Certain playlists don't show up to be synced - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1
OrangeCuse44
macrumors 65816

Certain playlists don't show up to be synced

No idea how or why this is happening, but lately a couple of my important playlists aren't appearing in the Music tab to be synced when I plug in my iPhone. Both are smart playlists and are just non existent to be checked off (I manually manage music). Has anyone experienced this? What's the deal?
Nikon D90:18-105 VR:35mm f/1.8:Flickr Project 365 Twitter
OrangeCuse44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2
myyours
macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing the same thing with my iPod. For a while, I thought I had it figured it. It seemed like if a playlist had a criteria that referenced a playlist that wasn't also being synced to the iPod (i.e. "Playlist is not 'Exclusion'"), then the new one wouldn't be available to be synced either. Once I adjusted the playlists to not have that criteria, my playlists showed up fine. But now I'm having the same problem with some new playlists, and I can't explain why.

Anybody else?
myyours is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
hizzle
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for this post. I couldnt figure it out until I removed some exclusions. Not sure why certain rules would foobar the system, but whatever. Happy now!
hizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
BrassJam
macrumors newbie

I have found that if you select "New Smart Playlist" and create a playlist from scratch then it seems to sync ok.

I have about 40 smart playlists - most of these were created by the "Duplicate" option as they are the same principle (highest rated songs by certain artist) - just different per artist.

These "duplicated" playlists will NOT sync or even appear as selectable in the iPod sync window.

Ooooooooooof!!!!!
iPod Classic 80GB & iPod Touch 32GB
BrassJam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:32 PM   #5
br10ta10
macrumors newbie

No luck here. I have a playlist called iPod that contains all the music I want on my iPod. I have a few lists built where "Playlist = iPod" that have some BPM restrictions (great for doing workouts of a certain rhythm.) But these don't work, even if I create them from scratch. They just don't show up in the list.
br10ta10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
myyours
macrumors newbie

I've managed to solve the problem on my end. Take a look at your playlists and see if there's any criteria that could be seen as overlapping.

For instance..."Media Kind is Music" and "Media Kind is not Podcast"

Since you've already set "Media Kind is Music," you don't need to tell it to also exclude Podcasts or Audiobooks or Music videos, etc.

For some reason, iTunes now sees this as a contradiction and won't allow you to sync this to your iPhone/iPod without removing one of them.

It doesn't make sense logically, but it works with iTunes logic. So check it out and see if you have overlapping criteria like that.
myyours is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
br10ta10
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by br10ta10 View Post
But these don't work, even if I create them from scratch.
I finally got it to work. The problem was that I needed to start the original playlist that I was basing my smart playlist off of from scratch, and not just starting the smart list from scratch. I wonder if something was corrupt in that regular playlist that made things not work.
br10ta10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:35 AM   #8
ACass01
macrumors newbie

I found the easiest way to deal with the problem was to select the Playlist and drag it up to the Device (in this case myIPOD). Of course - first my iPOD would have to be connected to the PC and iTunes open.
ACass01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod