Apple's Upper West Side Store Unveiled - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:56 AM   #76
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iekozz View Post
I like most Apple stores, but I think this one looks not right. It's nice on the outside, but the inside is just some tables with Apple products laid nicely.
What's throwing you off is the lack of a mass of people milling about. Ultimately that's a design element as well.
GQB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:01 AM   #77
casik
macrumors regular

hmmm... I would say that above all else apple still values innovation and the "wow" factor over anything else like being green. I'm sure there is a solid green house like effect with being in a all glass building, but I have to say that i'm pretty sure apple has looked into how green the building really is. It is nice to see some architecture tho that doesn't look like a copy or like crap. The high ceilings will be nice for the high volume of people going through the store... I wonder how high the ceilings are on the lower level....
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:01 AM   #78
WoFat
macrumors member

Green My Butt

I like extravagance, even if it comes at the expense of some bush in the jungle ("Rain Forest" for all you touchy - feely folk out there).
WoFat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:02 AM   #79
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a

For those people who post that Apple Isn't Green!

What have you done as an individual to make your life green? Don't accept plastic bags when you shop? Bring your own cloth bags? Do you recycle your trash? Have fluorescent bulbs through your house? Turn off all lights at night? Shut down your computer when not in use? Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car? Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work? Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?

Just a few questions to see what your doing in your life to be greener!
DesignerOnMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:05 AM   #80
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

My initial reaction was wow, that's stunning. Then I come on here and read all the uninformed experts rattling on about heating bills and green credentials, as if these things had never entered Apple's minds
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:05 AM   #81
blackpond
macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for the scene where an armored truck crashes through the front of the building and several machine gun weilding robots jump out of the back and shoot all the glass to shards.

CUT-TO

"DROID DOES"
blackpond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:07 AM   #82
Drag'nGT
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
1 November 2009

Thumb resize.

By the way, the street runs north-south, the right side of the store is north - so it gets good sun exposure.

Good one!
So employees will be well tanned.

Gorgeous store!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:11 AM   #83
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenerd View Post
Not to mention clean, look at all that glass! Looks amazing though.
No kidding! Even in NYC, there just aren't that many 30 foot tall squeegee men around...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:15 AM   #84
miketcool
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerOnMac View Post
What have you done as an individual to make your life green? Don't accept plastic bags when you shop? Bring your own cloth bags? Do you recycle your trash? Have fluorescent bulbs through your house? Turn off all lights at night? Shut down your computer when not in use? Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car? Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work? Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?

We aren't the ones going around advertising that we're the greenest computer company...

1) I use my backpack instead of plastic bags, which means I walk to the grocery store.

2) I compost and recycle.

3) I refuse to use mercury CFL or fluorescent tubes for that matter. I use simple tungsten bulbs on dimmers. They are as efficient, put out better light, last as long or longer then CFL's and are 100% recyclable or rebuildable.

4) My computer is always shutdown at night and unplugged. MY electronic devices are on a powerstrip that gets shutoff when not in use. Gadgets consume up to 25% of their power while being "off".

5) I don't have an SUV, my car is a whistle clean 20 year old recycled car that gets 30mpg city and 33mpg highway.

6)My bike is my daily driver.

7)I do my laundry late at night and air dry when I can.

8)I do all these things, not because I give a rats ass about the environment, but because I care about the health and well being of others. Saving money means I can donate more time and money toward helping others. Not polluting waterways with harmful chemicals in CFLs means I am doing less to hurt others. Going "green" and being holier-then-thou is pointless if you are not going to realize that their are REAL moral and civic responsibilities outside of animals.

When Apple wants to comply and make their entire way of life green, then I will listen to them when they complain about the US Chamber of Commerce and tout doing everything they can.
miketcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:15 AM   #85
fifthworld
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arqsagi View Post
what apple needs is a big projector or BIG lcd screen to hand on the back wall showing some videos that will grab anyone attention
Here you go

fifthworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:19 AM   #86
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattrixMSP View Post
Guys, you don't get the idea behind the design, yes it's big, yes it's tall, but it is an homage to the Proscenium Stage.

It's a nod to the neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proscenium
Excellent point. Also consider this in context of the location:

Quote:
At night the store is a beacon visible for several blocks, especially for those approaching by car or on foot from the south. The glow of the ceiling lights, the backlit logo and the back-lit wall graphics are brighter than anything on Broadway. As you approach closer, the towering height of the storefront becomes apparent.
It's meant to create drama from the outside, not just up close, but also from a distance, and as one approaches. I'm hoping someone posts a video that shows this. I don't think a static photo could capture the impact.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:22 AM   #87
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:

OK since you asked, but admittedly for someone living in the EU this is ridiculously easy:
Don't accept plastic bags when you shop?
Check.

Bring your own cloth bags?
Check.

Do you recycle your trash?
Check.

Have fluorescent bulbs through your house?
We use energy saving bulbs.

Turn off all lights at night?
What a strange question. Of course I do. Why would I keep my lights on while I'm asleep? And we only light a room in use.

Shut down your computer when not in use?
Check.

Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car?
Never owned a huge SUV — yes, for an American that must be a difficult one to get to grips with…

Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work?
Check. I cycle to the train station *gasp* or I even walk! You know the thing you do with your feet…

Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?
Check.

Now that I've answered you, what's your score?
If I may ask… How much of your own food do you grow? And I don't mean the stuff that grows around the rims of your discarded polystyrene tubs…

Last edited by arkitect; Nov 12, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:23 AM   #88
uuaschbaer
macrumors regular

Hell, that's a cathedral.
uuaschbaer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:35 AM   #89
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketcool View Post
I can tell you, by looking at this building, without knowing any of the actual HVAC systems involved, as an architect; this is a tremendous challenge. Seeing as how their are NO physical systems employed to deal with heat loss and heat gain, besides heavy structural glass likely made in China, I can tell you this is a very, very inefficient building.
Have you considered the fact that the products themselves are enormous generators of heat, and that Apple Stores in general have a serious cooling problem? By allowing the heat to move upward from the ceiling and away from customers, perhaps it is easier for Apple to create a quiet, comfortable environment at the customer level. Just a thought.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:38 AM   #90
iSimx
macrumors 6502

so much wasted space.... they could easily include another floor..
iSimx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:38 AM   #91
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Quote:

This.

I hate (absolutely HATE) when people hop in here with the "Screw [insert company/person here] for not being green" attitude when there is a great chance they are not being 'green' themselves. At least Apple has taken steps to being green, would you rather they just say screw it and start being as wasteful as possible?

The elitist attitude some people have here is amazing, I swear some people here are just looking for things to complain about. Oh well.

Anyone here want to guess how much electricity is used by all the servers you hit while browsing the web that run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:38 AM   #92
gugy
macrumors 68000

beautiful store, like the cube in NY too.
Wow they have the best stores in NY, I am jealous.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:40 AM   #93
Supermacguy
macrumors regular

Totally ungreen and a waste of space. They could add 2 more useful floors inside it, and still keep the huge open front facade for effect. 2 thumbs down for efficiency, 1 up for effect.
Supermacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:44 AM   #94
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberamd View Post
Anyone here want to guess how much electricity is used by all the servers you hit while browsing the web that run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?
I was with ya, until that last comment. I save a huge amount of travel cost by doing as much online as possible. Whatever the servers cost, it's a heck of a lot greener than actually being there in person.

BTW, the energy footprint of servers is going down rapidly-- this is seen as a huge area of cost savings in IT. Money talks.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:46 AM   #95
Van man Jerry
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketcool View Post
Actually, that hits home exactly the key point of the issue. A professional can tell you this is inefficient. If they general public looks at this project and doesn't get the sense this is eco-friendly IF it is eco-friendly, then it has failed. I know this building is inefficient, the public doesn't "know" but if they think it isn't, Apple has dropped the ball on their green message.
Who is the design firm? As a LEED AP, 70% ARE, I would like to see the envelope numbers. I guess well find out when it's published. The center city phila. Store has a better chance. Existing building. Same firm???

As a Eco friendly company, I believe goes beyond most. I guess if they truly believed they were Eco friendly, they would make the I phone from cardboard.
Van man Jerry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:47 AM   #96
awinn233
macrumors member

It looks like a fancy warehouse. I don't like it.
awinn233 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:48 AM   #97
z4n3

Quote:
This.

I hate (absolutely HATE) when people hop in here with the "Screw [insert company/person here] for not being green" attitude when there is a great chance they are not being 'green' themselves. At least Apple has taken steps to being green, would you rather they just say screw it and start being as wasteful as possible?

The elitist attitude some people have here is amazing, I swear some people here are just looking for things to complain about. Oh well.

Could not have put it better myself....THANK YOU uberamd
z4n3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:49 AM   #98
GQB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermacguy View Post
Totally ungreen and a waste of space. They could add 2 more useful floors inside it, and still keep the huge open front facade for effect. 2 thumbs down for efficiency, 1 up for effect.
I don't think that you're justified in proclaiming that this building is 'not green' based on a few photos. You haven't examined the engineering details so you no now of what you speak.
The building could easily be quite efficient using the south-facing glass for heat in winter and good ventilation and air flow for expulsion of hot air in summer.
I don't know and neither do you.
GQB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:50 AM   #99
uberamd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
I was with ya, until that last comment. I save a huge amount of travel cost by doing as much online as possible. Whatever the servers cost, it's a heck of a lot greener than actually being there in person.

BTW, the energy footprint of servers is going down rapidly-- this is seen as a huge area of cost savings in IT. Money talks.
No doubt that doing online banking and what not saves money, I am completely with you. But web browsing, online gaming, etc is what I was talking about.

I work at a University and I run the servers in one of the colleges server rooms. It is always cold in there (air conditioned to 68 F), and we have many large servers going year round non stop. That uses quite a bit of electricity, and our building is LEED certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The larger university server rooms have many more servers and very large generators going year round. This stuff eats energy, and this is just one one university campus.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:55 AM   #100
fifthworld
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unfortunately, to myself and to many people here, this is exactly what appear Apple is saying with this store: "Screw it and start being as wasteful as possible!"
fifthworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion