Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
arnieterm
macrumors regular

UIKeyboard style other than default

Hi all
Is it possible to show the Keyboard in a style other than the default/alert. I need to show the keyboard with background color different than what is supported. Though creating a custom keyboard view will solve this problem but it will eat up a lot of time.
Can anybody suggest?
Arnieterm
arnieterm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
North Bronson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieterm View Post
Hi all
Is it possible to show the Keyboard in a style other than the default/alert. I need to show the keyboard with background color different than what is supported. Though creating a custom keyboard view will solve this problem but it will eat up a lot of time.
Can anybody suggest?
Arnieterm
The keyboard is private API. I wouldn't try customizing it if you plan on uploading the app to Apple.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Luke Redpath
macrumors 6502a

Interestingly enough, Jumsoft's Money app uses a completely customized UIKeyboard (its completely wood-grain textured) but my observation after playing around with the app is that they haven't used any private APIs but have simply re-implemented UIKeyboard from the ground up which IMO is a terrible idea.

Just one clue that led me to this conclusion is that double-tap shift for caps lock doesn't work which also highlights why trying to re-implement native widgets will only lead to mistakes.
Luke Redpath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:22 AM   #4
arnieterm
macrumors regular

Yes Luke Redpath by custom I mean the same thing that you have mentioned in your reply. Its time consuming but will give good result in the end. I am not looking at UIKeyboard class internals because that is annoying for apple.
Thanks
Arnieterm
arnieterm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming