Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
sananda
macrumors 68020

Camera Raw and DNG converter

Am I right in thinking that Adobe have tested each camera they support in Camera Raw and the default adjustments are particular to each camera?

And, if that is the case, is it also the case that converting a file from a supported camera into a DNG file with DNG Converter will result in that DNG file having the same particular adjustments being applied in Camera Raw?

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
zachsilvey
macrumors 6502

When you convert a RAW file (whether it be .nef .orf. or whatever canon uses) to DNG you aren't adjusting anything.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
sananda
macrumors 68020

Thanks for your help.

I think I've found the answer to my first question. It seems that Camera Raw uses two camera profiles for every camera model it supports to process raw images. The profiles are produced by photographing a colour target under different white-balanced lighting conditions. When you set a white balance, Camera Raw uses the profiles for your camera to extrapolate colour information.

It also seems that DNG Converter uses camera specific profiles. But I don't understand what happens when you open a DNG Converter produced file (from a camera not supported in previous versions of Camera Raw) in an old version of Camera Raw. Is the camera specific profile being used to extrapolate colour information?

Anybody know?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography