Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillill

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Have a Rugged 500gb Fw800/400/USB disk. Am running it with Snow Leopard, and when Setup Assistant started the first time it said it couldn't work with Snow Leopard. I followed instructions etc to format using Disk Utility for Mac which went fine.

However, I've inadvertently deleted all the docs and backup tools that came with the drive (didn't copy them off before the format). I see I can download the individual pdf and .zip files from the LaCie site, but cannot find the Setup Assistant anywhere. Is it possible to re-download this onto the drive so when I plug it in it will show up? (ie, it'll act 'like new')?

I posted on the LaCie forum, but wondered if anyone here was able to help.

Thanks

jeremyjdodd

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
You really don't need that "Setup Assistant". Just reformat the drive with Disk Utility and that's the same thing as "Brand New".

When I attempt to connect this drive using my eSATA via ExpressPort connection, the drive does not show up in Disk Utility.

I am not sure why this would occur, since I can access it when connected using USB 2.0 and see that it's HFS+Journaled.

Any ideas on where I can download the Setup Assistant, or how to take care of this problem?

For background, I recently had the hard drive replaced. I did a restore from a Time Machine drive. Prior to the failure, the eSATA connection worked fine. Post hard drive replacement, it does not, which is why I think I need to download and run a new copy of Setup Assistant.

Thanks.

iWind130290

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
When I attempt to connect this drive using my eSATA via ExpressPort connection, the drive does not show up in Disk Utility.

I am not sure why this would occur, since I can access it when connected using USB 2.0 and see that it's HFS+Journaled.

Just use Terminal to re-format. Disk Utility can't see your ExtenalHD but u still can access when it connect. So, I think that Terminal can see it :)

jeremyjdodd

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the reply, IWIND.

Turns out I needed to install a different driver for the expresscard esata adapter. Once I took care of that, it worked like a charm. Better than before, even.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.