100,000 apps to choose from Apple’s Kim Jong-Il-style App Store. My Samsung phone -- not a smartphone by any means -- has at most 100, and it appears that 90 percent of those are games. While there are flaws in comparing that Verizon Samsung to an AT&T iPhone, the premise of this story is to compare Apple with all other technology companies. (see Paragraph 3). The options for an iPhone owner are indeed limited, at about 100,000 different apps. I can attest that a Samsung phone owner’s options are limited to about 100.

Paragraph 8:
If you wanted to move the songs you bought at a buck apiece to a cheaper player from a competing manufacturer, you had two options: an onerous process in which you burned your songs to a CD and then reripped them as MP3s, or quasilegal software that essentially did the same thing using your hard drive instead of a disc.

Onerous? Is he kidding? You click a button, you burn a disk. Otherwise called a backup. To call it onerous is just the writer’s search for a pejorative adjective.

But then in Paragraph 14, he says:
Actually, Apple has at least two other choices. It could license its Fairplay DRM technology to other hardware manufacturers and allow multiple devices to play media purchased on iTunes, as Amazon does with its video-on-demand service.

So if I move it to another device, it’s not onerous, but if I burn my music to a medium that is played on thousands of devices, it is. Extremely flawed logic.

The last seven paragraphs:

With the exception of MobileMe, which costs $99 to $149 a year, none of these software programs generate revenue for Apple. But they do serve to pull users further into Apple's ecosystem.
I don’t understand what this means. He castigates Apple -- and I think he’s justified -- for installing software unrelated to an update. But it’s pretty innocuous stuff. I got an unwanted copy of Norton when I updated Adobe a few months back that royally screwed up my Dell laptop. It did nothing to pull me into an “ecosystem.”

5. Shoes and spies
In March 2007, Apple applied for a patent on technology that allowed it to pair a garment with an electronic sensor, as it had done with the Nike iPod Sport Kit. That kit allowed owners of Nike shoes to track their speed, mileage, and other data on their iPods. Apple's objective in the patent: to prevent users from removing the sensor from the Nike shoe and putting it into shoes from a different manufacturer — what New Scientist's Paul Marks called "DRM for your wardrobe."
Explain to me how a patent is going to prevent anyone from altering an iPod.

Two months later the company filed for a patent on technology that would prevent Apple devices from accepting a charge during certain circumstances. This tech would prevent a thief from recharging your iPhone or iPod, but it could also keep you from charging the device if you tried to sync it with an "unauthorized" PC.
Quelle heureur! Apple wants to make it harder to steal its products. Will the republic survive?

And last August the company filed for a patent on sensors that would record "customer abuse events" on Apple products; the data from these sensors would presumably be used to deny warranty repair claims by documenting damage that was the customer's fault.
“Presumably” -- or does it mean the company spends a lot of money on tech support and it wants to give its tech people more information on why a computer is failing? Big Brotherish? Maybe, but you can have that argument if you provide the documented proof that you disabled the black box in your high-end SUV.

Apple is certainly within its rights to patent such technologies; what these applications show, though, is that there is seemingly no limit to what the company wants to control.
Unsupported. And if Microsoft sought similar patents, we’re to assume they have only angelic intentions?

Many such lock-in examples exist, to be sure, and we'd like to hear yours, in the comments below.

The question is, do Apple fans care? Widman, for one, says, "Choice is overrated. As a consumer, I'm more interested in something that works."

It's a reasonable argument — but also a costly one. Is it really worth it?

Legend has it that Apple often loses in head-to-head comparisons of technology. But this piece is devoid of dollar signs. It's absence speaks volumes.

Paragraph 3:
But no other technology company exercises the same amount of control over what its customers can and can't do with the things they bought.

OK, last one, and of the whole piece, maybe the weakest complaint. But “No other”? The mini- and mainframe markets are nearly insignificant, but they still exist, and they exist because they really have their customers over a barrel. Apple at least supports industry standard file formats in ways other “closed” companies don’t. This is unsupportable hyperbole at best, setting up the rest of the column's unsupportable hyperbole.

mt

xlii

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
The article is very fair and balanced. When you think of it, what company doesn't want to lock in their customers? Apple has been very successful at it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Oh noes!! We're locked in to . . . great products and services that keep getting better! NOOOO!!!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Come on! At least a bit of realism!

Oh noes!! We're locked in to . . . great products and services that keep getting better! NOOOO!!!

Sure! I remember how people loved when their iTunes purchases were only compatible with Apple music players. They love to spend thousands just to get a decent desktop that runs OS X. Oh, and so many just love to spend hours trying to jailbreak their iPhones and getting apps from somewhere else. Don't say that all these people only break Apple's unnecessarily strict rules, because they are pirates. How many of these people actually purchase legitimate copies of OS X or use premium Jailbreak services? Lots.

Come on, LTD, you also expressed the view that Apple's rejection of Google's app was to protect the consumer experience! Because Apple knows better than the consumer, what good consumer experience is.

I just 'jailbroke' my iPhone, because iTunes and Finder just make my brain explode. One is an incompetent file management software, the other is the most annoying, underpowered corporate junk. To me, using these softwares show either dedication or lack of tech interest and knowledge from millions of users. I have to say that this Jailbraking thing is pretty boring. But if that's what it takes to get network-supported tethering BACK, I have no problem with it.

Now that I'm at it, I don't think that Mac users are generally better informed about tech. I think it has more to do with the fact that they are wealthier and cannot be bothered about limitations of OS X. That must have been the case back in 2004 too. Only, that back then, Apple had more control over the quality of its hardware and Apple computers really cost more to manufacture. Now, at least about the internals that is not the case. We all use PC's whatever logo and OS they sell them to us with.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Now that I'm at it, I don't think that Mac users are generally better informed about tech. I think it has more to do with the fact that they are wealthier and cannot be bothered about limitations of OS X.

Limitation of OS X like being used by hackers and security consultants such as Kevin Mitnick
http://obamapacman.com/2009/09/kevi...minal-turned-security-consultant-is-mac-user/

being used for super computers
http://obamapacman.com/2009/08/high-performance-low-cost-super-computer-virginia-tech-mac-cluster/

Steve Jobs' NeXT workstation (foundation of OS X) is used to invent World Wide Web
http://obamapacman.com/2009/08/world-wide-web-inventor-tim-berners-lee-uses-apple-mac/

Yeah, the Mac OS is so limited. Perhaps someone with limited knowledge didn't know that OS X is certified UNIX.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Onerous? Is he kidding? You click a button, you burn a disk. Otherwise called a backup. To call it onerous is just the writer’s search for a pejorative adjective.

But then in Paragraph 14, he says:

So if I move it to another device, it’s not onerous, but if I burn my music to a medium that is played on thousands of devices, it is. Extremely flawed logic.
Extremely flawed logic? Taking DRM'd tracks, burning them to a CD, ripping that CD, renaming & retagging all the tracks *is* onerous. Being able to buy a non-DRM track and sync, or drag & drop, that track onto any MP3 player is *not* onerous. I'd also say using CDs to backup your iTunes library is onerous as well unless you have a very small library.

Lethal

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Extremely flawed logic? Taking DRM'd tracks, burning them to a CD, ripping that CD, renaming & retagging all the tracks *is* onerous. Being able to buy a non-DRM track and sync, or drag & drop, that track onto any MP3 player is *not* onerous.

True, But Apple cannot really be cited for DRM issues that it had no choice. DRM restrictions on iTunes were on the behest of the content owners. My recollection is that Apple's earliest negotiations of the iTunes store Apple wanted no DRM but the studios refused to bite. Besides, if we want an example of worse DRM - we can look no further than PlaysForSure which never did "play for sure". All the music stores used DRM that had restrictions - not just Apple. Amazon was the first one that started doing it I recall and it took months for Apple to catch up and Jobs had to raise prices to do it (another bone of contention).

Yes, DRM had some onerous restrictions, but Apple had little choice in the matter back then - it wasn't for many years that the studios opened up to the idea that killed that baby. Hopefully the movie studios can be less restrictive about this.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My recollection is that Apple's earliest negotiations of the iTunes store Apple wanted no DRM but the studios refused to bite.

Yet if you were an indie, you were forced to use DRM whether you wanted it or not. If you make an iPhone app, even a free one, you get DRM whether you want it or not.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Yet if you were an indie, you were forced to use DRM whether you wanted it or not. If you make an iPhone app, even a free one, you get DRM whether you want it or not.

I remember that, the argument back then was for consistency - Apple probably didn't want to get complaints from users who may have bought a couple of DRM free songs and then complain when the mainstream ones they bought weren't that way too.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
True, But Apple cannot really be cited for DRM issues that it had no choice.
But Apple could've licensed FairPlay. They didn't want to 'cause it would have cut into iPod sales but they could have.

But my point was more to illustrate how ridiculous mysterytramp's opinion is that burning, ripping, renaming and retagging songs is as easy copying the files from the computer to an MP3 player.

Lethal

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
But Apple could've licensed FairPlay. They didn't want to 'cause it would have cut into iPod sales but they could have.

I honestly wondered if that was something that Apple without the permission of the studios. After all it would be expanding distribution beyond their own devices - part of the reason Plays for sure failed was that there was no way to predicts which player could support what requirements the individual studios wanted. Fairplay had just one set of rules period. Of course all this was well after Apple started selling their own player - that makes no sense for Apple to compete aginst itself in the PMP market. MS doesn't even do that with the Zune.

Apple's system worked because it was so limited. No worrying about supporting companies with diverting interests and everything. Simplifying iTunes support helps too.

Apple could do alot of things. They just don't do those things and it arguably makes things easier.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It can be certified Roman Catholic, that's not the point!

Yeah, the Mac OS is so limited. Perhaps someone with limited knowledge didn't know that OS X is certified UNIX.

Perhaps someone with limited sense didn't realize that OS X's file management is pretty annoying. Finder is a very poor file management software and iTunes 'locks' users to iTunes and iPods, apart from being a piece of corporate junk.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
But my point was more to illustrate how ridiculous mysterytramp's opinion is that burning, ripping, renaming and retagging songs is as easy copying the files from the computer to an MP3 player.

The original statement was that it's "onerous" to move iTunes content to another manufacturer's mp3 player. I'll stand by my statement that "onerous" is flawed. Inconvenient, maybe; but "onerous" is an attempt to use a thesaurus to spackle over factual lapses.

Most people burn CDs to back up their iTunes purchases -- if they make backups at all. Therefore, most people already are doing the first steps to put their music on an alternative mp3 player anyway. (And in the process they're creating a disk that can be played on non-Apple-branded hardware, ironically.)

For the folks who are apparently spending thousands each year on iTunes, somehow I don't think these people are in the market for alternative mp3 players anyway.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.