Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SubtleBreeze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Is the 32GB really worth the additional $100? I plan to use the iPod Touch primarily for applications, and maybe for some videos and pictures.. but not music (I have a 120GB iPod classic for that). I don't know how many good applications are out there that I'll be using, but roughly how much space do they take up? And is the extra space and supposed "faster performance" worth the extra cash? Thanks in advance!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
do you want more space yes or no?

if you want alot of music and movies get the 32, if not get the 8

id personally get the 32 as watching movies on it is nice

i never use my ipod anymore as my iphone made it redundant

SubtleBreeze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Well, it's not really a question of want, but more-so a question of need. Applications are what I'm looking to use it for, as my iPod classic can take care of the other media. But if videos look a lot nicer on the Touch then I just might use it for that purpose as well.

Do apps take up much memory? If not, then I'll probably lean more towards the 8GB, and then I can use the additional $100 for something else.

Also, how much faster is the faster performance?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
apps like gps ones take up a lot of space

kinda depends on the app and how many you want. i dont know how to really answer it

i mean you could make 8 gigs work for sure. id like the flexibility with the 32 personally

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Most of my apps take up less than 10 MB. But it depends on what you download and how complex they are. I would go for the 32 GB.

- Faster Processor
- Newer
- Voice Control
- More Space

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I don't like the limitations of the 8gb. It is/was a temporary device, but due to things out of my control I haven't been able to upgrade.

I don't like the pressure being limite on music and video. And I'd much rather watch movies on the touch than the video I have. I leave it in the car for music these days (has a Broken click wheel), but with all the other stuff I have on here, I can have just one music playlist.

For me, the 32 would be good, the 64 almost perfect. I won't mentionthe camera thing ;)

for future proofing, I'd go with the 32. My kids can tell the speed difference between my dads 1g and my 2g. And they aren't gaming gurus at all.

So there you have my 2 cents

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Do apps take up much memory? If not, then I'll probably lean more towards the 8GB, and then I can use the additional $100 for something else.

Also, how much faster is the faster performance?

Apps have a huge range for file sizes, ranging from 1GB to 1 MB. Most games will take up 50-250MB and most productivity apps will be less than 10MB.

According to Apple, the 32/64GB touches are 50% faster. But keep in mind that the 8GB touch is already faster than most of the iPhone OS devices, so you're not settling for slow performance. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are almost no currently available apps or games that utilize the speed of the 32/64GB touches.

stab244

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
If you want to be future proof, it would be a good idea to just get the 32GB anyways. Who knows when developers will start making apps that require OpenGL 2.0.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
isnt 8gb 3G for $99 and 16gb 3GS for $199?:confused:

IMO get the 16gb 3GS for $199...you just need space for applications so it should be enough...

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
isnt 8gb 3G for $99 and 16gb 3GS for $199?:confused:

IMO get the 16gb 3GS for $199...you just need space for applications so it should be enough...

He's talking about an iPod Touch, I don't see ANYWHERE in the post where he talks about an iPhone.

If you're okay with spending $199 on a new 8GB, go with a refurb'd 16 ($199) or refurb'd 32 ($249). Formatted storage on the 8 gig is less than 7 and you'll be surprised how fast it fills up. A normal movie is about 1 gig each, add your photos, music, and even though most apps only use a couple MBs, you'll be picking and choosing what you want on it. Major pain, plus you'll save a couple bucks, spend it on good apps.

By the way, I just got a refurb'd 16 gig for my girlfriend and it's absolutely flawless, so have no fear buying a refurbished model. They're perfect.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
He's talking about an iPod Touch, I don't see ANYWHERE in the post where he talks about an iPhone.

If you're okay with spending $199 on a new 8GB, go with a refurb'd 16 ($199) or refurb'd 32 ($249). Formatted storage on the 8 gig is less than 7 and you'll be surprised how fast it fills up. A normal movie is about 1 gig each, add your photos, music, and even though most apps only use a couple MBs, you'll be picking and choosing what you want on it. Major pain, plus you'll save a couple bucks, spend it on good apps.

By the way, I just got a refurb'd 16 gig for my girlfriend and it's absolutely flawless, so have no fear buying a refurbished model. They're perfect.

oh i fail:( sorry

yeah refurb 32gb would be great..its just 50 bucks more...

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Is there any difference in speed with the current 8GB and the 2nd generation 32GB? I know the current 32GB and the 64GB are faster, so the 8GB have the same processor as the 2nd generation?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Is there any difference in speed with the current 8GB and the 2nd generation 32GB? I know the current 32GB and the 64GB are faster, so the 8GB have the same processor as the 2nd generation?

Yes, the current 8 GB model has the same processor as the 2nd gen ipod touch (i.e. the same as the iphone 3G but with the processor clocked slightly higher). The current 32 GB has the same hardware as the 3GS.

So 4x the capacity and twice the performance for $100 - sounds like a good deal to me.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Yes, the current 8 GB model has the same processor as the 2nd gen ipod touch (i.e. the same as the iphone 3G but with the processor clocked slightly higher). The current 32 GB has the same hardware as the 3GS.

So 4x the capacity and twice the performance for $100 - sounds like a good deal to me.
I'm going to get my daughter the refub 16GB, twice the capacity for the same price. She's 11, so she won't know about performance speed too much and I'm budget for an amount for Christmas and I don't go over what my set price is.

For me.. I would get the 32GB at least lol
Thanks for the info!

Rovias

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
Keep in mind...

...the price of a refurb 16 GB Touch (after tax) comes to $210.98 (at least here in Texas).

The price of a brand new 32 GB Touch right now is $269.99 on Amazon with no tax and free shipping.

A $60 price difference gets you twice the space and faster performance. It's up to you whether or not $60 is worth it. For me, it is.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
...the price of a refurb 16 GB Touch (after tax) comes to $210.98 (at least here in Texas).

The price of a brand new 32 GB Touch right now is $269.99 on Amazon with no tax and free shipping.

A $60 price difference gets you twice the space and faster performance. It's up to you whether or not $60 is worth it. For me, it is.

Not for a 11 yr old kid, and that would go outside of my budget I have set for her also. She has a 4GB Nano not even filled yet (just under 3GB filled), so 16GB will be plenty for her.
I agree that deal is great on Amazon, but then she won't get anything else on Christmas. Kids at that age rather open more then have a 1 present to open that cost more. If she was older and I had a better budget for her I might, heck in a few years she maybe ready for a bigger one.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Not for a 11 yr old kid, and that would go outside of my amount I have set for her also. She has a 4GB Nano not even filled yet (just under 3GB filled), so 16 will be plenty for her.
I agree that deal is great on Amazon, but then she won't get anything else on Christmas. Kids at that age rather open more then have a 1 present to open that cost more.

I actually wouldn't have a problem getting my 13yo the 8gb (or giving her mine). It is enough room for her, although she pushes the limit on her 8gb Nano - BUT, that is only because she fills it with movies. Last i looked she had all the Harry Potter ones on there :rolleyes:

She might end up with a Touch for her birthday (feb 2), i'm not sure. But the 8 or 16 would be what she got too.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I actually wouldn't have a problem getting my 13yo the 8gb (or giving her mine). It is enough room for her, although she pushes the limit on her 8gb Nano - BUT, that is only because she fills it with movies. Last i looked she had all the Harry Potter ones on there :rolleyes:

She might end up with a Touch for her birthday (feb 2), i'm not sure. But the 8 or 16 would be what she got too.

I really wish Apple kept the 16GB. I called Apple to see if I can get engraving on a 16GB refub, but they said no. I think the 16GB is perfect, and thanks about the movies also, I bet she'll want some movies on it.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Resale alone I'd say the 32GB. Your paying $2800 over two years, what's another $100?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.