Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Actually I find this drive slightly noisy, not too bad but you can definitely hear it spinning and clicking every so often. Anyone else experience this or should I be worried?

Thanks.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I have the same drive in my uMBP 17", and don't hear it and I work in a low noise environment. I've had mine installed for about 6 months.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I can barely hear mine and only if it's absolutely silent in the room. It's not a problem for me. Love the drive. It's reasonably quick for a 5400rpm drive too.

analytical44

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
Have the same clicking sound but only audible in low noise environments. Not really a problem, just a slight annoyance. It's a normal "problem" that others have posted about in previous threads. Seems to only be an issue in newer model mbps (unibody) and is due to the drive constantly spinning down to save power.

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I don't have any clicking or anything, but I have noticed that the startup time is incredibly long. For some reason it just takes forever and a day to boot up. But that's the only complaint I have really.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I have one. It's nosier then the stock 160GB drive, but I got used to it after a week. When I'm on campus you can't hear it all al though.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Have the same clicking sound but only audible in low noise environments. Not really a problem, just a slight annoyance. It's a normal "problem" that others have posted about in previous threads. Seems to only be an issue in newer model mbps (unibody) and is due to the drive constantly spinning down to save power.

Ok that is good to know.

I don't have any clicking or anything, but I have noticed that the startup time is incredibly long. For some reason it just takes forever and a day to boot up. But that's the only complaint I have really.

That's strange, on this machine (MBP 2.53/4GB) SL boots in several seconds.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I got my Scorpio Blue 500 GB for my Early 2008 MBP the other day, and I'm also experiencing the clicking noise. It sounds like the head parks itself on HD, and then other times its another type of a click that sounds like something moved inside and it intensifies the disk's "humming" slightly, then decreases it again. It's not really humming, but it more resembles the sound that the fans make. It's really hard to explain, but I guess you know what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty frustrated with this because I didn't see it coming. And it happens 1-3 times in a min I would say...

kap09

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
basically no noise from mine.

boot times are totally respectable. not much different than the stock 250GB i took out of it.

nitromullet

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
I installed a WD 500GB in my 13" uMBP this past weekend, and I am not too pleased with the increased noise/vibration. To call it "loud" would probably be a little unfair, because it certainly isn't. One would definitely not hear the WD HD when taking the laptop out and about, but I hear it when I have it at home. My uMBP was silent with the stock 160GB HD, and I liked it that way.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Has anyone solved the clicking problems with the Scorpio Blue by installing Snow Leopard? A previous thread suggested it might help.

Also another problem I have after putting it in my 13" MBP is it doesn't seem to be solidly fastened in there. Where did I go wrong? I'm pretty sure I screwed that little plastic piece in right..but after I did I could already tell it wiggled around a bit. I thought putting on the bottom cover would make it tight enough but it didn't, so it rattles around just by rotating the laptop in the air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.