Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
Just thought I'd open this thread for those of us waiting for the IMac 27 Quad Core from 3rd party retailers. I know there's already a gigantic thread going for those waiting in general for the Quads to ship (already at 2500+ posts) but this will be easier to get specific information for those of us waiting on the 3rd parties. I personally ordered an i5 from Amazon. Their website still shows it as 'pre-order'. Please feel free to post any new developments as you get them.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
Amazon response

btw...i emailed Amazon to see if they might have any new information on when they expect to start shipping these out...heres their response:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I apologize for any misunderstanding about the delivery estimate for your order.

"Apple iMac MB953LL/A 27-Inch Desktop" hasn't been released yet and the expected release date is not known. We rely on the manufacturer for release date information.

Once this item has been released and we receive copies, we will be able to ship it to you. It is not uncommon for there to be a delay of several weeks between the release and distribution of a new publication.

When your order is shipped, you should receive an e-mail message confirming the date, contents, and method of your shipment. As per our standard policy, we do not charge you for items until they enter the shipping process, so you will not be charged for this item until it is available and we have shipped it to you.

If you'd rather cancel your order, I understand. To cancel your order, go to the URL below and click the "Need to cancel an item?" button:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple is first shipping pre-orders which are ordered from Apple Online Store and then, shipping them to resellers

MacDuff2000

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Plano, TX
I placed an order for an i5 with Amazon on Sunday November 8th.

I hope it doesn't take a few weeks longer than ordering straight from Apple. I really like the $25 discount, no sales tax, and getting 3% back for using my Amazon card.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
I placed an order for an i5 with Amazon on Sunday November 8th.

I hope it doesn't take a few weeks longer than ordering straight from Apple. I really like the $25 discount, no sales tax, and getting 3% back for using my Amazon card.

yup... i'm with you there..except i'm getting 6% back! b/c i just opened up my amazon visa card (specifically to purchase this iMac!!)... 6% translates to getting an extra $125 back in Amazon gift cards :D

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Apple is first shipping pre-orders which are ordered from Apple Online Store and then, shipping them to resellers

Not if Apple has a strong demand for there product. Then they will continue to ship online orders and store orders, ignoring the resellers. I remember that happened with my 17" UMBP. Announced in Feb. started shipping march. Resellers didn't start seeing them for months after apple started to ship.

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Not if Apple has a strong demand for there product. Then they will continue to ship online orders and store orders, ignoring the resellers. I remember that happened with my 17" UMBP. Announced in Feb. started shipping march. Resellers didn't start seeing them for months after apple started to ship.

Ugh. This is making me want to cancel my amazon order.

uni-rapide

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands

As we have no Apple Stores in The Netherlands and because iCentre is an official Premium Reseller and Authorised Service Provider I expect Apple to see these guys like being an Apple Store. So pre-ordered units will hopefully not be witheld for online orders...

powderd

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I ordered from clubmac. still have backordered on my order. I spoke with their customer service and they said something around nov 15th was their proposed date of getting imacs. obviously i don't know if this is true or not....i will say that it would make zero sense for apple to have "official resellers" and not give them any product. if that really does happen why have official resellers?

triggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Same Boat

I just posted into the massive "Waiting to Ship" thread, and then found this one. That's what I get for just clicking the same buttons and not paying attention.

I ordered the Quad i5 from Amazon on Oct. 20th and still have not received any date.

I'm guessing that Apple is fulfilling online pre-orders first, then units for the Apple Stores, then Best Buy, then all of the big resellers, followed by everyone else.

Best Buy's U.S. site no longer lists the quad core at all, and the Canadian site now calls it a pre-order (it used to say that they would ship Nov. 7). Not good signs at all.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Best Buy's U.S. site no longer lists the quad core at all, and the Canadian site now calls it a pre-order (it used to say that they would ship Nov. 7). Not good signs at all.

On the Best Buy subject, I had a ninny bitch at me for stating he was wrong is showing them selling it; but he did point at Canada later.

Here in Atlanta, my Apple rep at Best Buy stated they were not going to sell Quads at Best Buy per Apple.

