Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeminator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hello everyone. I just installed the newest update to snow leopard (10.6.2). I have now discovered that the sound output in programs such as iTunes, Front Row, VLC and Firefox is gone along with the little sound it makes when turning up and down the volume. The same thing is the case when plugging in a mini-jack.
Program sounds (in front row or in mail, when sending and receiving a mail) is still present.

Have anyone experienced this or does anyone have a solution to my problem?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
After upgrading my output for my sounds was reset as well. Have you tried going into Sound prefs to see if anything has been changed by the update?

TomTerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
sound output volume dimmed after 10.6.2 upgrade

I updated to 10.6.2 last night. Now the icon for sound volume is dimmed, and I'm not getting sound either from internal speakers or after plugging headphones into jack. In the "Sound" system preferences box, the volume is set a max but can't be adjusted. Trying to adjust volume with increase or decrease volume keys produces the following icon. Any ideas for how to fix this? I can still get alert sounds either through internal or external speaker, but can't hear anything when iTunes or a video is played. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-10 at 10.00.12 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-10 at 10.00.12 AM.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,582

TomTerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
problem solved

OK, in the Sound panel of system preferences, when I select the Output button on top, the update had somehow deselected any output device. Clicking "internal speakers" restored functionality.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
OK, in the Sound panel of system preferences, when I select the Output button on top, the update had somehow deselected any output device. Clicking "internal speakers" restored functionality.

I had this problem too after updating to 10.6.2.
I can Confirm that the solution mentioned above is working:)

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.