Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Out of the blue my Entourage is acting up.

I try to send e-mail ( i can receive it ) I get this bugger...

entourage.jpg

Now I have everything clicked so my entourage should be using the same pass/username to authenticate the SMTP server...

yet i still get that error message..

any help/suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
If you didn't do anything, it's the SMTP server with your ISP. Either contact them or wait a while. My Yahoo account kicks off everynow and then with Mail.app mainly because I have it check every 5 minutes.

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
ok, Ive been messin' with it and hopefully it will just fix itself...Im assuming it has something to do with my websites SMTP server.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MonsterZero said:
ok, Ive been messin' with it and hopefully it will just fix itself...Im assuming it has something to do with my websites SMTP server.
In all probability, your SNMP server does not require authentication. While messing around, you probably checked "SNMP server requires authentication." Uncheck it.

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Ok, Im losing my mind....

When the "SNMP server requires authentication." ( though I think its SMTP ) is unchecked I get ...

error2.jpg

Yet I can still recieve mail.....

ugh.

EDIT: I tried setting up my e-mail in my Mail.app and I get the same thing....so I am I safe to assume this has something to do with my websites SMTP server ?

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Also...

Can soemone better explain to me what SMTP is ?

Does that have to do with my ISP that i connect to the interent with ? or does it have to do with my website hosting ?

thanks again.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
MonsterZero said:
Also...

Can soemone better explain to me what SMTP is ?

Does that have to do with my ISP that i connect to the interent with ? or does it have to do with my website hosting ?

thanks again.
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It has to do with whoever your email account is with. If it's smtp.yourisp.com, then it's your ISP, if it's smtp.yourdomain.com then it's yours.

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
still losing my mind...my web hoster is next to impossible to contact :mad: ...

could this have anything to do with my keychain or something w/ my preferences

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
MonsterZero said:
still losing my mind...my web hoster is next to impossible to contact :mad: ...

could this have anything to do with my keychain or something w/ my preferences
What do you mean that you can't contact your ISP?

MonsterZero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
i was just being sarcastic.....contacting anyoen liek that can be annoying.

and in an update, nothing changed with my e-mail...so that was teh last staw to finally ( long over due ) to switch my webhosting to someplace wioth good support and info.

now if it only went a bit faster

lepwisk

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Toronto
I've been tearing m hair out with the same problem for the last couple of days, and I've come to suspect that the problem is with Entourage itself. Entourage always worked well for me in the past, but my new ISP requires SMTP authentication (my email username and password), and it seems that the authentication protocols that Entourage uses are faulty. When I configure mail.app with exactly the same SMTP authentication info as I've entered in my Entourage account settings, it sends mail fine. I spoke to the tech support folks at my ISP, and they told me that my Entourage account settings was correct.

So... Microsoft has implemented some non-standard version of a public standard. Go figure. Grrrrr! :mad:

folkdanncer

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
Entourage & yahoo

lepwisk said:
I've been tearing m hair out with the same problem for the last couple of days, and I've come to suspect that the problem is with Entourage itself. Entourage always worked well for me in the past, but my new ISP requires SMTP authentication (my email username and password), and it seems that the authentication protocols that Entourage uses are faulty. When I configure mail.app with exactly the same SMTP authentication info as I've entered in my Entourage account settings, it sends mail fine. I spoke to the tech support folks at my ISP, and they told me that my Entourage account settings was correct.

So... Microsoft has implemented some non-standard version of a public standard. Go figure. Grrrrr! :mad:

I got DSL through SBC Yahoo and I can't get Entourage or Mail to work. I get similar errors. I have checked and unchecked in every machination I think. I finally gave up and am using web mail only. I hate it. Can't even change font colors, sizes, styles. Then when it opened today with "Today's Tip", I read a tip telling me to use different fonts, colors, sizes etc. I clicked on the link and it just opened a compose page that STILL has no options to change text in any way. UGHHH! Is this a Mac thing? Another form of discrimination?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.