Now I have not checked Microcenter, it might be different for them because they are authorized to repair them.

I ordered from Club Mac. I did it for the $50 off base price, $100 back by rebate, and saving $140 in sales tax. If I have to wait a few weeks oh well. Its just a computer.

powderd

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I ordered from Club Mac. I did it for the $50 off base price said:
I agree, the savings of close to 300 is well worth waiting an extra week. I'm still impatient, but i'm happy for all the savings. Hell, i got a free printer and a free parrallells. Now if i can just find a copy of windows 7 for free....

miki66

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
IL
I ordered from Club Mac. I did it for the $50 off base price, $100 back by rebate, and saving $140 in sales tax. If I have to wait a few weeks oh well. Its just a computer.

:eek: that's really good! how did u get that 50 bucks off? and I heard that clubmac and macmall, macconnection, all these resellers charge sales tax based on shipping address, isn't it true?:confused:

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Boo. Ugh. Talk about news I didn't want to read. I pre-ordered from Amazon on Nov. 1st to save almost $200 in taxes/shipping. Now it looks like an insane wait. I may as well order from Apple or take my chances waiting for a retail store and paying the tax. Talk about a bummer. I'm patient, but waiting 2-3 weeks?

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
yup... i'm with you there..except i'm getting 6% back! b/c i just opened up my amazon visa card (specifically to purchase this iMac!!)... 6% translates to getting an extra $125 back in Amazon gift cards :D

Wow. Pretty nice deal with the Amazon Visa. Tempting, but with big purchases like these, I'd still rather use my Amex and get the free extra year of warranty coverage.

And to those of you who are waffling on waiting it out on Amazon... just keep reminding yourself of all the money you're saving. And, if it the wait is just unbearable, just try to hold out until Black Friday. It's only two weeks away. You'll still pay more at the Apple Store, but you'll at least be able to save maybe another $100. :)

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
:eek: that's really good! how did u get that 50 bucks off? and I heard that clubmac and macmall, macconnection, all these resellers charge sales tax based on shipping address, isn't it true?:confused:

$50 of, is because its 1949 on their site instead of 1999 on Apple's. They then added $100 MIR.

Mac Connection charges sales tax to Georgia because they have business contracts with the state. Amazon and Club Mac do not, I do not know if Mac Mall does.

It all depends on your state. Club Mac is in California, I did not see other home states for them.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I noticed that Sweetwater changed their tune, their new caption for the QC reads

New At Sweetwater
We have already placed orders for this new item, and ensured that they are prioritized to take advantage of the manufacturer's earliest shipments. Pre-order with us now, and we'll send it to you as soon as the first batch arrives at Sweetwater.

A lot different than the "confirmed they were on their way".

whoisandy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Shipped to Powermax then to me

I ordered mine from Powermax on Oct. 23. I called and placed the order for an i7 with wired keyboard. They told me yesterday that Apple has shipped my iMac to them and they will ship to me same day they receive it.

powderd

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
i'm turning into that stalker/caller for clubmac and i've been told multiple times by multiple different techs that they expect their allotment of imac to arrive on nov 16th. They could be full of it, but if they aren't i'll take almost 300 in savings for waiting an extra 5-7 days

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
We have a computer store in my country that keeps Apple products, they usually get stock from a France premium seller who is authorized to distribute in Africa, the french company said they were informed by apple,

That first all online pre orders will be dealt with, then they will stock up all apple retail stores , and 3rd are the resellers, so im down :mad::( with the fact that i might not receive my iMac till first week of December....

jgmacrum

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
I was *really* hoping to get the machine some time during thanksgiving week as I'm not going to be at work. Ordered from Amazon w/ next day shipping ... I suppose that's still a possibility, but I'm thinking less likely now. There's an apple store just a couple of miles away, if I don't have the machine by then I'll probably see if I can pick one up in person and ccancel my amazon order.

dabears

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
California
Wow. Pretty nice deal with the Amazon Visa. Tempting, but with big purchases like these, I'd still rather use my Amex and get the free extra year of warranty coverage.

Actually..the Amazon Visa also gives you the extra year of warranty coverage! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.