Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
i4k20c
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone replaced a hdd in the powerbook?

How hard is it really?

I was thinking about upgrading my 80gb hdd to this hdd (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136345)

does anyone know of a better hdd for the 12inch 1.5ghz computer, and furthermore, this HD should work right?
i4k20c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Relznuk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4k20c View Post
How hard is it really?

I was thinking about upgrading my 80gb hdd to this hdd (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136345)

does anyone know of a better hdd for the 12inch 1.5ghz computer, and furthermore, this HD should work right?

Have you opened up your PB before? I have done this upgrade. And while I didn't find it difficult, I am also very experienced in this. This repair is not for the novice or the faint of heart. It is, however, doable. Head on over to iFixit.com or powerbookmedic.com for instructions.

Yes, this drive should work, as it is PATA standard compliant.
Relznuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
InLikeALion
macrumors 6502a

I agree with Relznuk. I've done it, and for me it wasn't hard. But I'm also patient, even handed, and have opened up and worked on everything from my car to guitars to pc's.

If you recognize that you are impatient or not good at slowly working with tiny parts, then I'd say it would be hard and not worth attempting yourself. Find a friend who has experience and ask/pay them to do it.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:21 AM   #4
i4k20c
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLikeALion View Post
I agree with Relznuk. I've done it, and for me it wasn't hard. But I'm also patient, even handed, and have opened up and worked on everything from my car to guitars to pc's.

If you recognize that you are impatient or not good at slowly working with tiny parts, then I'd say it would be hard and not worth attempting yourself. Find a friend who has experience and ask/pay them to do it.
Yeah. Truth is I haven't done much with computers, worked with a few desktop pc's

however, I do love to work on cars!

I asked a friend who has replaced a hdd in the old 15inch powerbooks, and he said he would help and do it all, or guide me along the way if i wanted to play around with it..

so i think im going to order it do it that way.

now to find my leopard, and ms office discs and begin the backup process.
i4k20c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
agbot
macrumors regular

I just installed that exact drive in my 15" Alu PB a couple days ago. I'm comfortable with that sort of thing, but it's really not bad. Just lots of tiny screws. It can be helpful to put each step/group of screws in their own bowl/container to keep track of things.
agbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs