Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hi,

I've just bought a new iMac two weeks ago and I have nothing bad to say about it except the battery life of the Magic Mouse. When I installed the mouse it was at 100% and the wireless keyboard was also fully charged. Now two weeks later the keyboard is still at 100% but the mouse is at 58% now. Is it normal? Do I really have to change the batteries every 4 weeks? Apple promised a battery life of 4 months. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you!

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
My Magic Mouse is almost a week old and reads 95% battery life.

The Magic Mouse is supposed to go to sleep pretty quickly in order to conserve battery power.

Maybe it's the surface you're leaving it on. Something glossy might keep it from going asleep.
Are you leaving it on a mouse pad or a shiny desktop?

This sounds like something to keep an eye on.

Have Fun,
Keri

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
2 weeks of regular use and I'm at 68% using the batteries that came with it.

Just buy 4 AA NiMH rechargeables and a charger for $15'ish... they last longer on a charge than disposables and quickly start saving you money.

kristoffers4

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I always use the mouse on a mouse pad so that won't be the problem. I just find it quite weird. Don't like that very much. If this problem will stay I think it would be a good idea to buy rechargeable batteries. But Apple promised that the battery life would be 4 months and I expect that to be true. I'm disappointed...
And I don't think there will ever be a wired magic mouse...

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
I'm not disappointed at all - I was shocked when the mouse arrived with the batteries already installed! Most other suppliers would not include them in the first place.:D

Rich :cool:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Two weeks today and down to 68%.

edit: Nov 22nd. Three weeks and 2 days use - 62%. Daily use, at least 4 hrs per. One thing I noticed - although I leave it on normally, I turned it off one day when I was out for the day. When I turned it back on, the percentage increased a few points. For those who have low battery indication, it might be worth a try to cycle the power on it.

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Surely a rechargeable mouse that can be unplugged at the mouse end when charged is a no-brainer..?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
same here. i used to like wireless, but i hate wasting time when the connection occasionally needs to be reestablished.

i dont get the point of wireless really....i mean i hate dealing with batteries and the computer is right there to plug into....

all wireless devices should be like ps3 controllers in that they can be used wireless or plugged in, whatever you like

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I'm waiting to get my Magic Mouse tomorrow. In my experience the batteries always go quickly. Someone mentioned why do we need wireless?....because we can. It looks so much cleaner with a desk without wires. With Apple products being so clean and sleek looking, I wanted nothing more than to bring in wireless keyboard and mouse when I picked up my iMac.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm waiting to get my Magic Mouse tomorrow. In my experience the batteries always go quickly. Someone mentioned why do we need wireless?....because we can. It looks so much cleaner with a desk without wires. With Apple products being so clean and sleek looking, I wanted nothing more than to bring in wireless keyboard and mouse when I picked up my iMac.
i know what you mean. would be nice if they had a usb port you could connect to your comp with and charge to if you wanted

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I hate wired mice, however my cat loves them, hence my hate of wired mice.

What I don't understand is why Green Apple didn't build in a rechargeable battery and include a dock (they could have made the dock look like a yurt or a geodesic dome)... oh wait, I know why... because they couldn't figure out how to make a wireless dock for a wireless mouse :p

GreatOwl

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
i dont get the point of wireless really....i mean i hate dealing with batteries and the computer is right there to plug into....

all wireless devices should be like ps3 controllers in that they can be used wireless or plugged in, whatever you like

I do wish there was a way of plugging in to just recharge. However, in my case the wireless helps me out a great deal. i am recovering from surgery and can't always sit next to the computer screen. It does allow me to back off and sit in a recliner and work at the computer. Besides, I have enough wires running all over. I will change over to rechargeable batteries when the regular ones run out. I already have several and a charger so there is no additional expense.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
are you guys leaving your mouse on all time? or turning it off when done using the computer?

rkb37

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
I've been using my Magic Mouse for 3 weeks now and I just got the low battery warning (mouse now at 18%) and the keyboard at 62%. I haven't been turning off the mouse with the switch at night because I assumed it went to sleep after a period of inactivity, or with the computer. The computer is usually on and being used between 10-12 hours a day. But, I was hoping for at least 2-3 months, if not the 4 months claimed. Looks like it's time to find some good rechargeable batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.