Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd5ftn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
I have a Win2003 SBS Domain server/file server that I'm trying to access from a few macs that aren't on Active Directory, but are connected to my network.

Attempting to open a network share as one of my domain users gives me "Connection Failed: You do not have permission to access this server"

However, I can access the share just fine if I login as a domain administrator. These domain users can also access these shares correctly from a domain PC.

I'm not sure why I'm having these permissions issues.

kd5ftn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
I've tried both username and domain\username.

Using just username works fine with my domain admin account.

Also, note that if the Mac user types in his domain credentials wrong, he gets an "invalid username/password". If the mac user types in the password correctly, he gets the "Connection Failed: You do not have permission to access this server", which means that the windows server is at least validating the password. I just need to know how/where to give them proper permissions.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
As you've stated that the users can access the shares when using a domain joined computer, I think permissions are set correctly.

Does Windows Event Viewer say anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.