Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1
kd5ftn
macrumors newbie

Domain users can't access Windows server from their Macs

I have a Win2003 SBS Domain server/file server that I'm trying to access from a few macs that aren't on Active Directory, but are connected to my network.

Attempting to open a network share as one of my domain users gives me "Connection Failed: You do not have permission to access this server"

However, I can access the share just fine if I login as a domain administrator. These domain users can also access these shares correctly from a domain PC.

I'm not sure why I'm having these permissions issues.
kd5ftn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

How are they typing their username?

username?

domain\username?

UPN?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
kd5ftn
macrumors newbie

I've tried both username and domain\username.

Using just username works fine with my domain admin account.

Also, note that if the Mac user types in his domain credentials wrong, he gets an "invalid username/password". If the mac user types in the password correctly, he gets the "Connection Failed: You do not have permission to access this server", which means that the windows server is at least validating the password. I just need to know how/where to give them proper permissions.

Last edited by kd5ftn; Nov 9, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
kd5ftn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

As you've stated that the users can access the shares when using a domain joined computer, I think permissions are set correctly.

Does Windows Event Viewer say anything?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking