Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1
modular
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
how much is a powermac g5 with broken logic board worth?

I brought my powermac into the apple store to confirm what I already thought - the logic board on my g5 is done.

I'm putting it up on CL with full disclosure, but I was wondering what I should ask for it? Here are the specs, what would you pay?

powermac dual 1.8 g5
2gb ram (512x4)
80gb HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
superdrive


sometimes it boots up, sometimes it doesn't.
modular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
MacVidCards
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
part it out

The 9800XT (if it is a real Mac one) is worth at least $200 all by itself, more than rest of computer
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:00 PM   #3
ClassicII
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Ya thats too bad the 1.8 and 2.0 boards have been failing at a big rate. :/

Along with the video card the processors go for a decent amount along with the power supply.
ClassicII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4
modular
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rominator View Post
part it out

The 9800XT (if it is a real Mac one) is worth at least $200 all by itself, more than rest of computer
wow i had no idea the graphics card was worth that much. It is the 9800XT that came shipped with the g5, so it's the real deal.

I don't really have the time to sell parts individually, so I think I'm just going to post it for $225. It will be a nice discount on my next mac.
modular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:37 AM   #5
300D
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by modular View Post
wow i had no idea the graphics card was worth that much.
Thats because it isn't. The entire 1.8 G5 would be worth $200, if it were working, the 9800XT itself is only worth about $50.
300D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:41 AM   #6
modular
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300D View Post
Thats because it isn't. The entire 1.8 G5 would be worth $200, if it were working, the 9800XT itself is only worth about $50.

you're wrong about that. I checked on eBay, a used 9800xt exactly like the one I have just sold for $170 after getting 5 bids. Nice try though.

I'm gonna throw it up on CL for $200-$225 and see who bites. Worst case i'll sell the 9800XT on ebay for $170.

Last edited by modular; Nov 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
modular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:12 AM   #7
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by modular View Post
you're wrong about that. I checked on eBay, a used 9800xt exactly like the one I have just sold for $170 after getting 5 bids. Nice try though.

I'm gonna throw it up on CL for $200-$225 and see who bites. Worst case i'll sell the 9800XT on ebay for $170.
Yea, mac specific graphic cards most definitely pitch for a high resale value on ebay. I know because i made the mistake of selling my PowerMac G5 with the graphics card in it at too good of a price to the buyer. Unfortunately it was not until after the transaction that I discovered that I could have made more money by selling the graphics card individually and selling the G5 with its original stock card. Oh well, lesson learned.
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air 2 iPhone 6 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
300D
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tulsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by modular View Post
you're wrong about that. I checked on eBay, a used 9800xt exactly like the one I have just sold for $170 after getting 5 bids.
Sorry, a few "uninformed" people willing to pay an extremely high price for a low-value 5 year old card doesn't reflect the real market value. All a seller has to do is demand a ridiculous price and some schmuck will eventually come along and pay it.

Being a "Mac card" doesn't make it that special.
300D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:57 PM   #9
greenmeanie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
I would actually want the case only for my PC - mac project.
greenmeanie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPU or Logic Board broken? ihaveagibsonsg MacBook Pro 5 Jan 26, 2014 11:41 AM
Logic Board A1278 Issue - Component broken - Does not turning on lazton MacBook Pro 10 Jan 10, 2014 02:11 PM
2011 logic board failing...worth anything? mattashwood MacBook Pro 5 Nov 5, 2013 03:39 PM
Broken LCD to Logic board cable? FlashGordon7 iMac 5 Mar 17, 2013 04:12 AM
27" Imac with broken logic board, seeking advice choose46 iMac 5 Mar 16, 2013 12:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC