Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hello all,

Since some of you seem to be getting the i5and i7s already and others have had the C2D for a couple of weeks, I figured I would ask for some opinions. I dont have my i7 yet, but still have my MBP so I figured I can start getting some stuff lined up for when my iMac finally arrives.

So I have a ton of apps on my MBP that I will want on my iMac as well. for example, Handbrake, VLC, Onyx just to name a few.

Cant I simply copy those application files right from Finder to an external drive, then plug it into the iMac, copy them to the application folder on the iMac and be ready to rock and roll?

I doubt I can do that with apps that require registration, right? Like Office for Mac or Adobe CS3??

Also, what about Windows in Parallels? I have Win 7 running with all the programs I need in there like AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD. Is there anyway I can easily port that virtual machine to my new iMac?? Or am I stuck with setting that all up again?

I dont remember the last time I was this pumped up for a fricken piece of electronics. Ive already pretty much remodeled my basement in anticipation of my iMac coming home!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Here is one way:

http://www.cultofmac.com/how-to-upgrade-to-snow-leopard-the-right-way/15141

You will need some form of backup device to fully clone the HD in your MBP. You shouldn't have to do much once everthing is migrated to your iMac; however Parallels may need some tweaking.

Goodluck!

Oh I got plenty of external drive space just waiting for that 2tb iMac to run TM the first time. I have a 4tb Drobo and 2 1tb airdisks.

I thought about doing the clone thing but is there anything to worry about since Im going from my MBP to the iMac? Different chip sets dont come into play here I guess.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Well on setup of my i5 it asked if I was new or migrating...pick migrating and then it takes it from there you just need firewire cable to plug between the machines when it tells you to.

:note: it will copy any VMware sessions you may have but it will not move over your BC partition. It did however grab everything else.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well on setup of my i5 it asked if I was new or migrating...pick migrating and then it takes it from there you just need firewire cable to plug between the machines when it tells you to.

:note: it will copy any VMware sessions you may have but it will not move over your BC partition. It did however grab everything else.

GOOD INFO!! I dont have BC currently but hoped to partition my 2tb in the iMac for Win 7.

So the migration assistant will copy over parallels as well as the programs within that virtual machine huh? Very good to know. Thanks Carressa!

I assume it will also copy over iTunes? I have a big library and last time I moved it I was in for a world of hurt. Spent a weekend getting it back to perfect. Or do I just set up the iMac as a sub account and use the MBP iTunes as my Master for home sharing? I was kinda thinking about doing the opposite if I can. Load up the iMac as the master since it will usually be on.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
GOOD INFO!! I dont have BC currently but hoped to partition my 2tb in the iMac for Win 7.

So the migration assistant will copy over parallels as well as the programs within that virtual machine huh? Very good to know. Thanks Carressa!

I assume it will also copy over iTunes? I have a big library and last time I moved it I was in for a world of hurt. Spent a weekend getting it back to perfect. Or do I just set up the iMac as a sub account and use the MBP iTunes as my Master for home sharing? I was kinda thinking about doing the opposite if I can. Load up the iMac as the master since it will usually be on.

It will copy your iTunes you will just have to authorize the new machine.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Yes, the migration assistant is defintely the way to go. Makes it all very easy.

Will you still be using iTunes on the MacbookPro? If not, be sure to de-authorize it.

The only other issue you might run into is having to re-authorize a few of the apps on the new machine by entering the serial numbers. Hope you have them handy as you may need them.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Yes, the migration assistant is defintely the way to go. Makes it all very easy.

Will you still be using iTunes on the MacbookPro? If not, be sure to de-authorize it.

The only other issue you might run into is having to re-authorize a few of the apps on the new machine by entering the serial numbers. Hope you have them handy as you may need them.

Yeah, Ive actually spent the last few days going through the leg work to get the keys reissued to me. Have them all lined up now.

Regarding iTunes, I do plan on using it on the MBP still. I take my MBP to work everyday. Its my mobile iTunes library. Im sure keeping the 2 copies of it synced up will be a challenge. Unless I do a Back To My Mac type of thing and access my iMac from my MBP. Im not even sure if that is doable.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Does Migration Assistant offer 'specifics' where you can just migrate over certain things like documents, etc? I really want a clean i7 and don't want to haul over superfluous stuff or junk that really shouldn't be there. Maybe I should just drag/drop from my external. ???

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
Meagain:
Eh, it's not as finely grained as Time Machine can be -- but you can specify the age of stuff you want to transfer over.

I'm probably not going to use Migration Assistant for mine because I have actually stuff from multiple drives I want to consolidate -- so I'm going to be really overly finicky about it. What I do always tend to do though is to drag over my mail stuff so I don't have to bother exporting/importing any of that. I don't know all the locations off hand, but most of it is in the Library folder in your user folder.

If you have the time and the hard drive space, cloning your current drive as a time machine backup and then using Time Machine to migrate back can be a really solid way of having more granular control.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Meagain:
Eh, it's not as finely grained as Time Machine can be -- but you can specify the age of stuff you want to transfer over.

I'm probably not going to use Migration Assistant for mine because I have actually stuff from multiple drives I want to consolidate -- so I'm going to be really overly finicky about it. What I do always tend to do though is to drag over my mail stuff so I don't have to bother exporting/importing any of that. I don't know all the locations off hand, but most of it is in the Library folder in your user folder.

If you have the time and the hard drive space, cloning your current drive as a time machine backup and then using Time Machine to migrate back can be a really solid way of having more granular control.

I didnt realize TM allowed any kind of granular control? Oh wait, I can just simply enter TM and grab the folders I want.... ok I get it now! Good idea!

Im in the same boat as Meagain. I would prefer not to pull over any crap. But then again I have 2tbs to play with in the iMac so maybe Ill migrate everything, then spend some time cleaning up.

Cant I run Migration Assistant after Im all loaded up and ready to roll? It isnt something that needs to be done during the initial install, is it?

Either way, I cant wait for this machine to show up. I have everything lined up already. Cleaned up my desk area, got my backup solutions in place, just need my i7!!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Did yours ship already? Do you have an ETA?

Unfortunately no! I ordered on Nov 4th. Status still shows Not Yet Shipped. I called in because I noticed a pending transaction on the 11th. Joan said that usually implies shipment within 3 days, so I should expect it to ship today. But she couldnt promise anything. Ive been checking the status page constantly. Its getting out of control.

So this thread may have been a little early, but I like being prepared for these things.

By the way, Carressa? Ive been checking your thread often, how do you like the i5 so far? Did you migrate or start from fresh?

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
By the way, Carressa? Ive been checking your thread often, how do you like the i5 so far? Did you migrate or start from fresh?

Well since my iMac 24" ran like a champ I just went ahead and migrated everything. So far I don't see anything missing:). The i5 like I said before exceeded my expectations I couldn't be happier. Only thing that didn't handle the transfering of data is my BC Windows XP......but I won't go into that because windows and I do not get along and anything I say will sound like windows bashing :rolleyes:

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well since my iMac 24" ran like a champ I just went ahead and migrated everything. So far I don't see anything missing:). The i5 like I said before exceeded my expectations I couldn't be happier. Only thing that didn't handle the transfering of data is my BC Windows XP......but I won't go into that because windows and I do not get along and anything I say will sound like windows bashing :rolleyes:

LOL, I know how that is. Everyone at work thinks Im an Apple fan boy. I always say, yeah Im a fan of things that work!

So if I run the migration assistant and all I currently have is Parallels with Win 7, MA should grab that, shouldnt it? Ill just have to go back through and set up BC, right? I dont even know if Ill BC it. For what I use Windows for, Parallels has served me very well.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
So if I run the migration assistant and all I currently have is Parallels with Win 7, MA should grab that, shouldnt it? Ill just have to go back through and set up BC, right? I dont even know if Ill BC it. For what I use Windows for, Parallels has served me very well.

Yup should be a breeze!:apple:

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I started to mess around with manually moving things then got fed up. My old machine was super clean so I just used Migration Asst to haul over docs, photos, movies, etc.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Yes, you can run migration assistant after the fact.

I just noticed that too! I shouldve checked first before asking.

On another note, and I posted in another thread about it. I called Apple and they claim my iMac should ship around the 25th. I'm fine with waiting as long as I have an idea how long I have to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.