Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
djsound
macrumors 6502a

Converting upper case file names to lower case.

I have about 50 *.mp3's on my hard drive that have the file names in all upper case. When looking at them in itunes it drives me nuts....Is there a way to convert the uppercase file name to lowercase? I have googled but can't find anything. I do not want to do it manually, that would take a long time =( thanks, I'm crossing my fingers..
djsound is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:56 PM   #2
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Go to Terminal:

cd /path/to/files

for FILE in `ls -A1 *.MP3`; do FILENAME=`echo ${FILE} | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; echo mv ${FILENAME} `echo ${FILENAME} | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`; done

That will output the commands to rename the files. If it looks correct, simply change "echo mv" to "mv".

Note this is untested and off the top of my head.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

If you want a GUI approach, get Name Mangler.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
belvdr
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
If you want a GUI approach, get Name Mangler.
Embrace the terminal, I say!
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
djsound
macrumors 6502a

I got so happy because Name Mangler looks perfect.....until I realized it doesnt work with os/x 10.4.1 =( which I have.........and there is no way I'd attempt Terminal hehe.......grrrrrrrrrrr
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I use the Automater Rename Finder Items command all the time to make batch changes like this. There is a command you can use called Change Case that will do exactly what you are trying to do. Just to be safe you can set up Automater to make a backup copy of the files prior to making the change in case something goes wrong. If you would prefer you can just make your own back up copy of the files.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
djsound
macrumors 6502a

very cool . I'll give that a go. thanks =)
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Jhanson09
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsound View Post
I got so happy because Name Mangler looks perfect.....until I realized it doesnt work with os/x 10.4.1 =( which I have.........and there is no way I'd attempt Terminal hehe.......grrrrrrrrrrr
http://www.manytricks.com/namemangler/ click in the box that says for older systems try file list.
Jhanson09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
djsound
macrumors 6502a

doh! thanks
Old Nov 9, 2009, 08:40 PM   #10
djsound
macrumors 6502a

That actually worked great but I realized that not only was the filename in uppercase but the ID3 tags were too.......so in itunes (which was bothering me) the song names and info are still in uppercase.....and I am guessing there is no possible way to change all of the ID3 tags to lowercase......I think im ****** out of luck =/
Old Nov 9, 2009, 09:27 PM   #11
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

You should take a look at Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes. There's one script for changing to sentence case, which is close to what you want. The scripts are somewhat old so no guarantee they work with the current iTunes, but worth a shot.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:00 PM   #12
BriChi
macrumors 6502

Any way to get the artists to be all caps also, I used automator to change the tracks titles to all caps in the ID3 tag but nothing lets me change the artist also. I can change the filename with no issue but I really want to change the mp3 tag to be all caps. Thx guys for any info you have
BriChi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:59 PM   #13
BerGaur
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvdr View Post
Go to Terminal:

cd /path/to/files

for FILE in `ls -A1 *.MP3`; do FILENAME=`echo ${FILE} | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; echo mv ${FILENAME} `echo ${FILENAME} | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`; done

That will output the commands to rename the files. If it looks correct, simply change "echo mv" to "mv".

Note this is untested and off the top of my head.
What if the filenames have spaces?

When in doubt, flat out.
-Colin McRae
BerGaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X