Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:51 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Can Apple take Microsoft's perch?

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Can Apple take Microsoft's perch?
Description:: That title should read "When will" not "Can they?"

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
spillproof
macrumors 68020

I don't see this happening anytime soon, at least not in the next 10 years.

I hate to say it, but I fear that Steve Jobs is like Tom Brady, the team sucks and can't do things on their own with out him. So Steve, you better have a plan set out before you die.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
cwt1nospam
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
I don't see this happening anytime soon, at least not in the next 10 years.
I think you've got this backwards. Microsoft has essentially two successful products and they both depend on IT preferring them over all other products in their class: Windows and Office. The lesson of the last ten years is that IT is becoming increasingly less relevant. People don't need to buy the hardware they recommend or the software, and consumers are tired of dealing with Microsoft headaches. Even now, with Windows 7 out, the basic feeling seems to be that Microsoft is in relatively good shape because 7 doesn't (so far) suck. Hardly a ringing endorsement or good news for their future prospects.

All Apple needs to do to surpass Microsoft is not screw up. If they just hold where they are now, they'll be looking down at a much smaller Microsoft in less than ten years!
cwt1nospam is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
ditzy
macrumors 65816

I can see Apple growing larger than they are today. I believe that growth will outstrip the market. But taking over as the market leader over Microsoft. Never going to happen.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
provided that Microsoft doesn't screw up...

It will never happen. IT staff know and are used to Windows. Further more, Apple doesn't have a business department. If they are, I've never seen them, and I've purchased a few computers for business. Additionally, their Applecare support sucks when it comes to businesses. Archive and Install is not a solution, nor is telling the end user that their computer must be buggy, but you can not install 10.5.8 on it because you bought it after 10.6 came out.

Lastly, the lack of a tower that is IT department fixable means that any hardware issues require at least a 1-week turnaround to fix. Unacceptable.

So yeah... If Apple doesn't make it into businesses, and Windows keeps improving, I see Apple having a problem, not Microsoft.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
cwt1nospam
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
It will never happen. IT staff know and are used to Windows.
You sound like some one who is new to IT, probably less than ten years. IT used to be very relevant to technology, and even today it's important. Just not nearly as important or influential as it used to be. As that influence decreases, Microsoft will need to come up with products that are successful without IT's help. They've been trying to do that for years and failing.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
jimmyjoemccrow
macrumors 6502

Explain how IT is becoming less relevant.
jimmyjoemccrow is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
FX120
macrumors 65816

Ugh. I hate to imagine a world where Apple was the dominant player as a single source computer manufacturer.

But at the same time, that's why it will (and couldn't) ever happen. Apple would never be willing to give up their integrated hardware/software model.

If they did, all we would end up with is another Microsoft.
FX120 is online now   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:55 PM   #9
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzy View Post
I can see Apple growing larger than they are today. I believe that growth will outstrip the market. But taking over as the market leader over Microsoft. Never going to happen.
Apple won't and doesn't plan on beating Microsoft in the desktop market share war. Steve Jobs has already said that Microsoft won that war in the 90's. Now it is time for Apple to win the mobile device OS war and so far things are looking good.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:00 PM   #10
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

is apple going to have $400 laptops and desktops?? do we see Fortune 100 companies committing to full apple deployments?

good luck with that, i see MS still on top in 20 years.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Prolanman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjoemccrow View Post
Explain how IT is becoming less relevant.
IT is no longer drives the business. The business drives IT.
Prolanman is offline   0
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:59 PM   #12
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
is apple going to have $400 laptops and desktops?? do we see Fortune 100 companies committing to full apple deployments?

This view is as naïve as the article linked in the OP. First, Apple and Microsoft have fundamentally different business models. Apple will never take Microsoft's perch because Microsoft's perch is not Apple's goal.

Second—in no way does this guarantee the viability of Microsoft. There is a misconception in fan space that Microsoft is healthy because Microsoft is big. This is not how corporate business works. Corporate health is predicated on growth. Microsoft is tapping around like a blind man in its search for growth areas. It is not having a lot of success identifying growth areas that generate profits. Currently, it is laying off employees. I'm not holding my breath until this situation changes.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:25 AM   #13
cwt1nospam
macrumors 6502

Quote:

How does $400 junk machines have anything to do with Microsoft remaining on top? It's those cheap machines that are killing companies like Dell. Companies that Microsoft depends on for selling its biggest cash cow: Windows.

I suppose that twenty years ago you saw IBM, Compaq, and DEC remaining key players in the PC manufacturing business today as well.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:09 AM   #14
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Ironically Apple doesn't need to produce anything like a $400 PC to beat Microsoft. Up until Windows 7 the only OS that would run on a $399 netbook was Windows XP or Linux and Microsoft gets ony a few dollars in licensing fees for every Netbook running XP compared to about $40-50 for every PC running Windows 7.

The thing that will continue to weaken Microsoft is increasing use of iPhones, Google Docs, Google Wave, Android OS and Cloud based application services all of which are very cheap or free and are new areas that Microsoft is trying to attract customers into with only limited success with its own cloud based services.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:42 AM   #15
jimmyjoemccrow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolanman View Post
IT is no longer drives the business. The business drives IT.
Which basically means the uninformed suits will be making the decisions on tech, not the people who actually know what they are talking about.
jimmyjoemccrow is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:09 AM   #16
Gav2k
macrumors 601

The only way apple will beat microflop is to open there os to the pc Market. This causes two problems. 1, a very driver heavy os that will be buggy live winblows. 2, the little malware/virus people will target osx every which way thy can.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:29 AM   #17
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt1nospam View Post
I think you've got this backwards. Microsoft has essentially two successful products and they both depend on IT preferring them over all other products in their class: Windows and Office.
Whereas Apple have none at all in this arena.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:47 AM   #18
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Love my Macs, but this will never happen as long as Apple refuses to cater for most of the computer market, ie. low-end. If anyone topples Microsoft, it'll probably be Google.
gregorsamsa is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:10 AM   #19
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Whereas Apple have none at all in this arena.
I guess your own point is lost on you. Microsoft relies on massive sales of two software products to a small group of buyers. Apple relies on small sales of a limited array of hardware products to a large number of end users.

The mammals are overtaking the dinosaurs and you are betting on the dinosaurs. Good luck with that.
MisterMe is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:56 AM   #20
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
Ironically Apple doesn't need to produce anything like a $400 PC to beat Microsoft. Up until Windows 7 the only OS that would run on a $399 netbook was Windows XP or Linux and Microsoft gets ony a few dollars in licensing fees for every Netbook running XP compared to about $40-50 for every PC running Windows 7.

The thing that will continue to weaken Microsoft is increasing use of iPhones, Google Docs, Google Wave, Android OS and Cloud based application services all of which are very cheap or free and are new areas that Microsoft is trying to attract customers into with only limited success with its own cloud based services.
Google's products can't touch MS in a lot of cases. with Office 2010 you will be able to grab data from a database and do BI functions on your desktop. In the past this required going to your local BI developer and waiting for the report to be written

google wave has gotten pretty bad reviews in some rags. the cloud is another name for the same thing i've heard over the last 10 years or so. in the future everything will live somewhere else, and yet it never happens. personally i think the cloud is a scam made up by the hardware companies to sell more higher margin hardware to companies like Amazon instead of less lower margin hardware to customers like my employer
alent1234 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:29 PM   #21
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
I guess your own point is lost on you. Microsoft relies on massive sales of two software products to a small group of buyers.
95% of businesses and 90%+ of consumers is a "small group".

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:00 PM   #22
FX120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
I guess your own point is lost on you. Microsoft relies on massive sales of two software products to a small group of buyers. Apple relies on small sales of a limited array of hardware products to a large number of end users.
Wha wha wha wha what?!?!
FX120 is online now   0
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:41 PM   #23
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
google wave has gotten pretty bad reviews in some rags. the cloud is another name for the same thing i've heard over the last 10 years or so. in the future everything will live somewhere else, and yet it never happens. personally i think the cloud is a scam made up by the hardware companies to sell more higher margin hardware to companies like Amazon instead of less lower margin hardware to customers like my employer
Interesting. Have you got any links to those reports on Google Wave?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:08 PM   #24
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmacguy View Post
Interesting. Have you got any links to those reports on Google Wave?
http://scobleizer.com/2009/10/01/goo...h-of-overhype/

and i'm one of those people that never installed our corporate IM app because i don't like people interrupting me
alent1234 is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:19 PM   #25
cjmillsnun
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
http://scobleizer.com/2009/10/01/goo...h-of-overhype/

and i'm one of those people that never installed our corporate IM app because i don't like people interrupting me
Oh a blogger, rather than a journalist. What does a real journalist say?

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/02/sap...ogle-wave.html

ahh yes, wait and see. Could that be because Wave is still in Beta?

Last edited by cjmillsnun; Nov 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
cjmillsnun is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion